IBM Reviews in Houston, TX

11,853 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,691 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1297 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1271 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 410 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 207 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

"Don't protect the past…which seems to include many of the reasons to work there"

Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You have an opportunity to work with some very smart and seasoned people. Benefits are generally good. Depending on your management, you may have an opportunity to move around and manage your career.

Cons

Training other than self-study/off-hours is pretty much non-existent due to spending budget restrictions. The internal education site "free classes" are mundane and out-of-date. Morale overall was pretty downtrodden. Every cycle a couple of people would disappear from immediate or matrixes teams in the next resource action, even where no low/mid-performers in revenue-generating roles. No longer a long-term career for most outside of management. Benefits decreasing or disappearing. Managers can limit your mobility within company by identifying you as a "critical" resource based on job-role, but have no means to justify keeping the headcount when the cuts are mandated.

Culture and values are spiraling downward. May be great if you make it to the other side of Roadmap 2015, but negatively impacting a large number of quality, performing US workers along the way. Quality and time to delivery is suffering.

Great Company to start with hard to move up ranks

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Starting Compensation - Coming out of college the salary is much more than most companies offer.
    Having the IBM name on your resume
    Flexibility with working from home

Cons

Tough to move up the ladder -
    Management out of touch
    Hardly any perks - Over the years IBM has gradually ripped the employee benefits one by one. To the point where there are little to no incentives outside of your salary.
    Extremely tough to get a raise

Not like what it used to be

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Still get to work alongside some wonderful and intelligent people.

Cons

The management team (especially in corporate) no longer cared about the employees, they just cared about meeting their numbers.

Get back into caring about the employees, that's what made the company great in the first place.

completed contract

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

IBM Strategic Outsourcing is making good head way on re-focusing on the cost, value and customer stat needs. The tools are getting better for project management.

Cons

I have trained so many global resources that I should be considered a member of another country! That being said, being a U.S. PM - you should consider moving to other employment options. The reason is obvious ($$/rubee/Yuan …) are not in your favor.

I think U.S. Management at the lower levels have to be pretty tired due to RIF and consolidated groups - my compassion is great to them. As for upper management - they are trying to find the next product that will keep them in the game. The last major trick was massive out-sourcing in 1990' to mid 2006 -- and they are late to the cloud party. It will be interesting to see how this pays out - good luck!

This is a stable and fast-growing enviornment, great benefits, and potential transfer within the company.

Current Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fast growing environment, great benefits, work/life balance

Cons

no salary increase, too many procedures to follow.

promotions

Reached a peak of job satisfaction 5-7 years ago, downhill since then

Current Employee - IT Architect in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home arrangements, Name recognition, dealing with a global team... you will meet everyone from everywhere, but only if you travel on business. Benefits are still good, compared to other places, but being reduced each year.

Cons

IBM has a huge work from home culture, however I wouldn't necessarily call it work-life balance, as you are always expected to drop what you are doing 24/7 for conference calls. Your manager may be in another country and from a culture which is not similar to your own... but you will change managers every year and the only thing the new manager will know about you is what your previous manager tells them in the turn-over meeting. I probably had 8 managers in the last decade while staying in the same job role. I only ever met 2 of them in person.

Not really worth the time, the band 9 and 10 managers have no power to influence or change anything, and the people above them do not listen to anything from "the ranks"

Not exactly the company I envisioned.

Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Medical and dental insurance were good. Company sought to grow it's consulting business, but it's not happening fast enough to keep up with competitors.

Cons

In my division there was very little growth. Most jobs were migrating to India or South America. During the 12 years I was employed, I probably only received a small raise very other year.

I realize that the business is global, but IBM needs to start caring about it's employees as people, not as just a body filling a chair.

CURRENT & Future employment

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in S&D and excellent MGT... GBS could use some classes in how to treat employees with respect and not verbal abuse - Just a few bad apples and it rolls down from there. But other manager are great and will help you all they can!! Some of the smartest people in the world!

Cons

You work in your job description and that is about it.. NOT too much room to branch out BUT lots of mobility across the silos after your 2 year commitment. Be sure you manage your our career as it is up to you to get ahead... Negotiate pay on the way in as in sales... that is where your base stays.... ONE you leave - you will be labeled "IBM" and the employer will assume you cannot sell without the entire BUS.. so other jobs are difficult to get... but you will get lots of interviews since IBM has good reputation..

explain to employees that they need to manage their own careers as their managers will not...

Leader in (Reducing) Employee Benefits

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IBM provides good employee benefits but they are also leader in reducing cost by introducing some interesting policy twists. It has a lot of good internal opportunities. Good learning opportunities for new and upcoming technologies

Cons

IBM is a slow adopter of new technologies and is a follower in the industry. Very slow growth and currently undergoing lot of cost cutting measures. Lot of pressure on employees to meet the 2015 roadmap. Long term development goals are sacrificed to make the quarter

Long-time employee with consistent always highly rated employee; didn't matter as I was forced to take early retirement.

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professionalism of co-workers and employees.

Cons

Employees are a means to an end. Respect for and support of employees is "slim to none."