Honda of America Mfg.
www.ohio.honda.com Marysville, OH 5000+ Employees

Honda of America Mfg. Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Tomomi Kosaka

Pros:
  • "Overall the pay and benefits are good for the area that they employ from"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good pay Hours are strict, must work when they tell you"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

My experience with HAM in the NAT department has been fast paced, rewarding, and exhilarating!

Industrial Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern for more than a year

ProsHonda actually cares about each one of their workers, the leadership I had in my department was providing me with knowledge outside of just doing my current job but assisting me in acquiring my dreams and goals. Honda employees are very enjoyable and easy to talk to about ideas despite some of them being difficult to implement

ConsA lot of upper management have become accustom to the way things are, instead of fighting against the norm to implement changes that could drastically improve systems! I feel Honda has gotten a bit dull in the design of their cars and are afraid to step outside the box and offer exciting models! Loosing their way in what made Honda Great!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of the core values of Honda! A lot of major issues between Honda's corporations goes unseen, hurting the growth between networks!

Honda Manufacturing - Internship

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern for less than a year

ProsInterns/Co-ops get to work on many different projects related to the assembly line. You get a lot of exposure to Honda's manufacturing methods. Coworkers were great.

ConsThey had some bad past experiences with co-ops and didn't have very high expectations. You have to prove that you really want to learn something from working there.

Worked there 27 years, career advancement is good if you get along with the boss.

Honda Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people, decent pay, good hours

ConsVery redundant type atmosphere. Check Check double check! Honda is cost cutting big time. They are taking away benefits and not giving raises like they use too.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around more, dont select peoplae based on how well you get along with them.

Things have changed

Marysville, OH (US)

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsDecent pay. Up until recently, management had a strong attitude that the front line worker was key to success. They were given the tools they needed, listened to, and respected.

ConsLately, decision are made secretly and not shared.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what is going on in Japan Operations. It has gotten scary in the last ten months!

Stay Away

Assembly Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. as a contractor for more than a year

ProsPlenty of good people working here. Work is fast paced and varied. In present economy there are not many better jobs.

Cons1) Hiring off the street and ignoring long-term temps is a pathetic inexcusable practice.
2) Plenty of worthless people working here too.
3) Management is worse than stupid. Worse than stupid? Yes. They do it on purpose!

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe try a different profession?

Challenging, great for resume, place to land for a few years then get out.

Buyer (Current Employee)
Raymond, OH (US)

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of individual decision making, lots of responsibility and chances to make decisions.

ConsLarge office, no much chance for promotion, very manufacturing orientated workplace. Mid level management doesn't do much, more babysitting than actually responsibility, which is passed onto lower level associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore incentives, more reason to do a "better" job, not promoted because of how long you've sat in chair rather how much you've accomplished.

As a temporary employee- Treated as trash

Temporary Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIts a paying job that is better then working in a gas station. Most of the people are good hard working.

ConsBeing a temp. and watching Honda hire people off the street faster then giving the temporary employee's a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the full-time the hard working men & women who work years in your factory more of an opportunity for employment. Those who think they will have a better shot at getting a job for Honda if they temp are mistaken...it hurts more then helps.

Tempered expectations

Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than a year

ProsJob security
Not much else to speak of

ConsLack of accountability in management
Unattainable expectations
Poor work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least in the purchasing world management needs to start supporting associates instead of continually tearing them down. The amount of work that is expected of associates is unrealistic and it only creates tension between associates. There is no longer a sense of "Honda", but instead it is CYA everywhere you turn.

Flat Organization, lack of middle level management structure, no growth opportunities

Engineering Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStability for an auto manaufacturer

ConsReduction in benefits each year for the last 10 years

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the Honda Philosophy of the past where there was respect for the individual and rewards for good work ethic

Alarmed over the Corrupt Management and HR at HAM

Production Associate (Former Employee)
Anna, OH (US)

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay and benefits. Generally safe. Mostly a clean environment. Great product! More good people than the company morons have the aptitude to recognize. Good area to harvest workers from...or it would be if we didn't treat people like a commodity!

Cons"Good old boys system" in Management and HR. No system for checks and balances to establish respect for the individual. Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor. HR is a crime in the making. NOT professional! American management establishing their version of the Honda Way has led to much strife and criminal activity. People are scared for their jobs. There are many many workers not willing to give their ALL. I attribute this to poor leadership! If someone in management has a beef with you they have many tools to "get" you and are willing to destroy careers to do it! Very sad times. Caring about your work is running second fiddle to people who "think" they are running the show. Many fat cats doing practically nothing to produce the product. Incompetent white collars everywhere. Poor leadership and advancement procedures. Perhaps a refection of the greater societal woes of our times

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to respecting your workers. Get rid of the ones who don't want to work....go to the spot and open your eyes. If you are part of the management problem then FIX it! Get out on the floor and take a day or two each month and use your hands and mind to WORK. Get rid of the HR establishment and for heavens sake give the good worker temps a full time position if they show that they are good workers. Be fair and be hesitant to trash peoples lives!

Worked for Honda of America Mfg.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Honda of America Mfg. reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Honda of America Mfg. CEO Tomomi Kosaka. All 70 reviews are posted anonymously by Honda of America Mfg. employees.