Huntington National Bank

Updated 19 October 2014
2.8

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • work-life balance was very good; great benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Growing company, good environment to work in (depending on your job), great benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 10 reviews)

• Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

As a collector, our goals were completely unrealistic and were not granted the support of management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent hours and paid holidays off, which was a good thing.

Cons

COMPLETELY stressful and no support from management. The managers and team leaders were VERy disconnected with the team members

Great bank for the customers, not too great for employees

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Although this largely depends on the management, the schedule is flexible within reason and there are genuine efforts being made to promote nice work/life balance.
    Huntington's products are great and there is a genuine feel that the company truly believes in looking out for their customers. Same can not be said for most of the other larger banks.

Cons

Turnover on the retail side is pretty bad and it isn't hard to see why. Huntington does not seem to be concerned with retaining talent. Rather then putting resources into retaining top talent, Huntington makes great efforts to increase their market share, regardless of the cost. Merit increases in retail are scarce, while the management's stance is that employees should focus on selling more and relying on incentive payouts. The biggest problem with this is that incentive payout opportunities decrease on the bi-yearly basis, while goals and expectations keep going up. Additionally, there is a lack of focus on professional development of employees and a huge lack of promotional opportunities. Huntington tends to give preference to hiring candidates from outside, rather than promoting from within.

Focus on driving down the retention and development of colleagues. Happy and motivated employees will surely sell much better than disgruntled ones. Focus more on celebrating successes rather just pushing for more $$$s

Room to Move up, Small Business Feel

Former Employee - Store Banking Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Store Banking Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a great experience working for Huntington, although I was only there a short while. The training offered was helpful and extensive. I felt as though my manager truly cared about my progress and future with the business. Benefits were great and I felt valued as an individual.

Cons

I cannot speak to working as a banker in a stand-alone store, because my experience was at an in-store branch at Giant Eagle. The most unfavorable component of this position is 'aisle time.' The company wants employees to spend time pushing checking accounts and other banking services / products while customers are doing their grocery shopping. It's awkward, intrusive, and feels obnoxious.

Setting up a cart at the front of the store or throughout the store gives employees a place to feel grounded and less uncomfortable, rather than expecting them to push banking services / products to customers shopping the aisles.

Good break in to the banking industry

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

salary, upward mobility, training, time off

Cons

long hours, random schedule, small staff

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The growth potential for the in-store program is tremendous.

Cons

Incentive pay is convoluted. You are never quite sure what you will make from month to month. The Insurance program leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Consult with some experts outside of the banking industry in the health field to see what other Insurance programs are out there. Simplify the incentive program. If you meet or exceed targets then reward your team.

Good job.

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Good job as work was easy and made sense - training programs were good and management always there to help if questions from customers or questions that I would have. Coverage was good if one needed time off for doctor appointments or other appointments for kids.

Cons

Long hours on my feet, sometimes management at different branches not real helpful. I also did not like the hours on Friday evenings or on Saturdays as I have children and difficulty in finding sitters, etc. I did not have to work every Saturday but many did.

Nice company

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Good benefits , pto . I like the work I do.

Cons

No bonus . Too much work .

I would go back

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everything. The co workers, the customers

Cons

Paying for downtown parking. Other than that nothing.

Keep it up.

A good broad experience.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are ample opportunities for personal growth. Compensation is relatively competitive in certain areas.

Cons

Paid time off is lagging behind from past employers. The intention for promotions seemed to be right on mark but the follow through of actually putting the promotion through seemed to be lagging. The work being completed seemed to be 2-3 years ahead of the title/compensation.

Goals before customers

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive pay the bank closes at 5pm M-Th

Cons

Can not retain top talent employees quit managers not companies. A lot of the Cincinnati area branch managers are not good communicators. Hitting your monthly goal is put before the customer

Communicating and being a leader will help retain a lot of top talent