IBM

IBM Reviews in Houston, TX US

Updated Jul 22, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CURRENT & Future employment

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat people in S&D and excellent MGT... GBS could use some classes in how to treat employees with respect and not verbal abuse - Just a few bad apples and it rolls down from there. But other manager are great and will help you all they can!! Some of the smartest people in the world!

ConsYou work in your job description and that is about it.. NOT too much room to branch out BUT lots of mobility across the silos after your 2 year commitment. Be sure you manage your our career as it is up to you to get ahead... Negotiate pay on the way in as in sales... that is where your base stays.... ONE you leave - you will be labeled "IBM" and the employer will assume you cannot sell without the entire BUS.. so other jobs are difficult to get... but you will get lots of interviews since IBM has good reputation..

Advice to Senior Managementexplain to employees that they need to manage their own careers as their managers will not...

Leader in (Reducing) Employee Benefits

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsIBM provides good employee benefits but they are also leader in reducing cost by introducing some interesting policy twists. It has a lot of good internal opportunities. Good learning opportunities for new and upcoming technologies

ConsIBM is a slow adopter of new technologies and is a follower in the industry. Very slow growth and currently undergoing lot of cost cutting measures. Lot of pressure on employees to meet the 2015 roadmap. Long term development goals are sacrificed to make the quarter

Long-time employee with consistent always highly rated employee; didn't matter as I was forced to take early retirement.

Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsProfessionalism of co-workers and employees.

ConsEmployees are a means to an end. Respect for and support of employees is "slim to none."

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technician

Technical Team Lead (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsPay is very competitive and benefits are good

ConsTime spent working can be consuming

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Sound, Pioneer Company that is dedicated to training it's employees

Client Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsBig emphasis on training it's employees if you are in a customer facing role whether it is sales or technical it is required that you not only attend but pass Global Sales School and it is intense!

ConsBig emphasis on reports, certifications in your field. If you're in a technical role your success is contingent on your sales specialists success and your bonus payout is paid quarterly. You are ranked among your peers and pay grade so, there is no guarantee that you will get a payout. Pay raises are only given to the top 1%

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

It was truly a learning experience for me

Client Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThey take every action to ensure your success. They value training

ConsTo rigid, uptight, business casual atmosphere but still has the blue suit white shirt, red tie mentality

Great company

Deployment Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsExcellent benefits. Excellent management. Talented professionals.

ConsMoving some IT work offshore to be competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher level management works a lot of overtime.

Extraordinary time constraints, lots of overtime

Embedded Software Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsIBM Name was considered positive, nice to wear IBM badge

ConsToo much overtime, very overworked

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd staff, make realistic schedules

Good Company Poor Project Management

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsLots of Projects
    Good Learning Opportunity
    Better Growth Prospective

ConsDefinetly not true if we look at overall company, but here is what experienced in my one project with IBM :-

Poor project planning
    Unnecessary call for weekend work
    Poor work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementProject status might be green only on paper but not in reality. I will suggest upper management to be more diligence when reviewing this kind of reports.

It used to be a good company to work for

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsA Well known company. A good place to learn and use new software. There is room for growth depending on your expertise and where you work.

ConsThe bulk of the work is being sent out of the united states. They used to use folks in the U.S. to do the work. Now like many other companies, they use India, Brazil etc. They are all about numbers, layoffs and cutting corners. Its not like the old IBM I knew and loved. They let folks go and double the work the current workers have without compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget what made this company, Watson must be rolling around in his grave

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!