Holiday Retirement

Updated 22 January 2015
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Unorganized chaos with constant negativity 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

slightly below average pay, ability to travel, you get to meet some great seniors and hear some amazing stories from their lives.

Cons

Zero time off with 7 day work week and don't even think about asking for time off at the end of the month.
    illogical, irrational pricing
    horrible, non caring, unethical, management at nearly every level
    Useless HR department
    Resident well being is the last priority of this company

Resign!

Do not apply

Current Employee - Community Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the seniors are wonderful

Cons

Corporate management is extremely misguided

In the beginning it was tough, The company operates differently than most companies.

Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - C0-Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First and foremost the residents make it all worth the commitment it takes for this job. The pay is very reasonable especially if your bonuses are great. The perks are great. On-site Managers only pay for their cell phone if they live on-site. On-site managers do not pay for housing, cable, utilities or food. It is hard honest work. You do earn all that you get but if you want to be able to sock away some money this is the way to go.

Cons

Manager's are only teams and both managers must stay on-site after office hours. Be prepared to work long hours.

Only one of the team should stay on-site like the floaters. This would eliminate some of the anxiety of not being able to leave and make it more comfortable for the on-call team. More managers would stay with the company.

Absolutely NO Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ever changing bonus plan can be lucrative. They do pay a bonus every month if you have at least two move ins. They do reimburse your expenses within two weeks.

Cons

Only three days off per month with your family, if you're lucky. They don't care about you, just move ins. That's very clear. No trust in employees. They could write a book on micro-managament. Minimum of three conference calls each day. One first thing in the morning to tell them what you'll be doing, one at lunch to tell them your progress for the day, then another at 4:30 to tell them what your're going to to do the following day.

Require that your sales staff be in the building during peak selling times. That's Monday through Friday. If you give us flexibility, we'll come in on Saturday's when a hot prospect is available. Sitting in the building making phone calls and hoping for a walk-in is a poor use of time. Just look at the data for walk-ins and new leads. The majority do not come in on Saturday and Sunday. Stop managing all the communities as if they are in a major metropolitan market. Some are not. Shift resources to the communities that have low lead generation. The communities with the highest census have the highest marketing budget. Where is the logic there.

I wish I had a better first job experience.

Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Newberg, OR (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Server position hours are great for a student. The bonds and relationships you are able to create with the residents are priceless.

Cons

Bad management. Constantly firing (or people quitting) and hiring people. Too many employees for shift requirements so getting a lot of shifts is impossible. Too high of job expectations in the given shift time. Poor training. Pretty terrible working environment.

You need to cut back on the amount of servers you have so everyone can get a good amount of shifts. You can't just solve all problems by firing people. The expectations on time are unrealistic. Unless you have a certain time that the residents must be out of the dining room, servers can't control how long it takes to do certain tasks. Also, if you want your servers to be time efficient they need better training.

Upper management Demeaning,Disrespectful,Micromanagers,Unethical business, Excellent staff leave,Discourages teamwork

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved working with the seniors . Loved working with my Co workers. Could not perform my duties as I was told to close the door and telemarket entire day.

Cons

Regional Director is a Bully and drove an entire region of staff to leave. Harassment, Bullying, Daily & Micro Managing competent staff. Managers required to telemarket entire day &report stats hourly neglecting seniors . Unethical business practises. Moving seniors in against the families wishes who required higher care.

Deal with and take seriously bully regional directors that harass & micro manage managers & sales staff. An entire region of sales & management staff have quit due to these techniques. Seniors are not promoting the community due to neglect of their needs & by having instability amongst the overly high turnover. Seniors and staff are not happy and are Not telling others about Holiday except to Stay away!

If I could rate it 0 stars, I would.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The residents. I grew to care for them, and they me.

Cons

Low pay, high expectations, no communication with upper management. You are on your own

Start from scratch. You need a new business model.

they took my dream and turned it into a nightmare

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you sure can save a lot of money, no time to save it

Cons

My typical workday seemed custom-built to destroy individual focus. A ceaseless tide of meetings and internal emails means an increasingly scramble to get real work done on the margins, early in the morning or late in the evening.

Four months. That’s how long it took for my passion and excitement to fade into anxiety and panic. While it was true that I didn’t know exactly what to expect in my new role, four months just seems too short of a honeymoon. Yesterday’s opportunity of a lifetime is no longer worth the sacrifice today.
    When hired I wrongly assumed that I was hired because I was excellent fisherman, only to discover that I was expected to spend a great deal of my time cutting bait and cleaning fish.
    Understanding, there is an unlimited number of fish that need to be cleaned, I quickly became overwhelmed at the thought that some of my co-workers are spending more time fishing, and not doing their fair share of the bait cutting and fish-cleaning responsibilities. I am convinced that there are endless piles of useless uncleansed fish piling up.
    In my few short weeks with Holiday Retirement I have come to the conclusion that groupthink-like behavior is prevalent within the organization.
    One example for this harsh statement:
    Conference calls have to be one of the least efficient and most painful ways for people in any organizations to communicate.
    My observations as why conference calls fail are simply these:
    1: Failure to establish clear etiquette at the beginning of the conference call.
    a; background noise from cell phones or other sources.
    b; participants talk over each other
    c; trouble tracking who is speaking
    2: Hogging the spotlight
    Believing that as the leader, you have to be the expert, an old-fashioned expert model that simply does not work. Any leader that dominates more than 50 percent of the time talking is hogging the spotlight.
    3: Talking rather than engaging
    Talking at participants goes hand-in-hand with an outdated expert model. It’s just not working, it’s clear to me that the leader is working too hard.

I don’t think anyone person set this up as a conspiracy, however those in leadership positions let it happen, because if you think about it, that’s exactly what’s not supposed to happen. We all make fun of government agencies because they just make up meaningless jobs. They make up jobs, moving things from one side to another. Or the requirement to have three different people to buy a piece of bread, you have to get a ticket from one, you have to go over here to get a number then get in that line to get the slice of bread. My observations are that, we’re making up meaningless office jobs, and these guys are basically paid to act busy all day. A lot of them may really work one or two hours, and the rest of the time they’re downloading stuff from the Internet, or playing around on Facebook or something. But, their job is to sit in an office, and basically valorize the idea that everybody should look busy all the time, that work is valuable in itself.

take a good look at your internal operations

Top-Heavy Upper Management with Minimal Concern (or time) for Residents! There are NO winners!

Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the residents and my fellow employees. Nice physical environment to walk into each day and lovely senior residents with which to engage.

Cons

Many cooperate requirements for all positions plus the actual corporate values take time away from creating a positive, living environment to the CURRENT residents that are paying to live at the Holiday community. The community is run on minimal staff, all who give 110%, creates stressful and unhealthy work environments. Way too heavy on the upper-management with too many bosses that creates conflict among the individual community management positions.

This company is extremely upper-management heavy. Each full-time facility position (manager, chef, maintenance, sales leader) has a different regional manager that travels to "manage and trouble -shoot" issues that arise - many times the issues are among the various full-time community positions. I saw so many upper management regionals arrive to the facility, tour the apartments and provide feedback to the various community manager position (whether it be the on-site manager, sales leader or maintenance manager), each regional manager with differing ideas and solutions as to "what will sell the apartments" than the other upper management. This causes conflict within the facility staff as each regional has a different "opinion" and "fix" to the problem and causes confusion and conflict between the community staff. All the while, the current residents needs and issues are NEVER addressed. The focus is ALWAYS on getting the apartment filled and NEVER on what might keep the CURRENT residents satisfied. The current residents deserve better but will NEVER get it because the facility is run with MINIMAL staff that work hard but will never be enough to provide any extras to the residents. The residents get the bare minimum due to the corporate structure of required daily marketing calls by the sales leaders AND managers on duty, one maintenance man, one 32-hr enrichment coordinator, 3 full-time servers/housekeepers all for 100+ residents. There are no winners here at the Holiday Retirement communities!

Be prepared for the worst and you may survive - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I personally enjoy most residents and most staff. I also enjoy working with my spouse. I am a very positive person and also really enjoy the sales side including making calls and tours. You can save a lot of money/pay off debts as there are almost no expenses: housing, utilities, meals, housekeeping provided...and you walk to work (no driving or weather).

Cons

As a manager; you will clean up after residents (imagine the worst)! You will have to serve and bus tables when staff are late or no-shows. You will make lots of phone calls (marketing). You will deal with lazy fellow managers. Some managers are so obese or unable to do the job that you will be doing their work also. You will have to do reports and be on conferance calls multiple times per day. Your training will not prepare you for all this happening to you. Imagine having a server not show up for lunch on Saturday (common occurrence). You are serving, your spouse/partner is pouring coffee (holiday touch), the phone is ringing (no receptionist), a family walks in and wants to take a tour and the emergency system sounds (a resident needs you in their apartment). You finally get through all this and a resident comes in to say a resident has had diarrhea in the elevetor. You get to clean it up (no help on weekends). Oh, yea, don't forget to get back in the office and make those marketing calls and be on the regional conference call. This has happend to us several times with variations. If you can handle this, this is the job for you!!

I have no advise as this is the job and no one is willing to change it from above.

Holiday Retirement Photos