ICAP (London)

Be The First To
Add Photos

ICAP (London) Group CEO and Director Michael A. Spencer

Michael A. Spencer

Fair analysis of life at ICAP.

Dealer (Former Employee) Mumbai

ProsICAP gives you a lot of exposure in terms of macro economics. If you just don't limit yourself to the job you are supposed to be doing and get into casual relations with your clients, there is tons to be learnt from the industry leaders.

Conslimited industry scope. dying nowadays. you face tough competetion from electronic broking. As in every other broking job, it sees unfair at times. Your success is largely dependent on the number, size and type of clients you've got. You get focused to only one niche industry with limited self growth, ignoring all the other talents you possess.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepartment heads should not be appointed according to the revenues they bring in, but their leadership abilities and popularity.

One of the best brokers to work for

Broker (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood reputation in the industry, strong name

ConsCommission structure not as good as some of the smaller houses

Full of opportunities, energetic environment and supportive management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities and provide room for development, work with scheduled timelines, decent compensation and benefits, fun and enjoyable working environment

ConsLack of integration with global management and processes, flat hierarchy thus, do not expect much of promotion in title but incentives in bonuses and pay increment

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more feedback to employees and performance metrics to hit in order to achieve corporate goals

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going through huge change

ProsSome good people
    Flexible working environment
    They are trying to update their business model as they know things need to change

ConsNo clear direction
    Cost cutting a priority

Great people to work with, however very little support from the "Powers that be"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff in my department were excellent, both professionally and socially. The daily work load was full on, but that's the way it should be.

ConsICAP are like a "feeder" club. They get trainees in, train them up, don't give the wages, benefits that the individuals require, and then lose them to competitors who recognise the value that these experienced individuals now provide. ICAP is a good starting place, but you will be looking to move on after a couple of years to get the wages you deserve.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your staff what they deserve and stop losing your best staff (and your clients) to competitors.

Exciting, fast-paced work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEvery day at ICAP was very exciting. It is a work hard play hard type of environment. It is challenging but you have more than enough resources to accomplish and excel at your tasks.

ConsWhen the business was not good, it wasn't good for anyone. Also the fast paced environment translated to high stress at times. Definitely not for the weak-hearted.

Never a dull moment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsEntrepreneurial executive management. Very little bureaucracy and the opportunity to make a difference every day. Small but global enterprise provides opportunities to work in a lot of different cultures. with the financial markets in revolution this is a great chance to be part of inventing the future.

ConsEntrepreneurialism and enthusiasm can mean that strategy is not thought through and leads to a lack of a single direction

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that everyone internally knows what the mission of the company is

Unstable mgmt, office politics, fast-paced, cut throat

Broker (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsIf you want to experience working for one of the biggest inter dealer brokers in the world and get a sense of how things used to run in the glory days, work here.

ConsBe ready to deal with office politics, cut throat colleagues, overly strict and inefficient compliance (also dealing with ongoing public investigations and lawsuits), very budget conscious, no communication with management. In addition to these ICAP specific issues, the industry will struggle with banks doing less business and more regulations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication for starters.

Great company to work for!

Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood salary; good work-life balance; great people to work with

Consnone that I know of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

You got to be tough in order to survive there

ProsFlat hierarchy
    Good compensation
    Nice infrastructure and environment

ConsShrinking market
    Shift to electronic brokering

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for ICAP (London)? Contribute to the Community!