IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA

11,580 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,561 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

233 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Big Blue is Hip and exciting

Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In 14 years I have had the ability to design a new career twist every year. I keep on the cutting edge and have the opportunity to work in a socially collaborative global organization. I brought in big data and analytics skills, I got to apply them to small and very large scale projects. When digital came along I was an early adopter and evangelist. Every new turn brings something new and challenging. We are not the old Big Blue, we are enthusiastic about changing the world in new ways, and I have been delighted to be a part of it. Where else would I work in a culture like this!

Cons

They are constantly reducing the workforce in North America and outsourcing to China, India, Romania and Latin America. While this brings a global perspective it make you feel uneasy. Great people have left because of the behaviors of building a globalized workforce.

We know our values, we work collaboratively. In a company that is always changing and always growing, it would be nice to know when you are safe from being cut. Even high respect and expertise won't save you. Build methods of in person team building below the senior executive level, and this workforce can innovate!

Project Manager of CEBU Customer Business Education Union

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Professional Team Image, Great Training Workshops,

Cons

Cant think of any, had a great work experience while under the employ of IBM

None at this time

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunity to work from home

Cons

No salary increases or bonuses

Need to understand the impact of layoff. A lot of knowledge leaves with the employee

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very educational. I learn a lot. I had a lot of fun. it was great. They catered to my every need. It had it's perks

Cons

The commute was a long ways away. The commute was a long ways away. The commute was a long ways away.

Learn a lot, work a lot, expect low compensation

Current Employee - Security Solutions Customer Support  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Security Solutions Customer Support in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn new technologies, company invests a lot in training employees appropriately

Cons

No room to grow, no career opportunities and advancement, they pitch that after one year you can move on to other roles within the company, but the opportunities are not there, and usually movements are lateral with no pay increase.

None.

Office environment

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

There was great help from older seasoned sales professionals in the office.

Cons

Lots of the older elder IBM'ers like to pull rank and look down upon the young new guys moving into the office. They look for any and everything to tell your superiors almost as if your back in middle school again getting told on.

Focus on the future and not the old has beens.... The market is changing and its the young youth that will take the company to the next level.

Good place to work, but management seems to fabricate the truth to employees.

Former Employee - Storage Support  in  Smyrna, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Storage Support in Smyrna, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to new hardware technology and database.

Cons

Management is not trustworthy when it comes to informing employees.

Need to overhaul work/life balance

IBM Interactive Experience - Good talent, No support

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great experience working with talented mixed teams of creative and technical experts. I have learned a lot about digital media projects, design for mobile first, and user experience based design. I have worked with a lot of talented people and learned a lot. IBM employees have access to a lot of great training opportunities to expand your skills (though you'll have to work on your own to find them through the various tools available).

Cons

You must be a self-starter, who is able to figure things out on your own, and you must be able to advocate and promote yourself and your successes. There is little domain mentoring, and many team members report to managers outside of their domain / expertise. Managers do little to nothing to advocate for their team members. While the greater IBM does have clear paths for promotion (from a band / pay grade level perspective), career growth discussions with managers are relatively fruitless, and it is difficult to get their support in setting up a growth plan. There is little advice / mentoring in what training to pursue to grow in your area, but if you are willing to do the digging and research yourself, there are really great tools and self-paced training available. Employees are often responsible for finding their own projects to be staffed to, as staffing team members are focused more on filling open project roles than getting benched team members into roles.

Lower utilization requirements for managers so that they can afford to invest more time in their people. Measure manager performance on the success of their employees so that managers will be motivated to promote and advocate for their teams. Provide at least one strong manager per each discipline / domain area, and align employees to report to a manager within their expertise / role. Provide a claim code for mentoring / managing activities that will count as productive utilization, to encourage junior team members to seek out senior mentors, and encourage senior employees to invest in junior team members, without feeling that they are going to be penalized by spending those hours on non-billable work.

Technology Goliath. Infinite Uncertainty

Former Employee - Client Manager (Sales)  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Manager (Sales) in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Diverse Career Opportunities& many of them
    -Reputable company, enormous portfolio
    -OK pay, OK benefits, Fantastic Flexibility
    -Acquiring companies constantly

Cons

-Management controls you like puppets. You do not necessarily own your own internal path
    -Reputable yes, but that reputation isn't always good or improving
    -OK pay, OK benefits, Flexibility fading
    -Enormous challenge in IBM being a sum of its parts. Collective deal handling difficult.
    -Team not really there. Everyone paid on their own part - difficult to control
    -LOTS of uncertainty. More people leaving or forced to leave than coming
    -Culture leaves much to be desired

While it used to be that you had to earn your stripes to earn a role at IBM, now, go start at IBM, stay for 3 years and leave.

You are on your own

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work Life Balance is great at IBM if you are not in consulting.

Cons

The career path is not defined at all,

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!