IOActive

Updated 10 December 2014
3.9

Jennifer Steffens

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Security Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Security Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at IOActive full-time

Pros

Tons of Opportunities to grow. let me first say this is not a company that will hold your hand as your go through the process of building your career, but everything is there for the taking. There are tons of smart people and lots of resources, a large variety of work, and opportunities to even travel like crazy if that is your thing. If you can take responsibility for your own career then this is a perfect environment to help you grow or to set you up working with the top people and clients.
    There is a place for everyone in terms of company culture and outside of work life. If you like to party there's a strong party scene, even if you like to kick back or have a quiet evening there are opportunities. I personally tried out both, I found a deal of encouragement, brotherhood, and friendship working at IOA.

Cons

There are a lot of strong personalities and different structures within IOA that initially seemed a bit unstructured.
    However, I quickly realized sitting around and doing nothing got me no where, reaching out, connecting and asking for things got me everywhere.

Stay away. Dishonesty and nepotism hurting the company.

Current Employee - Director of Services in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Services in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly technical, opportunity to work with some really interesting customers, and sometimes actually get some research done.
    The brand name still holds albeit getting downhill in the past couple of years because of bad management.
    Very "thrown into the deep-end' approach, that works very well with the hacker-type and allows for personal development.

Cons

Sometimes unethical.
    Management is horrible, a string of bad decisions in management hiring driving the company down the drain which shows (high turnover, good people leaving by the troves). For some reason management "protected" its bad decisions and make the problem even worse.
    Lying to employees in order to keep them on-board is becoming a common practice. Employees are getting highly disgruntled, and end up leaving (at all levels - consultants, senior consultants, managing consultants, directors, CTO, and a VP that finally got fired after 2 years of hurting the company).

Get your act together.
    CEO should turn into VP sales, need to bring in a professional CEO who understands what the company does, nurture the unique culture, and drive the company forward (and no, don't bring them from a big 4...)
    Stand behind your word and obligation to your employees, and they might actually stay.

Unprofessional, dysfunctional, shady and offesive

I worked at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None that I saw. Although, if you like your work parties to include gallons of booze and strippers, I guess that's a plus.

Cons

Office culture: immature boys club (run by a CEO who needs constant babysitting) that requires lots of booze, strippers and catering to in the most unprofessional way. I was offended within weeks of working here by some of the cooler talk I heard (guys talking about strippers, sexual jokes, etc.) Management turnover is ridiculous and a clear red flag that this company is part of something dysfunctional. The managers who stay micromanage to an impossible degree and have no communication skills. They don't take ownership or encourage continuing education. And, if you are not one of the hackers, you don't matter to them. You are disposable and treated as such. This place might be right for young hackers who want to break stuff and get paid for it then go to a happy hour every night with their boss and get plowed. Otherwise if you are an administrative professional of any kind, you just have to sit back and wade through the dysfunction and demeaning work conversations because there is NO HR department and the management doesn't care about HR issues.

They wouldn't take any advice because they are living in their own messed up world (or dark boozy basement) and seem to be quite happy slogging through as long as they get short term kudos.

Business Development

I have been working at IOActive full-time

Pros

Outstanding company! Progressive!! Work Hard/Play Hard mentality! Well focused management! Strong goals, stronger ethics!! Everyone always will to help and assist if you ask. Strong availability for growth within the company as it is getting bigger!! Gartner recognition!!

Cons

Those that are not willing to ask for assistance or help do not get it. Looking for adults that are professionals and have the attitude to do what it takes to win and be the best.

Continue to hire what YOU perceive to be the best!

Loving it

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far I'm really enjoying my time here. I get to do interesting projects for interesting clients. Finally getting stamps in my passport going to fun places. The training has been great. Can't wait to try out new skills in the lab!

Cons

Consulting isn't always easy and IOActive is definitely fast-paced but I think that just makes it more fun.

I really enjoy the team meetings and trips. More of those please.

Fun and challenging

Current Employee - Security Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We get to do what we love every day. I love the new office and it's a great way for everyone to work together. Makes us feel much more like a team. The consulting gigs are always challenging and the research projects really push my skill set. Getting to travel and work with smart people is my dream job come true.

Cons

I wish I could spend more time with other pirates. But the team trips are great and always inspire me to try new things.

More great pirates please!

Best company in the world

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Buenos Aires (Argentina)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IOActive is definitely a hard core company. The research makes it really fun and hard. Lots of fun travel and cool people to work with. And we get to be pirates. They bring us together a few times a year so you make a lot of friends, break cool technology and have fun. This company is different than any other in the world.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about working at IOActive.

I don't know how they do it so just keep doing what you're doing!

Best place to work

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I left a job in IT to work in IOAcitve. Now I'm finally getting paid to do what I love. The gigs are fun and I get to travel around the world. Sometimes it is hard to go back home as now I have had a taste of other lives.

The company has given me the chance to meet people I knew online for years. Now I know them in person too!

Our captain is great. I don't think she ever sleeps!

Cons

I always want to do more and learn more but not enough hours in the day.

I share my research ideas often. Cesar always has great feedback and helps me create new projects.

Huge alcohol and party culture. Nepotism is strong with this company.

I worked at IOActive full-time

Pros

Engagements can be fun. You get to travel the world. Coworkers are fun to be around and very motivating. Being immersed in the industry is as career building as working in it.

Their legal department is spot on, always.

Cons

Huge alcohol and party culture. If you don't follow the "norm" in that regard, you will be treated differently and your opportunities will be less.

Operations team does little to nothing for most of the employees. It seems like they just don't know what they are doing and they don't particularly care about you unless you are in their "top 5 consultants" list.

I've seen many employees get the boot or get demoted in favor of friends of management. Often times, those friends don't have the relative experience necessary to fulfill those positions. There is a lack of respect between supervising directors and their charges.

There is no HR department, which makes it very hard to be heard when you do have a problem with another employee. Usually it's just brushed under the rug.

Reorganize your management. Hire individuals who know how to communicate. Let go of anyone who didn't pass a standard interview process.

Great experience

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at IOActive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I look forward to work every day. The team really rallies behind all the sales and marketing efforts. They never make me feel stupid even as I learn the technology. I love my clients and I enjoy all the new challenges they provide. Plus as a sales person getting to be involved in the project delivery makes it the best job ever!

Cons

Always juggling a lot of balls so never enough time in the day but it's all pressure I put on myself.

World domination. Bring it on!