Insight

Insight Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014

Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck

Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros:
  • "Good place to start your career"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Good people for the most part, challenging work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Mid level management has the ability to make/break your role and upper management fully allows this"
    in 9 reviews
  • "There is such a lack of discipline from sales reps who do not care very much"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Company in Turmoil

Pre Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood mix of product to support any size customer

ConsMicro managers covering their own asses.
Almost no leaders.

Nice people for the most part. C-levels were very communicative of company direction and goals.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat communication from C-Levels. Employees knew where the company was heading or they were not paying attention.

ConsNot yet a global company. EMEA still acted as a separate entity making their own decisions, implemented seperate CRM. The integration of some of the prior companies were in process by had not taken place. Many of the industry standard processes you would have thought would have been in place was not the case. Did not always feel contributuions were appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat companies are determined by their level of service not the commodity products they sell. People provide those services not the products.

Insight has a dynamic culture. The Sales Teams are knowledgeable, customer service oriented and professional.

Partner Champion (Current Employee)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent training and growth opportunities. Management is supportive with regard to many aspects.

ConsWith the current technology, the ability to work from home would be a nice option, for more positions.

Good organization overall with quality people, but Insight still had plenty of room for improvement.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood place to start for entry-level IT sales. Allows reps to understand the ins and outs of the industry and sales.

ConsToo much of a divide between senior decision-makers and the reps on the floor. Comp. plan seemed to change annually and not usually in favor of the reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate (or improve) middle-management. Company decisions need to understand the daily workday of their reps.

Great starting point, then get out

Client Solutions Executive (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's really easy to get hired into sales at Insight - every other halfway decent company may want you to have experience, so Insight is great place to start when you have NONE. It's basically where you go to pay your dues, or "serve your time" as many of us refer to it, so you can get tech sales experience and then move on to a better job.

Just look at it as a way to win free stuff and get some free lunches while networking with people who will all be working somewhere else someday soon and getting the experience you need to move on.

ConsThe sales training isn't very good so you're basically having to figure it out yourself.
Lots of cold calling.
Expectations and quotas are always changing.
Compensation plan is always changing as well, making it harder and harder for you to earn commission.
Upper management sets the direction and doesn't really care about how it affects the sales people, and your sales manager may care, but not enough to speak up for fear of losing his/her job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be an entire culture shift and I doubt that's likely to happen. The sales force drives the revenue of the business and yet gets screwed at every turn. Nobody feels like they can speak up about how they really feel for fear of just getting fired.

Used to be good

Manufacturer Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYour coworkers are amazing, the only reason why I stayed so long. It paid the bills as long as I was being bonused, but if you specialize in a declining category and you're given growth goals guess what happens? You learn to live off your slim base salary.

ConsPeople with no managerial experience are hired as managers. They make decisions that they really don't understand and they are not the ones that have to deal with the fall out due to those. They don't take the time to learn the business and it can be very frustrating for those who are in the day to day grind. I also had a manager prevent me from putting in for a promotion when there were no grounds to do so. When the person that was supposed to guide me and help build me instead destroyed me, after almost a decade at a place I once loved and never dreamt I would leave; I knew it was time to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers because they have real world experience, not fancy degrees. Pay attention to NBD data and give realistic goals. If someone knows there is absolutely no way they can hit their quotas, they won't be motivated to work harder because what is the point? Give them something achievable and they will work harder for it.

The last time I worked with insight was fun I worked with some great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Insight

ProsPay is a little above median

ConsWhen the project is over....game over

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good people so you dont reinvent the wheel every project

Good place to work, but don't look at this place as a place to stay for too long

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSomewhat flexible on when you show up for work. They want you there 8 hours a day, but depending on your manager somewhat flexible. Vendors throw parties and give away a ton of things to those who work hard selling their product. Sometimes you get free lunch by a vendor. You are allowed to have 2 beers for lunch if you go offsite.

ConsChanges to compensation happens almost every year. Upper Management always says its to help you make more money, but then they raise the quotas or change what buckets you have to hit to make more money. They promise things like "services" to customers but Insight has never been able to get the services part done right. They don't focus on small businesses so if you are new or in the Small Business division you get treated like the red headed step child.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on keeping quality people there instead of changing the way they get paid every year. Also get to know your reps and find out what drives them and what they would like to do. I would start up the education program again and focus on getting more people certified in the different technology. If there is a sales rep that is CCNA certified or Microsoft Certified then his chances of selling more or help selling their product. Allow more reps to work from home part of the time.

Good Company and good people.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAn interesting place to work. Depending upon your skills there were several opportunities to change roles.

ConsThe previous Sr. Management did not have a clear vision of direction nor what would provide success for the organization. Fortunately the Sr. Management has completely turned over in the past few years. According to friends that still work at the Company. Much has changed for the better. Still some challenges to overcome but the Company is on the upswing.

Avoid this organization at all costs!

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are fresh out of college and need industry experience, you will get good training and learn the business

ConsPoor, unprofessional management that will not support employees in fear of loosing their jobs. Extremely poor benefits package. High stress, low rewards. Constant comp plan changes (never in your favor). Unrealistic productivity expectations. No career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff the business appropriately and consider the needs of the customer, Terminate all middle management and start over with professionals. Get back to the formula that made the company successfull and stop worrying only about your own multi-million dollar bonusus

Worked for Insight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Insight reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Insight CEO Kenneth T. Lamneck. All 147 reviews are posted anonymously by Insight employees.