Holiday Retirement

Updated 19 September 2014
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 30 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 50 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Holiday reitrement company is unorgainized

Current Employee - Server  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sense of community, good coworkers

Cons

Managers change often. Poor decisions by former managers

Please try to be more consistent and don't leave after 2 months

Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People at the community level. Holiday has some really great and caring people.

Cons

Corporate. Micromanagement is the name of the game. Holiday abandoned it's mission statement and the cornerstones of the company long ago for the all mighty dollar!
    I really love the model that Holiday had in their communities, but they run the risk of losing really great talent with their new company culture. They tie the team up with calls and meetings and unrealistic tour volume and move in expectations but won't look at the big picture.
    They don't value the resident anymore, it's just money. I've seen 3 different CEO's in the short time I've been with Holiday and every change has been worse for the associate and resident. The message now is "do it or you will be held accountable". aka fired
    Regional and corporate need to focus on positive reinforcement and appreciation and value the growth we've had and the team that got them there. Stop being so reactionary and put together a long term strategic plan for continued growth.
    If not, they run the risk of losing all the great talent they have.

Make your employees happy to work for Holiday again. Everyone I know is looking for another job. ... Wake up and smell the unhappiness!

Not appreciated

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love elderly people and wanted to make a difference

Cons

My wife and I worked as managers for three years. The only time you felt important is when you assisted the CSL in closing a contract. Wore ourselves out for the company which does not seem to care about the residents. Most residents pay large amounts per
    month and I was not permitted to buy steak for the valentine banquet because it was too expensive. Managers and Sales Leaders are terminated whenever they do not maintain a high census and make a huge monthly profit for the company. We finally left the company because the company was using us to PR for them to the residents (residents loved us) while the company was wanting to treat the residents poorly. Advice to prospective residents - find somewhere else to live.

You have forgot who butters the bread and you are now losing so many good managers and sales leaders that the communities are suffering. Stop the greed before it eats you alive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free apt. and free food- thats it. There are NO good things.

Cons

Your complete life is given up. You have no time to travel or to anything or even enjoy the money you make. You are over worked and under paid.Upper management lies to you and to others.. they say whatever to get the sale or employee to do what they want. You think as an employee that what you read about HR is disgruntled employees...then you work for them and you find out it is ALL TRUE and VERY BAD. Horrible company to work for.

Upper management will lie when the truth would be better and people eventually find out what lies they are ... then the company looks even worse.
    Sadly I know you dont care since almost every building makes over a million in profits even after ALL the BILLS ARE PAID.

In sales? Avoid this company like the plague.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

Holiday Retirement seems to have started out as a great idea. I suppose it can be a good starting place for a persons initial sales job. There is sound sales structure and marketing ideas. The culture within a community can be rewarding. The best part of working at Holiday Retirement is that you have the opportunity to meet some truly amazing and wonderful people. The residence at Holiday Retirement are truly awesome!

Cons

The company supplied laptop is constantly being access remotely and scrutinized by regional management. It is an inside joke that if a Community Sales Leader lasts 6 months that they are considered "old timers". The program that is used is called InTouch, it is a freaking nightmare! Upper management freely admits it yet nothing is done about it nor is there any training on it, at least not during the joke that Holiday Retirement calls training. Yet that same upper management will expect its sales staff ("Community Sales Leaders") to hit the ground running after only a cursory introduction of the program, expectations, and "training". The micromanaging done by Holiday Retirement is an Orwellian nightmare! The only real "perk" is that employees, if they are traveling can stay in a Holiday Retirement guest room...it the management for that particular location is given advance notice. Personal growth...you will be disappointed. Working for Holiday Retirement will NOT allow for any work-life balance, they will tell you that you need to have a life but the demands that are placed on you will never allow balance.

The most honest advice I could give to the management of Holiday Retirement is to ask themselves what they are hoping to accomplish. The current sales culture needs to be looked at. In case you did not realize it, micromanaging never works in the long term. You have to decide what is more important to you, the short or long term. Treat ALL of your employees as professionals instead of liabilities.

SAD TO LEAVE

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The residents and friendships we made with both staff and residents.......

Cons

Everything, they pit all staff against everyone.....

Sell

Impressive company!

Current Employee - Ssl  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Ssl in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

This has been a great company for career growth. Management works with you to see your potential.

Cons

Long hours, as expected with career growth.

Continue showing support to each employee.

No Holiday Touch

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Kawaika-A, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Kawaika-A, AZ (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Residents and Associates are wonderful. I have nothing positive to say about the company or corporate. I wish they were the old Holiday prior to the sale in 2007.

Cons

Regional Director and Corporate have no people skills. They are very uncaring. Regional Director will not visit long at the community and doesn't pour coffee to residents, unlike the old Holiday. The Regional Maintenance has no respect to residents. Says they have to even carpet clean the resident's apartment even if the resident doesn't want it. Just because they live there, it isn't their building (Holiday's new motto). It's the Regional Directors Building. Even though he doesn't own it or writes the checks. P*ss poor and thoughtless is what they are. They even put people into a a mentor training and two weeks of classroom training, even if you were with the company in the past. Waste of resident's money. They have classroom training every two weeks in three different states. Has to be a clue that they constantly go through management. The regional also interviews you by Skype. They don't have the time to interview you in person. They are 100% Sales and Computers. 0% Residents. No communication skills with Corporate.

Go back to the old Holiday Grass Roots. New Holiday garbage sucks to residents and staff.

Make up your mind

Former Employee - Regional Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people both seniors and most of the property level teams

Cons

No consistent message to the field. The company does not allow enough time to see if an idea is successful.

You claim you hire good people. Stop micromanaging them. The multi times per day updates are verging on harassment

Community Sales Leader

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives.

Cons

Long Hours, micro managers, company ahead of residents

work a week in our position. Get to know the residents and make upper management accountable instead of putting the community managers out to dry.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!