IBM Reviews in Chicago, IL

11,597 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,567 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

129 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company but a slow moving ship

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative, Business Analytics  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative, Business Analytics in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Competitive pay
    -Steady earnings
    -Good/loyal client base

Cons

-Hard to get promoted
    -Get lost in the shuffle
    -Change is ALWAYS

Stop being such micromanagers to the inside sales teams

Strange Trip

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart People, Great Benefits Incredible Knowledge base In-house

Cons

Company is throwing everyone to the alligators in order to hit roadmap 2015 earnings target. Major brain drain of late- which is sad

Big Company, Consulting Division Employees Disposable

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, great place to start a career, opportunities to work for and impact fortune 500 companies through consulting services if you can build up a reputation where managers are willing to bring you on multiple projects. Great resume builder. If you can land the right project/client you will work with nice colleagues and maintain a manageable balance/travel schedule.

Cons

High burn-out rate, very limited training on solutions or methodologies for which you are labeled as experienced or experts in for your clients, limited opportunities for advancement without getting the right type of project experience and exposure with partners. Big blue can replace you with a new grad in an instant. Long-term retention and grooming isn't the goal in the consulting arm. But that's consulting for you. Many times your ability to get promoted is based on how well your manager can vouch for you in the annual reviews in addition to your utilization. It may be rare that you've ever met, worked with, or seen your manager. Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects. I worked on projects that required 12 hours days on client site and weekend hours/conference calls. Some of my projects were in the realm of extremely unhealthy - no balance whatsoever. I found trouble projects to be common due to poorly written contracts and our delivery on our promises. IBM had to throw consultants at troubled projects, at any expense to their employees well-being. I've also been placed on some of the most successfully run, long term projects and it's a different world. It's the luck of the draw and it depends entirely on factors you can't really control. A good network can help you navigate.

Utilization isn't everything, even if it's what puts money in your pocket. Do something about the skimpy raise and bonuses.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IBM still thinks it's name means something more than it really does

Former Employee - Security Architect  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Security Architect in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Salary was good.
    -You pretty much work entirely from home or a clients site.

Cons

- Turn over is a very big problem, at least in the business unit I worked in.
    - In 2 years went through 6 direct managers and really only talked to them once a month, maybe. You are really left on your own to manage most aspects of your job.
    - As an employee, getting support for IBMs own products is very difficult. I found it easier to have the clients ask IBM support for help on issues than trying to go through the IBM channels.
    - No training, you are expected to learn everything on the job.
    - As a consultant, there is no real career growth.

Great to work with

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn so much from all the brilliant people around you and there are so many chances to move up the ladder.

Cons

The culture is missing something

Profit over employees

Former Employee - Customer Support  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

IBM has good medical benefits even though the employees have to pay more out of pocket every year. Pluses were 401K, pension, flex time.

Cons

We were required to use some useless applications because IBM had paid a lot of money for them. Forty hours of education per year were made a requirement which just added to our workload. Morale was extremely low because of an incompetent manager who was allowed to bully his employees for many years. All of the employees in our department were laid off and the work went to another country.

Take care of loyal, hard working employees instead of laying them off and sending the work to other countries. Get rid of managers who bully their employees instead of tolerating their bad behavior.

no longer the great place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible hours, ability to work at home. Sometimes the Global nature of the job is interesting, but that also means work time can be outside of normal business hours.

Cons

Employees feel like they could be let go any quarter. NO raises in three years! Management is only interested in covering for themselves, not in their direct reports

Remember the customer. It's not always about the cost cutting. Customer Sat fails when the bottom line is all that matters.

Great place to work if you embrace the pace and intensity

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart, interesting people to work with. Interesting clients and projects. Great environment to both have an impact on your clients' businesses and learn a great deal. IBM has a tremendous amount of intellectual capital that you can leverage in your consulting work for them.

Cons

Consulting scale model relies on long hours and diligence of consultants (as does almost every consulting company). This can lead to burn-out -- but they have been working to improve this.

It could've been better.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clean, great benefits, lots of people, busy, innovative, motivating, lots of opportunities

Cons

It was very stressful at times. Sometimes they wanted me to work overtime when I have already requested time off. There were some inappropriate behavior.

Listen to the people! Need more leadership and clear expectations.

Sales

Former Employee - Software Sales  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Software Sales in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best of breed technology. Great brand recognition for sales.

Cons

Progressing a deal internally can be challenging. Cohesive integration and understanding of constant acquisitions challenging for sales and customers to understand. Compensation for internal employees who get promoted is minimal

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!