Humana Reviews

Updated 17 October 2014
3.2

Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard

Pros
  • work from home opportunities and can grow from within when others leave (in 46 reviews)

• many fantastic internal opportunities for current employees; enjoy the work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little hard to maintain (in 21 reviews)

• Health insurance benefits offered to its own employees could be definitely better (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

I have great experiance with Humana

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida

I have been working at Humana as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great Experience and learning opportunity

Cons

Never face any cons till the date

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Big company with a small company feel. Great people that seem like family.

Cons

Hard to get upward movement/promotion past the consultant role. Easy to move around the company laterally.

Focus on the quality within the company.

Large company with great pay and decent benefits.

I have been working at Humana

Pros

There is much room for lateral, promotional, and career-changing moves within the company, making it a good place for a career.

Cons

Silos in certain areas and departments can cause serious delays in getting things done in a timely manner, especially in tech.

HR is heavily contracted out for job process, generally inefficient. Move this in house ASAP.

Depends on the department you work...

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work and great people

Cons

Horrible medical insurance for their employees

Nice company

Former Employee - Medicare Customer Service in Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Medicare Customer Service in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Humana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training program. Starting salary was great at the time I started my position in the company. More of a family atmosphere in the company. Managers and Supervisors and other higher ups were very accessible. Taking calls for the Medicare side,

Cons

I wasn't a fan of the time off policies, where all vacation and sick time is rolled into one. Part of the reason I left was due to the fact that I felt I could not advance. There is room for advancement within the company, don't get me wrong, but certain departments would not even grant me an interview, even though I received good reviews for my work in my primary department, and other projects I were assigned to. It felt like to advance, you had to be chummy with certain people higher up. When I did advance, the position was phased out months later.

The health insurance benefits were ok at best overall. High deductible health plan. Paying out of pocket for prescriptions.

There were times where Customer Service Reps received additional duties without any additional compensation for their work.

Cares about employees well-being

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary is good and the work environment and the people are great. Humana has a strong focus on well-being and promotes the wellness of employees with great programs, on site gyms, healthy foods.

Cons

With a big company and many processes, sometimes the red tape gets in the way of addressing issues quickly. Luckily the people truly care, it just takes awhile to get things done.

Empower associates to have more authority to get things done because it's the right thing to do. Tear down the barriers that slow things down.

Great Company

Current Employee - Program Manager in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Humana as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Get to work as per interest

Cons

too many meetings sometimes which is annoying

Depends on who you work for

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, salary, HumanaVitality, coworkers, agile work opportunities, excellent 401k match

Cons

leadership - Humana is very hierarchical and your leader as far as 3 levels up can have a huge impact on your day-to-day work. Who you report to greatly determines your overall experience at Humana. Some co-workers have amazing bosses and love coming to work. Mine, on the other hand have made my life miserable at times. My advice: do a lot of research as to who you will be reporting to and what they are like to work for.

Need more consistency across leaders. Most leaders are not yet walking the well-being talk that you are claiming is most important to your company.

Ok if you can hack it.

Former Employee - Medicare Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Humana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a large company, so the pay is decent, some people are friendly, and the training is extensive and ongoing.

Cons

Most managers are only interested in what they can get, not their underlings. Parking is 1/2 mile away, take the trolley (this is in Louisville of course). If you can stand the first two years on the Medicare Customer Service floor, you will then have the opportunity to branch out to other departments, IF you reviews and quality scores are good enough. It is a call center, big time stress levels, you will never know all the answers, you have to know where to look for them, you time is watched down to the second, every minute of every day. Since there is way too much to learn or know, wrong information is often given to customers.

Specialize!! Train your people in a certain area, then route the calls accordingly. That way, the people trained in that area will have the RIGHT answers, not just an answer. Treat your employees like people, not worker bees.

A less than satisfying experience

I worked at Humana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good technology and technical support for employees. Some good wellness programs. Pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

A high performer who proved themselves year after year and was never given an opportunity to advance. They offer good benefits but the rates increased significantly year over year and Humana did little to cover any of the expense. Compensation, unless you're in management, is significantly below industry standard. Turnover is high and they do nothing about it. Management consistently hires candidates that are a poor fit and do not have the skills necessary to do the job. They do very little to keep their hourly employees engaged. It's definitely a "good old boys" club.

Quit hiring your buddies and work to develop and advance the people who you have already invested in. Provide those people with opportunities and reward high performers.