Hot Topic

Updated 11 December 2014
3.2

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper
Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Almost no rules for dress code, you can be as different as you want to be (in 52 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store (in 24 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Anonymous

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

Great Team and embrace Family despite being competitive

Cons

none. It is an awesome place to work

Hours only during the holidays

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Roseville, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Roseville, MI (US)

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

Great work atmosphere, great work goals and incentive programs. Fun ways to earn skullys and become employee of the month. Great communication and guidelines in the company, there are little to no grey areas in training and plans for the store layout.

Cons

Difficult to advance in the company. They dont care about education, only work background. Hours not during the holiday suck- your paychecks will be $40 or less.

remember to give employees their breaks and positive reinforcement for great sales, or following merchandising guidelines.
    when calling employees to not come in for their shift because the store is doing well, call with more than an hours notice.

Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

They're very flexible, open minded people.

Cons

Not enough hours available. It felt short staffed at times.

Wouldn't Trade My Experience...

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is great. If you are passionate about the company and you work hard, there are opportunities for advancement. I worked here 5 years, starting as a seasonal sales associate and made my way up to Assistant Manager. Great job for high school / college students, but could very well become a career for some. Coworkers ruled, felt like a family. Holiday bonuses possible, concert ticket reimbursement available, and a VERY good associate discount (40%, often times ON TOP of promotions or clearance pricing). I got all my clothing here!!! Very lax dress code, and obviously body modifications are acceptable. AWESOME merchandise, always something new and cool to merchandise and talk about with excited customers. Encouraged to be yourself, express individuality, and be creative in your work. Fun customers (for the most part) and upbeat atmosphere. Sales goals weren't unreachable, and were overall realistic and doable if your team is all on board. Although I did not qualify for benefits, I heard they were great. Sick / Vacation time was also available to full time employees.

Cons

They make up for poor pay rates with the great associate discount. I would have loved to stay, but I needed to make more to support myself. Not always practical for someone relying on this job to fully support themselves. Customers could sometimes be a little crazy (think grandmas showing you their nipple rings), but hey, it is to be expected for the most part and was often kind of entertaining. Sometimes there were not enough hours to get all tasks done to perfection.

For many, Hot Topic is a potential life long career and employees usually do have a great passion for their work and the HT culture. Consider this when looking at compensation. Like myself, I am sure many dedicated and knowledgeable employees would love to continue working here, but had to sacrifice an awesome job for better pay somewhere else.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good music,keep you in the loop of up and coming trends. Awesome co-workers. Good pt/high school job

Cons

Schedules all over the place. No real full time unless key holder/managememt

Great company, horrible pay

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

great environment to work in, interesting customer base, great employee discount

Cons

excessively low pay, many in upper management are stuck in the past, not accepting of new trends even though they claim to be "cutting edge"

Employee discounts dont pay bills. If you want to keep a respectable management staff don't refuse to pay anyone.

couldve been better

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX (US)

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get a good discount

Cons

no hours, bad management, no training

give more hours

Okay experience

Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met a lot of great co-workers, you have freedom of style, listen to great music while you work, can be laid back at times.

Cons

I was a manager and you literally get written up for EVERYTHING. Managers were sleeping with each other, would come in high or hungover, and I would have to pick up the workload. I would then get written up for petty things, alongside my other co-workers...like missing one customer greeting. Everyone steps all over each other to move up, although they do offer decent pay. Corporate doesn't listen to a word you say, which is not good CSR.

LISTEN to your staff. They have great ideas. As a former manager, I had a store manager who kept threatening me that I had to come back to work or I would get fired...I had a stomach virus for 3 days...with a note...and strep. That was my first time every calling out. Threats get you nowhere.

Best place ever

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everything. Loved working for the company

Cons

Nothing it was the best time of my life

Love working for Hot Topic

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

FT benefits (our insurance is so cheap compared to everyone else I know, & it's great insurance).

Decent pay. Hourly employees.

Fun environment & great work family.

Wear what you like, be weird, have visible tattoos & piercings.

Listen to great music most of the day.

Mostly awesome customer base.

Cons

Hours!!! We get very little payroll to work with & that puts more stress on the whole team to be ultra superheroes every minute if the job.

At times, hq puts completely unrealistic goals on the store teams, again, with no payroll to accomplish these tasks.

You do get the really weird, totally out there customers that think because you're a little strange, they can tell you all their kinky weird stuff.

Pay is okay. Again, the benefits & the discount help keep employees around for the lower pay scale.

Spend more on payroll & give your teams better pay for all the hard work they do!

Hot Topic Photos