Illumina Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
3.8

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • Fast paced, well well-thought our solutions/processes (in 13 reviews)

• You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people (in 19 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people
    Good company atmosphere
    Great company social events

Cons

In the middle of nowhere

Recent new hire, enviable onboarding process & great company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From the moment I first made contact with Illumina, I have been greatly impressed with the company's ability to deliver... the hiring process was straightforward and streamlined, the Talent Acquisition team expertly managed and communicated important details from start to finish. This is very much a company of the future, and Illumina seems to doing everything it can to stay in the lead.

Cons

Illumina has enjoyed tremendous success in the past few years and is experiencing rapid growth and transformation as it builds its organization and operations to scale for continued expansion. Things are changing quickly and deeply, this is probably not the best place for those seeking permanence. But for the rest of us, thougm this is an exciting place to be at the moment.

iAspire Intern Program - QA Intern

Former Employee - QA Intern in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - QA Intern in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at Illumina is incredible. Everyone I met during my three months with the company is incredibly driven and intelligent and very willing to lend a hand and teach you about what they do. As an intern, you will have a major project, but otherwise you can enjoy all the perks the full-time employees get, like gym access and fitness classes (highly recommended; nothing beats coming back to work cleansed after a yoga class!). But the intern program provides even more; different workshops, strengths finder, the ability to meet and talk with senior leaders at Illumina, and otherwise quite a bit of exposure. I had the opportunity to present to the VP of my division, as did my friend in marketing. Illumina cares deeply about it's interns, and it really is an incredibly valuable experience. And outside the internship program, the company is very unique. I'm hoping to get hired after I finish gradate school because Illumina is such a open, innovative, and creative company, and I truly believe the next-gen technology is the future of personalized medicine.

Cons

As an intern, particularly at the beginning, I was very overwhelmed. Everyone works very hard at Illumina, so prepare to do so as well. The learning curve is pretty steep, particularly if you are not very familiar with next-gen sequencing or the operations of the department you will be working for. I was very new to QA, so the first weeks were very tough, but with some persistence, you get a feeling for it. Another con is that during the summer, a lot of full-timers go on vacations, so a lot of your coworkers may be in and out, which can be frustrating.

Great work environment

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

Team work oriented and really strives for personal career growth.

Cons

takes a while to convert temporary employees to full time

A Company of Contradictions

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, SW tries to maintain somewhat of a relaxed, fun startup culture. Lots of opportunity to learn new skills and build resume. More PTO for first year employees than anyplace I know of, good stock benefits.

Cons

Low salary for industry, chronically understaffed projects, and the expectation that exempt employees work frequent OT to makeup for understaffing. Promotion based on personality contributes to inexperinced/immature SW middle management. SW test department lacks experience/understanding of test documentation. A systemic problem due to relience on science graduates over professionals with solid understanding of what creates quality.

Train existing testers to understand what quality documentation and testing entails. Staff projects adequately or risk continuing talent drain. Don't mistake education for experience, or growth will be exceedingly more painful than necessary.

Innovation and progress on the forefront of genomics

Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Illumina values innovation and progress greatly. The work environment is quite dynamic and allows for growth of the individual. It is the frontier in a fast-growing industry.

Cons

Depending on what team/part of the company you are in, you might have to deal with some internal politics, but then again that is the case almost everywhere.

Changes Science and Medicine

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Illumina offers the ability to be part of a company that is truely changing the was people will be treated with life threatening diseases from personized medicine and therapy to early diagnosis. Also, the culture here is very collaborative and offers opportunities in all different areas as the company continues to grow and expand into new markets such as Oncology, Software, Reproductive Health, Life Sciences, etc. This is company for people that like change....that like a challenge....that like to learn!!

Cons

As the company continues to grow and expand, we are constantly looking at ways to more efficiently scale. This sometimes forces us to be reactive vs proactive.

Keep hiring great people and diversifying who we hire.

Great

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Illumina is a good company to work for. The work is fast paced and engaging. Good benefits and nice campus, and smart coworkers.

Cons

The work here can move really quickly which makes prioritization very important, and understanding that you can't get everything done all the time.

Back-breaking and Soul-crushing

Former Employee - Just Another Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Just Another Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They actually paid pretty well. I was even told once that there was some concern that I might have been getting paid too much. Lot's of pretty, young folks.

Cons

Back-breaking work. Unrealistic expectations. No real chance to forge any lasting relationships. Horrible communication. Horrible HR. Projects are *extremely* well-guarded. Preference is definitely given to the younger, more attractive women. Expect to deal with a senior management staff more concerned about popularity, politics, and extra-curricular relationships than with actual production.

Don't terminate someone the very next day (without any written reason) when they bring up possible non-compliance with FDA regulations.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Research and Development
    Current Employee - Research and Development

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

It is an extremely successful business with highly skilled and driven employees. Great opportunities to learn from some of the best in the industry. The benefits are top notch but the pay is average which has in part been compensated for by the great stock performance recently.

Cons

There is a lack of career paths outside the headquarter but this seems to happen in other companies as well. It is difficult to get promoted from within so try to join at a high level. Sometimes overlapping or competing projects at different sites.

Streamline communication between the different offices, provide clear career paths and guidance for employees.