IBM Reviews

11,853 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,691 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1297 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1271 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 410 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 207 reviews)

More Highlights

working is fun if your team is good .............

Former Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Calcutta
    Former Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Calcutta

I worked at IBM

Pros

fosters innovation, good work ethics, if team is good then IBM is the best place to work in, opportunity to work with some of the best minds of the industry

Cons

less effort is spent on how to balance work with life. sometimes managers are irrational and their demands cannot be satisfied.

be lenient to people who wants to work hard.....and recognize hard worker not by the number of hours they spend in the office.

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Work Life Balance, Work From Home, Job satisfaction, Amenities available. Very good company for women employees, Laptops available to work from home

Cons

Career growth is slow. Stagnant salasry, hikes not given to the employees. Bonus is also less. If looking for good package hikes, not the best place to work.

Can improve on salaries and hikes. Will result in less attirition. Policies are very good along with the work culture but package offered are not great.

Good place to work and grow professionally

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Bangalore

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Loads of information access to good articles, environments where you can grow your knowledge.
    * Challenging people and staff to work with.
    * You will be pushed to do well, which sometimes help to keep up to industry standards.
    * Strong brand name for any resume.
    * Push for patentable work.
    * Work from home option for all in Software Labs.

Cons

* Very huge company, sometimes you might feel lost.
    * Benefits - need to negotiate a lot first time you get in. Once in, growth of pay is slows down.

When appraising, the rating should be based on individual work and not team work, which means one person gets a good rating, then the other, even though performed well, does not get a good rating.

Work Life Balance

Former Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Chennai
    Former Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Chennai

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can change the Job you do without changing the company. You will have opportunities to work in all Domain.

Cons

Manager oriented, very Less pay

Firmware Engineer

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Bangalore

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom, enough time for projects, flexibility at work, real work life balance, growth based on performance

Cons

Mostly colleagues are not motivated enough, Manager plays a big part in yoru career growth

Should make career decisions more transparent

Good place to work keeping weork-life balance proper-with less money

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

employee friendly, work from home facility is there, no hard and fast timing restrictions

Cons

money..salary doesn't increase irrespective of your performance

Good and nice company to work .

I worked at IBM as a contractor

Pros

Good and nice company to work with.Good working environment.Best suited for Women employees..Have work from home option. :

Cons

Less opportunities for Contractors.Do not have access to Career smart portal.(This is only for permanent employees).There will not be any project related training if its new requirement.No option to do IBM Related certifications

Can provide access to career smart portals for contractors and also it would be good if you can encourage contractors as well to do certifications by providing some mentors.. :)

Excellent

Current Employee - Database Administrator
    Current Employee - Database Administrator

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

techincal growth and Process knowledge.

Cons

Nothing to tell from my angle.

NIL

The gaints

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is only for Software Labs.

It is a nice place to work. The people are good, since it was my first job a hell lot of learning.
    The work life balance is good. The management and everyone understand that you have a life outside the office, but the work always gets done no matter. They pay well considering all the flexibility and work that we do.

There is also good recognition of the work if you really stand out of the crowd. If you are just another person working as a software guy for the heck of it, don't bother it will be the same for you everywhere.

There is a good amount of energy in people to innovate, write new patents / ideas which are rarely found in that much quantity in other companies.

Cons

It all depends on who your manager is and how much of an effort you put in for good results. I do not have any cons in particular. I have got everything I needed while I was there.

All the projects somehow have origins in places other than India. Please do some fresh work completely driven and developed in india.

It was a nice experience in terms of learning.

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Experience, Learning, Education, Training and culture.

Cons

10 hour long shift, poor transport, low interaction with management.