Insight Reviews

Updated 22 April 2015
241 reviews filtered by

1. I have recommended

I have been working at Insight

Pros

There is room for advancement and it is a great team to work with.

Cons

Compensation is usually below industry standard.

RUN!!

Former Employee - Services Technician in Hanover Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Services Technician in Hanover Park, IL (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- My department's management was VERY good about using time off for family related things (Doctor's appt, kid's things, etc).
    - Loved the people I worked with.

Cons

- Management engages in questionably un-ethical practices (out right lying to clients and potential clients)
    - Pay rate is TERRIBLE by industry standards.
    - No appreciation for the contributions of the employees.

Advice to Management

-Pay better.
    - Take some REAL ethics training courses!

Trying to evolve, but has a ways to go

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Industry leader and expanding offerings and services capabilities provide Insight with great potential. Benefits are decent for a large corporation. They have recently added some more innovative benefits like an on-site health clinic and on-site health screenings to improve health consciousness among the teammates. They have a nice holiday party and some fun perks from the partners in the call center. Good management training programs for front line managers are provided, if you can find the time to attend. Onsite cafeteria at the Harl location, although it's overpriced and food isn't healthy or good. Free vendor food is common and better than the cafeteria food!

Cons

Constant change is strategy and senior leadership is often times short sighted, but in the name of growth. Constant change is particularly frustrating to the sales organization who's expectations, accounts, managers, etc are frequently changing. There is a tremendous lack of sales accountability and rigor. Sales training is poor and sales management, with some exceptions, is poor. The culture is deteriorating and morale is currently very low. Systems are very outdated, but there is a lot of work being done to improve in this area. Pay overall is below market average. Insight is trying to evolve into a modern day company, but still has a lot of school mentality which makes the shift difficult. Lots of silos and favoritism still exists. There is no empowerment and you need to go through a million approvals for the most basic and common sense things. Lots and lots of meetings. Very little respect for work/life balance or time off. You are expected to ALWAYS be accessible.

Advice to Management

Stop implementing so many major changes without thinking them thoroughly and getting reality checks from those on the front lines. Change is good, but constant and ongoing changes can be incredibly distracting. Create more accountability in the sales organization. Empower your managers and leaders. Being fiscally responsible is good, but you have over-pivoted at the expense of your teammates and the culture.

Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall a great group of people to work with (at the contributor level). Several unique benefits (many free breakfasts if you work in the Harl office, tickets to sporting events, tchotchkes galore. Good time off once you have been there 3 years - but vacation time is use it or lose it so no carry-over and no payout when you leave.

Cons

You will be trapped in a cube that is as small as legally allowed. Management asks for the impossible and gives no thought into how you are expected to get it done. No career development. Minimal promotions (and those that are promoted are often done with no regard to actual skills).

Advice to Management

Invest in the resources that are needed to get the job done right. With all of the data issues that have plagued this company it is hard to believe that it can still do business.

No career path, can't go anywhere

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on resume, teammates are so unqualified it is easy to look good

Cons

There is no way to move up in the company and no type of career path, pay is below average and if anyone gets a yearly raise it might be $.10 an hour, there is absolutely no training and all the management is completely unaware of what they are doing and are only in their jobs because they have friends in upper management. Benefits are ridiculously expensive and it's literally joked about in staff meetings how underpaid the office workers are.

Advice to Management

Start hiring people that are actually qualified for their jobs, managers are literally hiring people that they know are unqualified and about to retire so that they know their jobs aren't at risk because they should clearly not have the position they do

7. Great overall experience

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tysons Corner, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insight global really has put their work ahead of their personal lives. They were there on a drop of a hat and really helped me through the recruiting stage.

Cons

There were really no cons. Everyone was super nice and was there for you when ever you needed it.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

Bait and switch

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunches are often provided by the vendors.

Cons

In the interview I was told I would double my base salary within a year if I hit my quota. I've exceeded my quota and will not come close to making my base salary. Unfortunately management gave false expectations to everyone on the team.

Benefits are horrible. Healthcare is a joke.

I would only suggest working at Insight if you've had no technical experience and can live off your base salary.

Advice to Management

My advice to management....be honest and set proper expectations for your employees.
    A good manager works to solve problems with their employees. Forwarding emails to someone else (passing the buck) doesn't solve anything.

Long time sales rep

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CEO has the long term vision to lead this company. Sales people are empowered to grow business the way they see fit. Insight is willing to try new things, attack new verticals, etc. A really good place to work.

Cons

Leadership can roll out new ideas without thinking them through. Many times initiatives fizzle. Lately decisions are guided by pipeline and forecast which results in an overall short-sidedness.

Advice to Management

Get out of the spreadsheets and focus on the "sales" part of sales management.

Great place - not enough pay

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are the best - M-F and 8-5 with all holidays off and paid. Laid back work space, friendly people, lots of contests to win prizes and cash! On site Healthcare office with only 10.00 copay. Built in cafeteria.

Cons

The compensation plan stinks. Once you lose your first year of guarantee, you lose 10k of income. It is practically impossible to make that up in your commission sales - especially in year 2.

Advice to Management

Get quotas to you on time and increase compensation.

No vision or long term focus

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong product offering--combination of hardware, software, and services and enterprise expertise are hard to beat.

Cons

Leadership is not focused and doesn't have long term vision of success. Lack of empowerment. Values on paper are good but not embodied in the company.

Advice to Management

Have a long term vision of success and stick to it. Empower teammates, improve pay and benefits to attract higher caliber talent.