IBM Reviews in Chicago, IL

11,867 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,697 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1297 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1271 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 410 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 207 reviews)

More Highlights

132 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Beginnings

Current Employee - Secretary in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Secretary in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like the Corp environment, you may find this a wonderful choice. It has been some time since my employment but this was the epitome of first class. Good pay, work environment and staff.

Cons

Machines (technology) replaced many of our jobs. I see it in the grocery and big box stores. Self check-out equals loss of employees.

Be well-intuned; say what you mean and mean what you say. Some disconnect.

Long time IBMer with experience in different divisions and positions within IBM.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Variety in job opportunity, possible to reinvent yourself and access to the best research department in the world.

Cons

Difficult to navigate, achievement is available to those who spend their time self-promoting and networking. The commitment to IBM is 24x7, difficult to have work-life balance. IBM and their clients demand real-time anytime access and response making it almost impossible to vacation or have time away with family with out taking conference calls and doing follow ups.

IBM is cutting too deep(layoffs) and unable to maintain client commitments burning employees along the way. This is not a sustainable strategy for the type of growth needed to keep reputation with wall street and close deals.

Great company but a slow moving ship

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative, Business Analytics in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Competitive pay
    -Steady earnings
    -Good/loyal client base

Cons

-Hard to get promoted
    -Get lost in the shuffle
    -Change is ALWAYS

Stop being such micromanagers to the inside sales teams

A heaping pile of steaming ineptness with a large dose of being dysfunctional

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros are, corporate America is seeing that this rudderless ship is not able to innovate or lead in the technology space. Companies see first hand that IBM is now an accounting company. They rely on revenue streams by playing with accounting plus auditing thousands of their valued customers. They will not grow without leveraging these two tricls

Cons

A reality show called "Lord of the Flies". Upper and Middle management are worthless and are paralyzed by their sheer inability to push back on upper management. Daily cadence calls, asking what time deals are closing is ludicrous but yet, this is a common practice by these crazy accountants (managers). I am interested in seeing what happens come January

Get your CVs on the street. I see a ton of ugliness on the horizon.

Strange Trip

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart People, Great Benefits Incredible Knowledge base In-house

Cons

Company is throwing everyone to the alligators in order to hit roadmap 2015 earnings target. Major brain drain of late- which is sad

Big Company, Consulting Division Employees Disposable

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great place to start a career, opportunities to work for and impact fortune 500 companies through consulting services if you can build up a reputation where managers are willing to bring you on multiple projects. Great resume builder. If you can land the right project/client you will work with nice colleagues and maintain a manageable balance/travel schedule.

Cons

High burn-out rate, very limited training on solutions or methodologies for which you are labeled as experienced or experts in for your clients, limited opportunities for advancement without getting the right type of project experience and exposure with partners. Big blue can replace you with a new grad in an instant. Long-term retention and grooming isn't the goal in the consulting arm. But that's consulting for you. Many times your ability to get promoted is based on how well your manager can vouch for you in the annual reviews in addition to your utilization. It may be rare that you've ever met, worked with, or seen your manager. Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects. I worked on projects that required 12 hours days on client site and weekend hours/conference calls. Some of my projects were in the realm of extremely unhealthy - no balance whatsoever. I found trouble projects to be common due to poorly written contracts and our delivery on our promises. IBM had to throw consultants at troubled projects, at any expense to their employees well-being. I've also been placed on some of the most successfully run, long term projects and it's a different world. It's the luck of the draw and it depends entirely on factors you can't really control. A good network can help you navigate.

Utilization isn't everything, even if it's what puts money in your pocket. Do something about the skimpy raise and bonuses.

IBM still thinks it's name means something more than it really does

Former Employee - Security Architect in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Security Architect in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Salary was good.
    -You pretty much work entirely from home or a clients site.

Cons

- Turn over is a very big problem, at least in the business unit I worked in.
    - In 2 years went through 6 direct managers and really only talked to them once a month, maybe. You are really left on your own to manage most aspects of your job.
    - As an employee, getting support for IBMs own products is very difficult. I found it easier to have the clients ask IBM support for help on issues than trying to go through the IBM channels.
    - No training, you are expected to learn everything on the job.
    - As a consultant, there is no real career growth.

Great to work with

Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn so much from all the brilliant people around you and there are so many chances to move up the ladder.

Cons

The culture is missing something

Profit over employees

Former Employee - Customer Support in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has good medical benefits even though the employees have to pay more out of pocket every year. Pluses were 401K, pension, flex time.

Cons

We were required to use some useless applications because IBM had paid a lot of money for them. Forty hours of education per year were made a requirement which just added to our workload. Morale was extremely low because of an incompetent manager who was allowed to bully his employees for many years. All of the employees in our department were laid off and the work went to another country.

Take care of loyal, hard working employees instead of laying them off and sending the work to other countries. Get rid of managers who bully their employees instead of tolerating their bad behavior.

Great place to work if you embrace the pace and intensity

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, interesting people to work with. Interesting clients and projects. Great environment to both have an impact on your clients' businesses and learn a great deal. IBM has a tremendous amount of intellectual capital that you can leverage in your consulting work for them.

Cons

Consulting scale model relies on long hours and diligence of consultants (as does almost every consulting company). This can lead to burn-out -- but they have been working to improve this.