IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA

11,867 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,697 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1297 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1271 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 410 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 207 reviews)

More Highlights

236 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Consulting Division is a daily struggle against pure chaos and downright insanity…

Current Employee - Anonymous in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are many great people at IBM. The biggest perk is work from home. If it weren't for that I think people would have bolted for the door long ago. Little or no weekend work to start. They will let you work a different schedule as needed. Management is not looking over your shoulder much that I noticed. These are all good things but sadly they are not enough.

Cons

The biggest problem in the consulting division is it is totally disorganized and process bound but the problem is that the processes they are bound to have almost completely been forgotten. So you may sit and twiddle your thumbs for 6 months or more waiting for the simplest to get things setup like laptop, and credentials. Things that every other company has either day one or at least in the first two weeks of your employment. They struggle with everything like it was a battle of epic proportions. Their processes are so antiquated that it is beyond belief that they are still doing it that way in the 21st century. I was really excited to be working here but after time my excitement gave way to disappointment and remorse for taking the job. Literally things that happen in real time everywhere else fail to do so here and processes change without warning. For example getting the network team to issue new IP addresses which at worst case scenario takes a week with normal paperwork in a normal company can take up 6 months or more here. So definitely make sure you have your precognitive abilities honed to a razors edge. ;-) Management seems very much aware of these problems but seems unwilling or unable to do anything about it. Everyone in management seemed afraid to take on the status quo and preferred to keep the checks coming instead. Our customers seemed constantly angry and unhappy. I have yet to see any attempt at customer service that was not a light hearted joke. They have done things this way for a good long time and no matter who you are your input for change will likely be ignored. So if you have an opportunity elsewhere that would be your best option. I was beguiled by them at first but the dream became shortly a nightmare of nearly Biblical proportions in my opinion.

Fire the people that believe in doing things the "same way we alway have" is a good one. Get some people who know how to break an egg to make an omelet. Get rid of some of the corporate drones and replace them with people who question insanity at least some of the time.

Hard life as a contractor

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was decent for the role.

Cons

Glass ceiling for contractors that is not talked about.

Hire people as regulars who know the job rather than on title and status.

Big Blue is Hip and exciting

Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In 14 years I have had the ability to design a new career twist every year. I keep on the cutting edge and have the opportunity to work in a socially collaborative global organization. I brought in big data and analytics skills, I got to apply them to small and very large scale projects. When digital came along I was an early adopter and evangelist. Every new turn brings something new and challenging. We are not the old Big Blue, we are enthusiastic about changing the world in new ways, and I have been delighted to be a part of it. Where else would I work in a culture like this!

Cons

They are constantly reducing the workforce in North America and outsourcing to China, India, Romania and Latin America. While this brings a global perspective it make you feel uneasy. Great people have left because of the behaviors of building a globalized workforce.

We know our values, we work collaboratively. In a company that is always changing and always growing, it would be nice to know when you are safe from being cut. Even high respect and expertise won't save you. Build methods of in person team building below the senior executive level, and this workforce can innovate!

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work from home

Cons

No salary increases or bonuses

Need to understand the impact of layoff. A lot of knowledge leaves with the employee

Project Manager of CEBU Customer Business Education Union

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Professional Team Image, Great Training Workshops,

Cons

Cant think of any, had a great work experience while under the employ of IBM

None at this time

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very educational. I learn a lot. I had a lot of fun. it was great. They catered to my every need. It had it's perks

Cons

The commute was a long ways away. The commute was a long ways away. The commute was a long ways away.

Great training and experience, but the culture is nonexistent.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, amazing benefits, strong foundation to base a sales careers and countless resources at your disposable

Cons

Ridiculously high quotas, zero corporate culture or motivation, you are definitely treated as a number and never really rewarded for your successes

Don't forget to make sure your employees are happy, or all your talent will leave.

Learn a lot, work a lot, expect low compensation

Current Employee - Security Solutions Customer Support in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Security Solutions Customer Support in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn new technologies, company invests a lot in training employees appropriately

Cons

No room to grow, no career opportunities and advancement, they pitch that after one year you can move on to other roles within the company, but the opportunities are not there, and usually movements are lateral with no pay increase.

None.

IBM Doesn't Value Their Employees - Poor Benefits and Bean-Counter Mentality

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People recognize IBM as a leader in the world of high tech
    Co-workers are overall great to work with - quality employees
    Expenses are paid promptly and the online expense tool is easy to use
    "LOVE MY JOB but HATE THE COMPANY"

Cons

CHEAPSKATES on 401k reimbursement and matching contributions.
    Health care benefits are extremely poor compared to similar companies like Dell and Brocade.
    IBM recognizes same-sex domestic partnerships but NOT opposite-sex domestic partnerships.
    IBM has the WORST INTERNAL WEB SITE of any company I've ever worked for. Need multiple browsers to get work done.
    On-boarding of new employees is EXTREMELY POOR
    Lotus Notes is MISERABLE TO LEARN AND WORK WITH
    The company comes off as not caring about their employees in a million tiny and large ways over time.
    The company is penny-wise and pound foolish.

Fix your restrictive 401k matching for new employees or employees who leave prior to Dec 31st.
    Fix the bean-counter mentality.
    With 400,000 employees FIX THE USABILITY of your (extremely poor) internal web site.

Office environment

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was great help from older seasoned sales professionals in the office.

Cons

Lots of the older elder IBM'ers like to pull rank and look down upon the young new guys moving into the office. They look for any and everything to tell your superiors almost as if your back in middle school again getting told on.

Focus on the future and not the old has beens.... The market is changing and its the young youth that will take the company to the next level.