Informatica

Updated 31 October 2014
4.1

Informatica Chairman and CEO Sohaib Abbasi
Sohaib Abbasi

Pros
  • Work-life Balance: One of the best IT companies in Bangalore I have seen (in 64 reviews)

• Good work life balance, helpful colleagues and work culture (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • People worked themselves to the bone running in circles for upper management - no work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Work is not a seasonal thing at GCS unlike R&D where everything happens "before" the release time (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent work culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

I have been working at Informatica as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

down to earth coworkers, great atmosphere, bright future if you can settle down soon, good food, ready to help, no discrimination between seniors and juniors, all are treated in the same level.

Cons

work-life is a bit stressful

Would be helpful if the training is more fresher friendly as the products are entirely new to any employee joinee

Best place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer QA in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Software Engineer QA in Bangalore

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Work life balance.
    2. brilliant co-workers, they are very helpful .
    3. Lots of opportunities to prove yourself.
    4. Informatica makes every employee feel that he/she is very special to the company that becomes a booster for a quality delivery(At least that is what happened with me )

Cons

1. As I joined fresh from college i found it a little difficult to adjust with the culture and understand the products initially, So may be a basic training on this would have been nice.
    2. There is very little opportunity portray your cultural talent here, so may be people like me to loves to participate in cultural events will be disappointed .

I am not sure whether it is only my observation or it's the culture here , I see only people from NIT or IIT gets positions for Dev( freshers ) , If other colleges also gets the similar opportunity then i think that will be great.

Great management, smart people and smart work

Current Employee - Lead Applications Specialist in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Lead Applications Specialist in Bangalore

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation and smart work
    opportunity to work in cutting edge technologies

Cons

career opportunities are limited
    less work life balance

Software QA

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Bangalore

I worked at Informatica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learn extensively Good compensations Complimentay food

Cons

Internal team politcs , Employees should not be criticised infront of colleagues

Make sure everybody is treated equaly

Hi There,

Thank you for your feedback. Good to know that you are happy with the learning opportunities at Informatica.

Please feel free to connect with me or anyone from the management to

Best place to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Informatica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for more than 10 months now and I have to say this company has provided,
    Good working environment.
    Good colleagues who are ready to guide you to right path.
    No politics in the team where I am working.
    scope to learn lots of new technologies.
    Work life balance.

Cons

No cons as of now.

Thanks ,
    Anoop Ramachandran

Best place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore

I worked at Informatica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team work
    Better Planning
    Work life Balance

Cons

Nothing I could think of.

Oct 20, 2014Sr HRBP

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. Glad that you are really positive about the company. Thanks , Anoop Ramachandran

Great company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working here for the past 3 years and I have always felt this is the best company to be in if you want to enjoy your life. With decent compensation, Informatica stands out as one of the best companies which ensures every employee to have enough time to spend with their family. After all thats more important than anything else.

Cons

In the recent years, there is a big shot people leaving the company and that is a concern to every one. Additionally, the quality of work is not up to the mark. They are still stuck with the older technologies.

It would be good if Infa can introduce Car lease policy and reconsider having the friday bash.

Hi There,

Good to see that that you are really positive about the company and happy with the work life balance at Informatica.

While some of the exits were unavoidable, Informatica is a
    ... More

Really great place to work !!

I have been working at Informatica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am with this company since a month now. All I can say is this is really a great place to work. Have very good work life balance, great support from co-workers, proactive communications, decent salary structures etc.

Cons

Nothing as of now !.

Continue the good work !

Oct 20, 2014Sr HRBP

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Glad that you are having great time at Informatica.

Thanks,
    Anoop Ramachandran

I had work at Informatica as a full-time Employee for more than 1 years

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore

I worked at Informatica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Technical product based company
    2. Free lunch and dinner
    3. Flexible working hours
    4. Work Life balance
    5. Growth in your hand
    6. Perks, Bonus, No or minimum time tracking
    7. Upper management is very nice, Always helpful and believes you.

Cons

1. With inclusion of a lot of new people, Informatica has lowered the standard of people they are hiring.
    2. Pay is low as compared to similar companies.
    3. There is a lot of stagnation in the older projects. If you are trapped in one of those, there is no scope of innovation or growth .

Kindly improve the standard of hiring and salary, please focus on quality and not quantity

Oct 06, 2014Sr HRBP

Hi There,

Thanks for taking time to write this feedback. Good to see the positive responses.
    We do spent lot of time and efforts in hiring the right candidate and its extremely important that we

Informatica - Get Potential to Work at GCS India

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. One of the finest tech support labs in the world with a great set of people to work with. A team which has won the #1 position in Customer Loyalty Rankings for 9 consecutive years and still crowned the best across the DI industry.
    2. One gets to work on Enterprise Applications on Server Machines which are PRODUCTION class (system with 128+ cpus and 256+ GB RAM). This is not just a single machine, there are several machines which work on various enterprise applications (Almost all the Databases , ERPs ).
    3. Even the laptops given to the Support Engineers are 16 GIG , 8 CPU core with a 2 GB graphics card.
    4. The exposure one gets and the feel after troubleshooting a critical issue is very satisfactory.
    5. Great recognition from Management. Getting an award from the CEO is not an easy task at a company which deals with Enterprise Applications. Here , newbies make it to that level where they are recognized by veterans running the organization.
    6. The management is not an MBA hire, they have worked here for more than 10 years and are well aware of the job. Your manager can do your job by himself if you are out onto a vacation. People get down and work the level which you started on with. The management are full of techies who know how to do the "talking".
    7. Great food served for lunch and dinner.
    8. Hikes are purely performance based .
    9. The partying gets high at times and reaches the peak when the load is less . This is the moment one gets to see abroad every year as part of the GCS Kick Off which happens FEB of every month. All Informatica GCS Engineers from every corner of the world gets to be part of the mega event.Mostly happens in Europe.
    10. One gets to use their technical as well as conversation skills .
    11. One gets to realize Team work and collaboration always triumphs and finally get to be part of it.
    12. 0 hike promotions. Yeah , you heard it right, the promotions don't give you any hike. You can change your linkedln profile and show off once you are promoted. This is a very wise decision as hikes are yearly given (sometimes half yearly if you deserve it !) whether or not you are promoted.
    13. US visits where you get to make some extra buck once in a while.
    14. Evening shift and Morning shift employees get 10% extra salary as shift allowance. There is a late evening shift from 2PM-11 PM where you get 15% extra. But, very few are into this shift.
    15. No peer pressure as work is collaborative. There is a specialists team which help us in case we are out of ideas. Well, most of them are from IBM background , in fact a majority of this specialists have great AIX and java knowledge. If they also don't know the issue, they catch the developer on the neck get him to help you out if nothing works.
    16. Opportunity to work with Informatica Engineering teams across the world.

Cons

1. One gets to feel the pressure building at the customer site where there is a business at stake. This job is not for a light hearted person.
    2. If you are development minded, stay away. This requires highly destructive thinking and breaking the code at most of the times.
    3. The learning here is not through training but through experience.
    4. Less scope outside due to the nature of troubleshooting work in case you are planning to switch company. The only job I see as a future here is that of a consultant or an Admin or as a Sales consultant.
    5. Sometimes, the day might not end the way you wanted. You might feel responsible for the failure of a bunch of people working at a different company just because the use case they wanted was problematic and was not feasible.
    6. Work is shift based (morning, regular and evening). Only married people make it to regular shift.
    7. The net package HR tells is inclusive of the gratuity and insurance paid by the company and includes everything. So, what you they tell you as package is not what you get as salary EOM.
    8. 95% of workforce are male.
    9. Work is not a seasonal thing at GCS unlike R&D where everything happens "before" the release time. This is the place where people work 24/7 without wasting a second.
    10. Engineer gets paid less compared to the R&D pay in the starting which discourages young minds. No free stocks to employees and new joiners whereas R&D gets free shares. Only ESPP for GCS engineers.
    11. Marriage market is low is you are planning for arranged marriage as many people think this a call center job.
    12. There are other support teams in the US (2 centers), South America and UK who take the issues which are going to be handed off EOD if it is a critical one. The feeling of cheap labor does surround at times when we see the same job being paid higher (15-20 x) at a different country within the same organization. This is of course made less through the US visits for some folks. The feel still persists as there is a feel that some of the people in US work less and give more work to the India team through hand offs.

There are cons. But, if you are in for a long run , you will never look behind.*

Keep up the great job.