Huntington National Bank

Updated 25 September 2014
2.8

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • Good work Life balance, good people, decent retirement (in 9 reviews)

• work-life balance was very good; great benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 9 reviews)

• Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Good work life balance.

Cons

Provide more career training opportunity.

Seriously.....

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huntington pays better than the industry standard, flexible hours, and if you have any intelligence at all you have a great opportunity for career advancement due to the fact that most of their current employees lack drive and knowledge of the financial industry.

Cons

Disorganized, constantly changing the direction of the business, restructured bonus system where you no longer make much, hire people that do not need to be in the banking industry, laughable training that has no real bearing on the true nature of the profession, will constantly look outside to hire individuals into management positions but hey I guess I can't complain about that it's how I was hired by these clowns haha.

Spend more time assessing your current employees instead of just hiring other new employees that will also fail.
    Please stop hiring people that worked for RadioShack, Verizon, and Arby's they have no idea that what it takes to be successful in Banking.
    Treat the 10-20% of employees that make the bank actual money better and pay them accordingly.
    Stop referring to yourself as a" National" bank, other banks laugh at you.

Management begrudgingly pays incentive.

Current Employee - Banker  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Banker in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Marginal benefits. Their checks clear. It beats working at McDonalds but the pay is about the same. No other positive things.

Cons

Anti-commission plans. the company sets up the incentive plan so that it is nearly impossible to earn an incentive. Huntington Bank clearly not this misrepresents job functions and duties during interview process.

You are not Chase!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quick to fire for unforgiving errors.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

None. Hired as 've, fired as teller.

Cons

Work life balance. Management doesn't listen to reason.

Great Place to Bank, Terrible Place to Work

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility of schedule and always extra hours to pick up

Cons

Management treats you like less than a person. Not given tools to complete job to Huntington standards.

Stop treating your people like objects and tools that do not even deserve the basic freedoms and liberties, we are real people too! Stop micro-managing and trust the employees you hired. Lead by example and demonstrate you can get the job done first before pawning it off on others. There exists a belief that middle management cant get the job done (those who can't - teach) and the front lines want to see them do it. Also, if everyone in the entire west michigan region (Meijer branches) is on an 30 notice to improve or terminated, maybe we need to look at the leaders.

It all depends on the management

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Coworkers, 401k, time off allowances

Cons

Management, expectations, changing sales goals to a point where you can't reach them, 10 cent raises if you are lucky, terrible medical benefits and cost, always fearful of getting written up.

Inspect what you expect, look over the compensation and ask yourselves "can our loyal, talented employees survive on this?" Concern yourself with the everyday struggles and anxieties that the middle and lower management causes the little people.

Losing the culture, quickly turning into Chase.

Current Employee - Banker  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Banker in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are amazing. 401k, great health benefits, great cause Paletonia

Cons

Every time you turn around they are asking for donations, they place less emphasis on the customer and more on numbers, managers are stretched so thin that promises are always broken. Short staffing is causing call volume to spike out of control.

We are turning into chase and that is NOT our culture. Value your employees, stop making excuses and set an expectation for customer behavior when they call in. We have been taking a beating lately

Great People, Great Direction

Former Employee - Manager  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people in all departments from Treasury to IT are very passionate on what they do, Professional and will bend over backwards to mentor or help when needed!

Cons

All banking industries are "Pressure Cookers" because the nature of the business. Life balance between work and home is sometimes hard to do.

Please remember the great talent you have is not "Dime a Dozen". Many Colleagues are dedicated a loyal to HNB and that is very rare nowadays.

Good company but a lot of changes in pay and benefits, little career opportunity if not at home office.

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very competitive products a leader in most services. The starting pay is competitive for the position.

Cons

Becoming very high pressure is sales, raising sales goals and lowering commission for reaching those goals. A lot of recent turnover due to these changes.

Your becoming more "big bank" in how the employees are treated, changes need to be made to keep good employees

I would recommend for someone just starting out of college.

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

good customer service to clients

Cons

high pressure sales job..... Not worth the stress

Worked for Huntington National Bank? Contribute to the Community!