Human Rights Campaign Reviews

Updated 15 August 2014
Updated 15 August 2014

4.2

CEO

Fantastic summer internship program.

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, phenomenal educational opportunities, generally has an open-door culture. The program focuses on professional development in a way that few other internships do. Enjoyed the mentoring aspect.

Cons

Like any other internship, it is what you make it. No stipend, so not a place to work unless you're actually passionate about the issues.

Keep doing what you're doing! Consider adding a stipend to make the program more competitive with other internships in the progressive D.C. circle.

loved most of it; hated some experiences

I worked at Human Rights Campaign

Pros

met some of my best friends working there

Cons

slim opportunities for advancement. Abysmal handling, regardless of circumstances, of staff who are parting with the organization. Do better at pursuing justice justly.

GOOD WORK, GREAT ENVIRONMENT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Laid-back environment with a high energy staff. Very bright and open setting. HRC is highly strategic in the work that it does and plans out strategies excellently.

Cons

Sometimes Senior Management can treat other staff like they are below them. Sometimes "favorites" get away with doing very little while other staff is loaded down with work. Compensation could be higher for entry level staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive internship experience, but could use improvement

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing people, very inviting work environment, opportunity to attend interesting events, great opportunity to grow on a personal level. They hire a great number of former interns.

Cons

The internship is unpaid, which is always a con. They offer a very modest stipend of $100, which doesn't even cover a 28-day pass for the Metro. The workload is not always sufficient; interns are there to learn and grow professionally, it's perfectly fine to give them real work and responsibilities.

There should be a stipend that accurately reflects how much transportation costs.

Pretty good experience with some drawbacks

Former Employee - Communications Intern  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone was exceptionally friendly; the interns (and law fellows, to an extent) all bonded. Opportunities to attend events with lots of big names in D.C. They hire out of the intern pool a LOT.

Cons

Unpaid, only $100 in travel stipend for 10 weeks, which is ridiculously low for D.C.'s metro system. Few of the interns had enough work to do; I knew someone who regularly went home at 2 or 3 p.m. and everyone else was surfing the Internet for at least half the day. There's some, but not a lot of, critical examination of the HRC party line.

Expect more of your interns! They can all handle more work, and more substantive work too.

Interning with HRC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern

Pros

I think the atmosphere at HRC is amazing. The people are really nice and there's no one with a superiority complex. We have a lot of help available to us as interns and people are always eager to answer any questions you have. You learn a lot about the LGBT movement and its history. The brownbag luncheons were really informative. They also feed you really great food!

Cons

The internship was unpaid and our travel stipends were really meager, which makes it a bit difficult to manage.

I know it may not be possible to pay interns, but please think about raising the amount you give interns for the travel stipend.

Good place to learn, not to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work on key issues in the LGBT community and be a part of measurable change in state and federal work. HRC is a leader with strong funding ties, making it a very stable place to work. At HRC, there's a good opportunity for learning a set of varied skills outside of the immediate demands of the work.

Cons

Very corporate culture and a reputation for steamrolling other organizations that can make the internal politics of the broader coalition difficult to navigate. In some departments, there is no opportunity to move up either because of existing structure or a tendency to hire management from an external pool of applicants rather than from within.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

Pros

great people, great atmosphere, helpful brownbag lunch series for interns

Cons

it sucks that the internships are unpaid

Great

Employee friendly job and one where you feel you are contributing to society, in a good industry

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, atmostphere, great communication among employees and management, pretty good benefits early in career, somewhat immune to economic flucuations

Cons

Seasonal, somewhat limited room for advancement, there are a few bad employees, some of whom are gatekeepers, but there are workarounds

Apply the rules to everyone, monitor hours a little more closely

Greatest summer internship I could ask for

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Incredible staff who want to hear your opinions, even if you are on the low end of the totem pole. They do awesome work, both politically and through their foundation, and are pushing to include more and more people in the fight for LGBT equality.

Cons

The internship was unpaid, which made it hard financially, but it was certainly extremely educational and worth more than what I pay for a semester of college.

Worked for Human Rights Campaign? Contribute to the Community!