IBM

IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA US

Updated Jun 26, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
225 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lackluster in every area

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsFriendly colleagues; able to work on multi-projects in various teams/roles; flexible schedule.

ConsNo longer of what it used to be...lackluster in every area.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember - your employees are your greatest assets so treat them well and the company will flourish.

Company's leadership is taking it down

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsTreated as a professional, most managers have integrity

Consexpected to work long hours, be available for adhoc requests at a moment's notice

Advice to Senior ManagementStop moving jobs off shore

SWG IBMer via an acquisition, challenging and demanding job, but satisfying, great benefits

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsThe ability to work and interact with the upper management of corporations world wide.

ConsTravel can be heavy at times and the job, if you are doing it right, is constantly demanding but at the same time satisfying depending on your own successes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've learned a lot because of hands on experience.

Customer Support Engineer (Former Employee) Smyrna, GA (US)

ProsHaving the equipment available for self development.

ConsToo much micro management. It seemed that the management is concerned about the inbound call volume than to fix the customer problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople will do their best work when they are not micro managed.

You are on your own

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsWork Life Balance is great at IBM if you are not in consulting.

ConsThe career path is not defined at all,

Not Much Fun

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGood pay (as a band 10). Work from home. Largely get to define my own priorities and tasks in support of the overall mission. My manager isn't focused on time in the office as much as on accomplishing objectives, so work schedule varies and is flexible.

ConsMost of my projects (staff role in global for GTS) seem to go nowhere and don't make a difference to anything important, which isn't what I was hoping to do with my career. It's painful to get things done with so many competing interests and priorities in the company. Problems with employee technology and tools (e.g. cleaning up mail due to ridiculously low email quota, instant messaging and intranet sites not working, etc.) have to be dealt with on personal time (since I'm measured on objectives accomplished, not time in the office).

Technology Leader

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsHuge opportunity for exposure to cross technology, Very useful expertise with wide range of industres.

ConsFragmented real time business exposure, Limited ecosystem experience from the over all business perspective of Technology solutions.

Career has been innovative

IBM Account Executive (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsI have learned a lot about technology and sales strategies.

ConsCompany continues to have layoffs.

Still Amazing - Depends on Where you live and what you are doing

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsOpportunity to contribute, learn and grow, work from home, thrive on driving change and process improvements, lots of take-aways over the years but competitive salary, benefits etc. People make the company great!

ConsIf you aren't revenue generating you are considered back office and if you are in the US there is a good chance your job over time will be moved offshore. Best opportunities for me are oversees. If you get out of mgt its hard to find your way back in. No longer reimburse for professional certifications but I'm glad I obtained tthem.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople don't know when or if they will be let go. It's been like this for a long time and this is contrary to the foundational beliefs the company was founded on. Not respectful of people who have given their lives to make the company great.

Great benefits, opportunities to advance for some, no loyalty for long time employees. take charge of your career.

Senior IT Specialist/Project Manager (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsBig company with lots of opportunity to move into new positions if you are persistent about moving up and don't get complacent in your job. Good work-life balance, work at home, great benefits, training available IF you have a manager willing to speak up and get approval for you.

ConsNO loyalty to long time employees when it comes to resource actions. I was loyal to company and remained in same position because they didn't have anyone else to support application and thought I was helping out. All it really did was hurt me in the end. When I was not allowed to move to another position or get training to complete certification I should have started looking for a job outside the company. Laid off after 10+ years. They were offshoring many jobs to BRIC countries.. Initially very upset with company but would go back to them with different mindset and this time use them for my own personal development and advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop offshoring and if you move jobs to central US to take advantage of cheap labor then consider finding jobs for those who don't want to relocate. You should recognize that loyal employees who have stayed with you for over 10 years have value which cannot easily be replaced. When you bring on new PMs from India they may be cheaper in initial salary but end up costing you a lot more by wasting countless hours of much higher band stakeholders who have to sit on the call trying to give status updates to someone who cannot understand what is going on.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!