Illumina

Updated 14 February 2015
4.0

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • Fast paced, well well-thought our solutions/processes (in 15 reviews)

• You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people (in 19 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company producing great products

Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Very smart and driven employees. Great senior leadership

Cons

Long hours and poor work life balance

good company to work for

Former Employee - Product Marketing in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great co-workers, exciting technologies, great culture

Cons

controlling management, few decision-making opportunities at middle management level, decision making limited to top 10-15 people in the company.

Advice to CEO: you are great and people admire you, but your senior leadership team are just looking out for themselves

Fix it before its too late

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Cutting edge, great products, niche market

Cons

too much politics, seems everyone is conspiring or watching out to get the bite of the big meat...the office culture is degrading...managers are looking out for themselves and not their teams..finger pointing, scheming.....

Please fix the culture before its too late. Senior Management...Director and above to need to get 360 degree review of the managers from the subordinates....good workers are leaving or feel oppressed....

Great company, excellent co-workers meet low wages and very limited upward mobility

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Company is on top of it's field with exciting projects where there is much to learn and it's rewarding to apply yourself. Modern workplace and good benefits. Smart people in different areas of expertise.
    When the company makes a lot of money, employees are sometimes rewarded with extended time off. Although there is a lot of work, the work/life balance is fine.

Cons

For non-managers, wages are kept low. There is very limited promotion within the ranks due to large number of people occupying all areas of work and continuous hiring at the Senior level. It takes YEARS to move up just a step. While management claims that there is opportunity to grow, it's not the case.
    For those that are promoted, very often it's just in title (and salary) without real changes to responsibilities. People can be stuck doing the same work for YEARS.

Management needs to promote within the ranks and allow employees to grow. This will become a serious problem in the next couple of years.

On the rise!

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

30% Growth Year over Year

Cons

Growing corporate-like culture at Illumina

Fast paced, not for the weak

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

You are working on cutting edge technology, advancing human knowledge and improving our lives.
    The managers expect a lot from you, because they can afford to. You get to meet interesting people in lots of influential positions.

Cons

Super fast paced. Keep up or move on. This company has their pick of employees and can easily replace you.
    We are now moving in the medical field, 24 hour support is coming, so expect to work weekends and long nights on occasion.

You used to keep us fully manned, with plenty of people to support the products. Now you are starting to really pinch pennies and looking very hard at utilization/mean time to repair/ etc. and much less at customer satisfaction.

Fantastic high growth company

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Illumina is experiencing tremendous growth. Coworkers are very supportive and flexible. There is a sincere interest to change the world of medicine. The campus is beautiful and there is a lot of energy around the campus.

Cons

No issues or challenges to report. The company is solid overall. They just need watch after their culture and retain talent.

Keep moving forward and as you grow resist the desire to become a slow large machine. Maintain the great culture and values you have. Remain independent and invest in innovation

Good work-life balance but limited upward mobility

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Upper management listen to complaints and act
    Good benefits and employee services
    Almost all employees have 9-5 schedule

Cons

More than average internal politics
    Upward mobility limited so no incentive to work harder
    Big and slightly disorganized, particularly due to absorbing recent acquisitions

iAspire Intern 2014

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Illumina as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Illumina is an excellent company with a genuine drive to be on the forefront of clinical genomics. My internship program was an immensely useful and productive learning experience. The teams work fast-paced, interns and full time employees both work closely together and receive immediate feedback. The HR team is extremely friendly, easily approachable and as new interns, I was systematically reviewed for feedback during each step of our internship program. The highlight of the iAspire Program is the highly supportive HR team which organized multiple career-development related workshops that were relevant and highly useful. I greatly enjoyed this first industry experience and would gladly recommend this internship program and Illumina for all future employees.

Cons

It will be great to have more opportunities to meet senior leaders in your departments. We usually worked closely with/amongst our own teams, with minimal interaction with heads/members of other teams.