Huntington National Bank

Updated 17 October 2014
2.8

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • work-life balance was very good; great benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Growing company, good environment to work in (depending on your job), great benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 10 reviews)

• Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Good benefits and flexible hours

Cons

Working on Saturday and Sunday

Intern

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture has a phenomenal work life balance. The company is very helpful for interns in terms of allowing them to work with other departments to find their niche. Colleagues were friendly and customer service was awesome. Seminars are always encouraged to keep employees afloat of the ever-changing work force.

Cons

The specific location that I was at only have two student interns, which was unfortunate. We never met or spoke with one another like the other interns at other locations.

Create the same intern program across the board.

Promising Career Spoiled by Insecure Senior Manager

Former Employee - Corporate Manager
    Former Employee - Corporate Manager

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most part, I enjoyed working for Huntington and the role I had for the first couple of years. The two people who hired me were wonderfully smart, no-nonsense people and provided me with a variety of "stretch" and growth opportunities. I also loved the line of business I supported: I learned a lot about the business, I developed great working relationships and I gained exposure to and experience with the top ranks. I believed I could make a difference and build upon my career at this company.

Cons

Shortly after I started working at Huntington, changes began taking place under a new but temporary group head after the previous manager had been fired. Within a little more than a year, I had five managers and "survived" several reorgs. One of my managers left, the person who replaced him quit five months into her job, one of my colleagues got fired and the "temporary" group head accepted the role permanently, creating more of a sense of uncertainty and instability for the team. The group head had never managed a team, nor had she had experience in one of the main fields of the position. It was a mismatch through and through and affected the team in a negative way. Finally, after yet more reorganization of the team and her hiring my replacement without good reason or me knowing, I tried to stick it out until I was forced to resign.

For such a small but mighty team within the bank that continues to try to establish itself and produce outstanding work, consider the drastic changes that have taken place within a short period of time and really look into why. After firing a senior leader, is it wise to put someone in that position who has no leadership or key field experience, poor communications skills and multiple people under her leave and never challenge her decisions out of fear she'll put them out of a job next? Further, with the enormous effort put on the values of the company - living the values, embedding the values into everything you do - isn't it strange that teams exist within the bank that don't embody good teamwork, inclusion, communication, etc., skills? Finally, hold onto and elevate top talent. To do so, also rely on the feedback of co-workers, business partners, etc. Something isn't right in the upper circle when there is mistrust and insecurity breeding to the point that top-notch colleagues are either getting fired or having to resign.

Store banking specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Decent pay in comparison to other banks; starts out with a lot of paid time off

Cons

Open 7 days a week; unrealistic goals

Check in with workers to uncover oases with management

Good Company

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Immediate Managers
    Flexibility
    Good Core Values

Cons

No advancement opportunities
    Communication between departments

Doing More with Less, and Less, and Less......

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Work environment seemed relaxed compared to other banks I've worked at. Management seems to be sincere about the bank's "Do the Right Thing" mantra with regard to customers.

Cons

Top heavy org structure - layer upon layer of middle and upper level management. Worker bee pay and benefits seem to lag similar sized financial entities.

Banking is tough right now - easing back a bit on the cost reduction onslaught could go a long way toward gaining employees' respect and loyalty.

Loved my customers

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Hours at the time were great

Cons

Uniforms and change of hours

promote more

Good Company with minimal pay

Former Employee - AML Investigator in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - AML Investigator in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Blue Jackets tickets 1-2 times per year.

Cons

Work-Life balance is stressed, but not realistic. Management varies from very knowledgeable to clueless.

In store banker

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

It is a lovely company to work for. There is also a lot of room to advance

Cons

The hours can be challenging

Trainers say one thing the job is actually another.

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Huntington National Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bank retail branch hours, PTO and paid holidays are nice.

Cons

Stressful work environment. Not enough time for mentors to actually mentor because of the busy branch. Possitive first week but the was let down once I started the job because of the lack of training and being pushed in right away. Pros do not out weigh cons. I couldn't stay there.

Company statements are goos but follow through with that respect and care to the teller level, especially first time tellers.