IBM

12,341 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,932 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

243 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Flexible hours and locations

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and start times can make juggling a family life considerably easier than your average job. Work/life balance was easier to manage.

Cons

Project needs can override the individual employees needs for long periods of time. Increased focus on metrics-based management can mean that successes are overlooked if not quantified.

Metrics can't replace good management.

IBM has great opportunities for learning and development.

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great amount of career development seminars to attend. They request a Think 40 opportunity to their employees which requires them to participate in a wide variety of training sessions virtually and self paced.

Cons

Lack of interaction from others within the organization.

Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job flexibility and ability to work from home is great

Cons

The compensations could be better

none

Values eroded and lacks a visionary.

Former Employee - Security Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Security Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome people to work with, some of the best minds anywhere. Processes and procedures in place for everything. Fantastic potential in a company to ride the cloud generation and pull out the guns it has and the incredible reputation. Watson technology can take it over the top once again if they let the Ginny out of the box.

Cons

No visionary at the helm that would inspire the masses. Good candidate for a show like CBS's Undercover Boss to see the reality of the field. Massive brain drain occurring due to lack of leadership. Too much emphasis on dividends and rate of return, stock buybacks. Selling of key parts of company continues (hardware, chip development) creating a shell with a volatile inside.

Go back to your roots. Provide real value not earning projections. Stop shipping jobs away and believe in America. Measure your success by customer satisfaction not by Wall Street analysts recommendations.

Working for IBM

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair Salary and Benefits.

Cons

They don't car much for the average worker

Take care of your workers

Great place to start but not to stay

Current Employee - Software Sales in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Sales in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Access to lots of learning resources
    Excellent conferences and training

Cons

Weak executives (blame and fire the troops, never take responsibility)
    Too many managers and lifers
    Too much process, slow in a fast moving industry
    Below average pay

We need more autonomy, less supervision

Lot of opportunities to learn about various industries and domains. Keeps you ahead of time if you utilize the avail enable opportunities smartly.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom given to build your own solutions and add your own flavour to work.

Cons

Sometimes travel becomes hectic

Help employees foster imagination abd creativity more.

Consulting Division is a daily struggle against pure chaos and downright insanity…

Current Employee - Anonymous in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are many great people at IBM. The biggest perk is work from home. If it weren't for that I think people would have bolted for the door long ago. Little or no weekend work to start. They will let you work a different schedule as needed. Management is not looking over your shoulder much that I noticed. These are all good things but sadly they are not enough.

Cons

The biggest problem in the consulting division is it is totally disorganized and process bound but the problem is that the processes they are bound to have almost completely been forgotten. So you may sit and twiddle your thumbs for 6 months or more waiting for the simplest to get things setup like laptop, and credentials. Things that every other company has either day one or at least in the first two weeks of your employment. They struggle with everything like it was a battle of epic proportions. Their processes are so antiquated that it is beyond belief that they are still doing it that way in the 21st century. I was really excited to be working here but after time my excitement gave way to disappointment and remorse for taking the job. Literally things that happen in real time everywhere else fail to do so here and processes change without warning. For example getting the network team to issue new IP addresses which at worst case scenario takes a week with normal paperwork in a normal company can take up 6 months or more here. So definitely make sure you have your precognitive abilities honed to a razors edge. ;-) Management seems very much aware of these problems but seems unwilling or unable to do anything about it. Everyone in management seemed afraid to take on the status quo and preferred to keep the checks coming instead. Our customers seemed constantly angry and unhappy. I have yet to see any attempt at customer service that was not a light hearted joke. They have done things this way for a good long time and no matter who you are your input for change will likely be ignored. So if you have an opportunity elsewhere that would be your best option. I was beguiled by them at first but the dream became shortly a nightmare of nearly Biblical proportions in my opinion.

Fire the people that believe in doing things the "same way we alway have" is a good one. Get some people who know how to break an egg to make an omelet. Get rid of some of the corporate drones and replace them with people who question insanity at least some of the time.

Hard life as a contractor

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was decent for the role.

Cons

Glass ceiling for contractors that is not talked about.

Hire people as regulars who know the job rather than on title and status.

Big Blue is Hip and exciting

Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In 14 years I have had the ability to design a new career twist every year. I keep on the cutting edge and have the opportunity to work in a socially collaborative global organization. I brought in big data and analytics skills, I got to apply them to small and very large scale projects. When digital came along I was an early adopter and evangelist. Every new turn brings something new and challenging. We are not the old Big Blue, we are enthusiastic about changing the world in new ways, and I have been delighted to be a part of it. Where else would I work in a culture like this!

Cons

They are constantly reducing the workforce in North America and outsourcing to China, India, Romania and Latin America. While this brings a global perspective it make you feel uneasy. Great people have left because of the behaviors of building a globalized workforce.

We know our values, we work collaboratively. In a company that is always changing and always growing, it would be nice to know when you are safe from being cut. Even high respect and expertise won't save you. Build methods of in person team building below the senior executive level, and this workforce can innovate!