Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 30 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 50 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

1984

CSL (Former Employee) Boynton Beach, FL (US)

ProsWorking with seniors. Getting to know coworkers who really care about what they are doing for others.

ConsBEWARE!!!!! Holiday Retirement is owned by an REIT that is interested in only one thing -- an attractive balance sheet for potential buyers. If you like being micro-managed to point of hysteria, then working at Holiday in any position just might be for you. You will be told by your manager, with delight in their heart, that you are being 'listened to' on every conversation you have by unknown manager at various corporate levels. This includes many calls that your manager requires you to be a part of during the week. You will be hounded, asked why you haven't done more, and questioned on everything. Your manager, who likely has no management experience, will send you emails at all hours of the day and night with cutesy fonts and colors imploring you to focus, achieve, reach further, etc. There will be no concrete suggestions, just motivational nonsense. This is what the majority of your manager's time is spent doing. Your laptop is preconditioned at the corporate 'shop' to allow anyone to completely review your every key stroke. By far the worst thing is that you must not get along with your manager team at your immunity. This is paramount to your success. If you 'defend' your managers that you work closely with every day, you will be chastised. Several of the mid-level managers pretend to have a heart for seniors and their lifestyle, but the truth is, they have chosen you because you really do care about seniors, and they twist your care for seniors, use it against you, and push you psychologically to the point of exhaustion. If you really think you could do this, check out how many CSLs leave the company within six months. It is absolutely unfortunate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company already. You are a hedge fund, not a senior living provider -- but you already knew that.

Does anyone know what they are doing any more?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking to assist seniors and provide for their daily needs.

ConsThe whole company concept has drastically changed over the past couple of years. Community Management training used to be at least 1 month and covered all areas of facility management. Now it seems that all the company wants is glorified telemarketers and if the building or residents need something, that is tough! Too many chiefs and not enough Indians so t speak! Have all these outside RDs, ASLs etc that have no clue what this business is about, but boy can they waist time emailing constantly and calling when management is busy in the dining room! The business is totally focussed on obsolete marketing techniques and operates like a "boiler room"! My wife and I were told by community managers that we were not to spend time talking to residents; make calls and more calls! The "Holiday Touch" died a long time ago!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the expensive and unproductive ancillary staff ie. the telemarketer/move-in focussed people who actually have no idea whatsoever about sales and marketing and go back to the old "Grass Roots" style operating and training.

The Holiday Touch is NEVER given to employers

Sales Leader (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsI have thought very long and hard about what to put in the "Pros" area... The residents are the only highlight from this company...

ConsI have been employed with Holiday for over a year now, and I have NEVER worked for a WORSE company THAN Holiday Retirement... No Support from upper management ( Regional Team, District Team ) they are always questioning Why? When? They believe they ALL have the answers and yet I have never seen one of them jump in and help a community... If your community is low in census they will show up and sit on their computers and phones... Hey Regional Team if you have the answers and you think you can sale; it would be nice for you to actually sale... But criticizing and belittling you in front of your peers is the way to go... 5 conference calls in a regular day is the norm and than they wonder why you don't have tours or move ins... Mangers for the community are run ragged, expected to work non stop... Sales Leaders are PRESSURED TO THE MAX, if you like being threaten with your job on a weekly basic this is the job for you...

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Holiday Retirement,

Prices are to high for the quality-of-life you have for your residents... You can't ask Managers and Sales Leaders to perform miracles... And yet you do on a daily basis... Give your community support and the tools they need to make Holiday shine, but you have a bunch of "Corp Bosses" making changes and beating people up instead of supporting them... Here's a "NEWS FLASH" without HAPPY employees you don't get that big bonus check... REMEMBER it's the employees that make and give that so called Holiday Touch, the way you treat your employees is a joke... I would never recommend a Holiday Community and I would never move a family member in one...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Co-Manager

Co-Manager (Couple) (Former Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsEnjoyed our time with the residents!

ConsDisorganization was rampant at regional level and above.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop misrepresenting what the Co-Manager and Manager jobs involve. The expectation and hours expected reach far beyond anything discussed throughout the hiring process.

They take 1st and 2nd place for worst company

Community Manager (Former Employee)

ProsResidents and staff and a fair bonus system

ConsMake a list of everything you would not do as a company and this will be the foundation of Holiday. It is hard to believe that a company can exist like this. Maybe they cant and that is why they are selling off communities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo need they haven't listened to any of the advise that everyone else has suggested. This many professional people can't be that far off base. After having met Kai before his promotion i feel bad for him as I believe he would like to do things right.

OPPORTUNITY LOST!!!

Community Manager (Current Employee) Savannah, GA (US)

ProsDefinately the residents and their stories. Helping families and loved ones through what can be a difficult time.

ConsA business model that has been perverted by wallstreet. The focus is occupancy only. No regard for onsite managers and staff. Regional and corporate support consists of "who is moving in by 5pm wednesday?" or you need 5 more move ins by next week. I have friends driven to ill health by the stress from regionals also desparate to get their bonus or to just keep a job. Considering a job at Holiday? ask yourself, why is there such a widespread "blitz" of advertising for filling positions nationwide? You only need to blanket or saturate advertising if you cannot hire and RETAIN your employees. These jobs used to be filled by word of mouth and recomendation. There are many communities with one set of managers and several without any onsite teams! Do your own research online before jumping on board.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the business model, staff and support from the top down. Your onsite staff is the key to success. Not dividends to your investors. Instead of focusing on a resident living 34 months and generating $255,000 of income, focus on making every day a great day!

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY

Community Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAlmost none, certainly not on the company side. If you're lucky to work in a good location, you will find wonderful clients & congenial (if somewhat overworked, over-regulated & desperately underpaid) colleagues.

ConsEverything, from their attitude toward their clients to the attitude towards staff. This business, which is SUPPOSED to be about taking care of older people is really nothing but sell, sell, sell.... and generally speaking selling something that's wrong for the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell this business to someone who actually wants to do what you say you do.

Run away -- dont even walk towards this company

Community Manager (Current Employee) Grand Junction, CO (US)

ProsResidents are great. Too bad they are not loved by corporate. Apt is "OK" - nothing to brag about. You don't use much gas in your car. No need to purchase food.

ConsLong Hours -- by the time you add up the hours and what you are getting paid -- it is less than min wage. Upper management seems to think they know everything and how each building is to be treated the same. They don't realize each part of the country is very different --even in their own region.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay "Thank you" once in awhile. That goes along way instead of just demanding everything all the time. We are people too and have had corporate careers and sucessful businesses. Some of our doing this for the passion of working with older people.

If thinking of working for this company.. approach very cautiously. VERY difficult company to work for.

Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsYou work with seniors and you are able to help them get out of bad situations at home and into a safe community.

ConsI am a sales leader for this company, meaning I am in "charge" of the sales for the community. Base salary is very poor. Bonus structure does make up for it IF, and i Emphasize IF, you have a good community. If your community has a poor dining or acitvities program. You WILL fail. Management micromanages you to the extreme. Hourly calls, harassing emails at all hours othe night. Belittling from high level management, no actual help, just screaming to get things fixed and deliver without any actual advice on how to handle these problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the micromanagement culture, trust your staff to do what they were hired to do. Actually CARE about the seniors you serve and not about their wallets.

Don't care about employees except sales/marketing

ProsI get paid on time. Working with the seniors and helping them is personally rewarding.

ConsWhere do I begin? False advertising.(internet site nothing like the real thing) absolutely no rewards, bonuses or compensation for employees. Lucky if you get 20-25 cent raise a year. Been with company 3 years and have made a whole 60 cents more, since. Its obvious this is an investors company and all they care about is the bottom dollar. Always telling us to cut spending around the middle of the month. (So bigwigs can get their bonuses) Mean while residents suffer, employee moral low. ALOT of employees coming and going requiring new training every time so we are always spending time on orientation, classes. Our facility, (lol, yes facility, not community) kitchen is the filthiest and dining director comes in and what? Doesn't even look at the filth on top of the refrigerators, under tables, etc. Im only here until I find a company that gives a crap about their employees and their residents. Sales makes hundreds of dollars as incentives every time they bring in a resident, then 3 months later they want to go live somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice because they are not going to listen anyways. Simple, pay dedicated employees what they deserve and stop paying sales/marketing so much money. Spread the wealth.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!