Illumina Reviews

Updated 3 September 2014
3.9

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 11 reviews)

• cutting-edge research organisation, very nice work culture with decent socialising events for employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Technician III

Current Employee - Data Technician III  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Technician III in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very great campus, with all amenities, great people. The work done here is remarkable. This place has all the room to move up into business. It will always be in business. Great staff of people and customers are very trained along with fabulous Customer Service.

Cons

Long wait for passwords, networks when your new employee.

I would say more "Company" days where the relaxation of coming in to work is felt on certain days. More company activity's to create bonding between departments along with departmental development.

At the cutting edge of DNA innovation; however, be careful not to trade quality for velocity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very responsive to employee surveys regarding concerns. Provides ongoing training & education. Promotes a fun, open and high expectation working environment for all employees. Numerous amenities offered to employees at San Diego headquarters.

Cons

Growing quickly, but does not have correct infrastructure and procedures to support that yet. Should focus more on Information Technology capability gaps in order to realize full potential.

Drive for innovation must also be balanced with maturity of that rapidly advancing technology.

Illumina treated me fairly, and in addition to learning a lot, I had many positive experiences with my colleagues.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Illumina is the leader in its industry, and is keenly aware of, and responds to, competitive threats.

Cons

Unless you are in the San Diego office, you are effectively a "second-class citizen". Communication to other offices is poor.

Don't pay lip-service to developing the management skills of employees who are managers - actually do it, and take it very, very seriously. It would dramatically reduce turnover. While turnover is not great, it could be much lower.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

G

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of smart people and management is very accessible. Campus is very nice. Work is fast paced.

Cons

Too many meetings means you need to work long hours to get your work done (unless you are management because then meetings are work for you)

Small company, large aspirations, life changing potential

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being involved in a revolution of genetic analysis & understanding. An industry on the cusp of a human revolution. A leader in the industry.

Cons

Work / Life balance can be challenging at times. Growing pains of a small company becoming an enterprise but well understood and being dealt with.

Good and Dynamic

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots to learn
    Best place to start career

Cons

No Process and not effective since too much to work

Employee more people.

Dysfunctional and Proud of It!!

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice campus, iCafe, company parties are fun, stock is going up, some nice people

Cons

If you love working then this is the place for you because you'll be here morning, noon, and night. La Jolla in the dark will become a very familiar sight. It's not just the aggressive schedules that will keep you at work. A good part of the work will be created by the overall lack of planning of the projects that you'll work on. This is kind of amazing since Illumina is filled to rafters with middle managers. I guess they spend so much time falling over each other that they don't have time to manage anything.

The cherry on top of all of this is that your hard work is unlikely to be rewarded. Illumina makes no bones about the fact that it will not give internal candidates preference in hiring for open positions. It's quite frustrating to see external job postings for positions that you (and likely many of your colleagues) are qualified for. The best strategy for advancement at Illumina is to do good work, leave for a few years, and then come back at a higher level.

Not great

Current Employee - Technical Applications Scientist  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Applications Scientist in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cafeteria, RSU (stock), company is doing very well

Cons

Schedules are unrealistic, work/life balance suffers greatly, bloated middle management that slows everything down, lots of silos, and a growing number of people who don't seem to have a clear function in the organization

Illumina should be one of the best places in San Diego to work. It's not.

A Veterans perspective.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice facility.
    Some good perks all around.
    Fair PTO system.
    Good benefits package.

Cons

After serving over 12 years in the US Military I landed a position with Illumina at first all seemed good the facility is very large and the benefits were great for a family person like me. I was glad to be a part of such a large organization because typically that’s good for career growth from within.
    Later as a prior service member who was in a leadership position I noticed that at almost every level they have no leadership per say, they rule by committee & political alliances. If you find yourself inside certain circles you will be fine; but if you’re out of the circles you may as well start looking for a new job.
    I felt certain mid-level managers saw me as a threat to their positions due in part to my experience in leadership and my technical ability and went after me. They kept it legal and the HR was of no help at all this stopping this harassment so I gave my notice, in my exit interview HR did not want to hear me and just kept repeating “prerogative” like a parrot.
    I cannot and will not recommend anyone working at this place especially mid-level career people because they will suffer the most while a person fresh out of college may be able to stand it.
    *This Company if not illegal certainly is an unethical company.

None- but one day this behavior will bite you in the end.

Great place to work, few promotional/developmental opportunities unfortunately

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, employee centric, good benefits, great facilities.

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement beyond leaving.

Few opportunities for advancement beyond leaving.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!