Insight Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
2.8

Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros
  • Good people for the most part, challenging work (in 12 reviews)

• Good place to start for entry-level IT sales (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • terrible hostile work environment, terrible home work balance terrible upper management team (in 10 reviews)

• Work/life balance is non-existent (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone seems to think grass is greener somewhere else, it's not. The job is challenging no doubt but the upside is great

Cons

Always changing strategy, too much. I get it thought , they are trying to innovate and move with industry. There are cons on everything if you look hard enough. Overall the company wants to do well.

Lots of ppl there for a long time not carrying weight. AE there for 15 years and never hits quota? Why are they still there?

Good company (for Phoenix) as it is one of only a handful of Fortune 500 in Phoenix

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Above average pay, nice friendly work environment, benefits are improving (slowly), leadership is trying to get it right, emerging cloud environment may pay dividends, management is focused on improvement

Cons

Weak 401(k) match - only 25% match up to 6% of pay, 2-3% merit increases isn't going to cut it, need to scale merit increases on a value based system, inconsistent work from home policies from dept. to dept., C-level executives are paid too much (like many places) and not held accountable

Need to focus on simplifying processes, employee retention,

I'd reconsider heavily!

I worked at Insight full-time

Pros

When you clock out, you're done and can enjoy personal life.

Cons

At Plano, TX office culture changed after Insight bought Software Spectrum. "Merit increases" were a joke. No way to move up or out from desk job.

If you don't like the current team alignment just wait it WILL change, soon

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great teammates and solid middle management, where those on the front lines truly act as professionals and there is a strong desire to win as a team.

Cons

Practice development is fractured and confrontational to frontline teammates with some animosity between those that do and those that sell. While change is inevitable it sometimes seems that change here is done just to make a change.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constant Technology Training
    Fun people to work with
    Good Industry to work for

Cons

Low Base Salary and somewhat unfair commission structure

Go with Flow embrace change

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid baseline you can make a lot of money in sales but have to be willing to embrace change, you have to be willing to invest time to cross learn what services we do well and pull them into your approach t your client.
    Dont expect to have stuff handed to you you have to be the leader in your client relationship and to go to the right person in the organization to get the job done.

You have to MAKE the work/life balance, You make the $$$ you want to make,

Cons

Cons are in related to the pros, knowing whihc person to engage in tribal knowledge to get job done for client and insight.

realign the floor managers, Our sales manager are just number pushers they do not add to the sales temas for the most part. Reps do not need a floor manager to go on site with them when the floor manager doesnt even understand what the client does.
    Remove the roadblocks to the teams, we are one company. insight did not survive the .com bublle Y2K and the crash in 07/08 withut the employees standing fast with the company. we grew this together.
    Make remote systems better.

Misleading Company!

I have been working at Insight

Pros

Company talked a good game however once employed failed to live up to it.One they charge you 50.00 dollars every pay check for use of there truck to work for there company also you have to refill containers with your own water from home everyday.No money back for use of your water.Oh and they encourage sales but you have to police them for your commission if you get it at all.Also no one explains anything improper training and when it comes to your pay break down based on the jobs you did no ones knows nothing.They pay you what they want to pay you.This is just my experience. Basicly no pros. Morrisville NC

Cons

Everything that was said up top and more!!!!Sorry company starting with management on down.You work mon thru sat from 8 to 6 sometimes 7pm and still bring home 700.00 each pay period with no benefits or 401k nothing.SMH

Close the company down.He that cant follow cant lead!!

Customer service oriented where support takes priority over development but lots of opportunity for both

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of positive energy that stems from the majority of the employees working in technical sales. Managed services is still in its infancy of product offerings but is a growing profit center for the company which means the spotlight is on us and how well we can deliver data center support to Insight and it's customers we support. Working on systems owned by multiple companies is challenging and you are always meeting new people. I am satisfied with my salary for the level of work performed.

Cons

Priorities get shifted, new clients have different standards or are lacking standards, and same goes for processes such as change management, root system access, and level of vendor support for the OS. Sometimes it seems chaotic and it is frustrating when support work gets in the way of project commitments, so requires being flexible and putting the customer's interests ahead of your own.

Keep up the meetings so we feel involved and have a voice for improving our future. Don't forget to invest in training and retaining the talent required for future sales of the latest infrastructure technologies.

Its a matter of time

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful people (non management)
    compensation plan was ok got worse over the years
    Very good tech team

Cons

micro management
    lack of training
    HR policies are very questionable
    Core values are not followed

The company seriously needs to look after their employees, after 10 years at Insight i was dismissed because they found a loop hole in the HR policies. If a manager doesnt like you then they will find anything to pin on you to get you out of the business. Quote from a director "if we want someone out we will get them out" clearly worked in my case. I think the SLT need to look a little deeper into the business and realise the reps are the ones keeping the business afloat.

Poor Management

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training around sales and that is the ONLY positive thing.

Cons

Poor management with no direction what so ever. They keep handing out promo leaflets to call from. One day you are calling to sell HP printer and tell the client why HP is better than other, the next day you have to call the same client again and sell Epson or Dell and advise that why it is better than others.

They have hard time paying commission to their sales guys. You dont get any support from management. Within the last 2 years (2012-2014), more than 100 people have resigned due to poor management from their UK office. They micro-manage and do not let you sell your own way. You know your clients better, but they treat you like a kid.

If you pickup recent data about the growth of tech companies, Insight graph is going down. Its a shame to see a good company being mis-managed. They have let very good people go and have changed their way of operation from solution selling to call centre.

You need to treat adults like adults. You can guide them, but do not push them towards what your vendors want to sell