IBM

IBM Reviews in Chicago, IL US

Updated Jul 21, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

no longer the great place to work

Program Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsFlexible hours, ability to work at home. Sometimes the Global nature of the job is interesting, but that also means work time can be outside of normal business hours.

ConsEmployees feel like they could be let go any quarter. NO raises in three years! Management is only interested in covering for themselves, not in their direct reports

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the customer. It's not always about the cost cutting. Customer Sat fails when the bottom line is all that matters.

It could've been better.

Quality Assurance (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsClean, great benefits, lots of people, busy, innovative, motivating, lots of opportunities

ConsIt was very stressful at times. Sometimes they wanted me to work overtime when I have already requested time off. There were some inappropriate behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people! Need more leadership and clear expectations.

Sales

Software Sales (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsBest of breed technology. Great brand recognition for sales.

ConsProgressing a deal internally can be challenging. Cohesive integration and understanding of constant acquisitions challenging for sales and customers to understand. Compensation for internal employees who get promoted is minimal

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you embrace the pace and intensity

Senior Managing Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsSmart, interesting people to work with. Interesting clients and projects. Great environment to both have an impact on your clients' businesses and learn a great deal. IBM has a tremendous amount of intellectual capital that you can leverage in your consulting work for them.

ConsConsulting scale model relies on long hours and diligence of consultants (as does almost every consulting company). This can lead to burn-out -- but they have been working to improve this.

Your salary is more of a focus to IBM than your skill set.

Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThere are many positions at the company. You can usually work from home.

ConsIf your salary is deemed too large, you will be let go as a result of the bi-annual "resource allocation." Just be prepared that your skills don't matter as much as what IBM is paying you. The business plan for IBM for new business is to bid low on the support contract, support the account with enough skilled staff for a while and then let people go or shift support to cheaper off-shore resources. If the account is not making money for IBM, your salary will determine if you stay or are let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should treat their resources as humans and necessary to do work, not as a detrimental drag on the amount of money IBM makes on an account.

working for IBM

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Proshaving the IBM on your resume

Consthere is no job security, ability to promote or choose your path... they put you where they want to when they have an open requirement.

Job outsourced to Mexico

Accounts Receivable (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsWorking remotely and good benefits

ConsBeing part of Big Blue and being just a number

overworked and under paid

Technical Services Professional (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosthere was a time of good training and team building, not anymore

Consthere is no care for their people and even less care about their customers. rather save money and drop support people hoping nothing goes wrong.... this company is strictly run by finance which is very short on strategy. no building today to use tomorrow

Advice to Senior Managementforget roadmap 2015 because EPS won't keep IBM going in the long run

Tough Climate

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsLots of opportunities to learn new technologies. Education is pushed heavily, so if you want to learn the IBM product stack, you'll have the opportunity.

ConsWhere to start? The 2015 business plan is sucking the life out of employees. Raises are almost non-existant (even for top performers), as is any type of bonus payout. Resources consistently leave, and there is almost no headcount to replace (at least in most areas). The emphasis is driving EPS for stockholders, with little to no regard for the employee.
    IBM has been in business a long time, and I'm sure they will weather this storm, and at some point change strategy. But I don't see that happening in the next few years, which gives me no confidence in them as a current employer.

Good... but not great

Managing Strategy Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsIBM does so many things you could potentially stay in the company your whole career and have 10 different job roles in 10 different areas of the business.

ConsIBM has aligned itself with a 2015 roadmap that's great for shareholders, but horrible for employees. Costs are continually being cut, resource actions are annual when they are not quarterly, and decisions are becoming less and less strategic and more and more tactical.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a long hard think about whether a 2020 roadmap will make sense. It can be argued that all the value from the current roadmap was achieved with cost-cutting and stock buy backs. EPS numbers could be hit with growth initiatives instead of cost cutting initiatives if a little faith (and cash) was invested in your employees.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!