InterDigital

Be The First To
Add Photos

InterDigital President, CEO, and Director William J. Merritt

William J. Merritt

Need some talented higher management to drive this place

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work environment,
open research environment

ConsR&D not applicable that much to product development
The company is trying to invest in many small projects and this make it not specialized in any thing in particular

Advice to Senior ManagementUnclear vision for most of the employers on where the company is heading and its future. Management should make this message clear.

Fantastic place to work

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFamily friendly, fantastic people, great opportunity for advancement, interesting work, great benefits and compensation

ConsCan't think of any downside to working at InterDigtial

Horizontal structure and easy-to-work with Engineers

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfit-sharing, Annual bonus, opportunity to work with latest wireless technologies

ConsLack of vision; This company is big into patents and legal so Engineers are treated as second class citizens.

Advice to Senior Managementlook at long term goals rather than keep changing your strategies every short while. This will create a lot of distraction in the work place and results in a poor efficiency from the Engineers.

InterDigital is a place that can be both a wonderful and frustrating place to work.

Manager Equivalent (Current Employee)

I have been working at InterDigital

ProsVery intelligent workforce; excellent salaries, benefits, bonuses; many avenues for learning - rotations in departments, training programs, and some really good people who are willing to teach you things and share their ideas. We can challenge ideas freely. While there's always a lot of change going on, it's a great company and our CEO is really approachable and totally gets it. There is a friendly, family-like atmosphere, very casual. It's easy to look forward to going to work.

ConsWe could update some of our internal technologies and maybe run certain areas more efficiently but the company is always looking at ways to improve so I have no complaints!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like the board of directors has always been too conservative to give good advice to a tech company so I would say to try and get more tech savvy and younger members on the board. They should be more willing to take risks on future technologies. We are extremely smart engineers and management has good ideas. I always have gotten the impression that the board blocks a lot of the more risky and interesting ideas.

The experience was not good. I worked in a myopic, entrenched chain of command.

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSalary
Incentive plan
Good location for families

ConsSuffocating, unexciting environment
Unstimulating work
Personal development opportunities very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at past achievements of new hires and use that to carve a challenging career path for them.

Good pay for very senior level engineers and managers, poor pay to junior engineers

I have been working at InterDigital

ProsGood pay for very senior level engineers and managers

Conspoor pay to junior engineers

Good money for the work hours.

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at InterDigital

Prosa very relaxed pace of work, good base salaries, good bonus and compensation, freindly atmosphere, job stability, very good work- life balance

Consinsufficeint technical challenge, poor middle management who does not care about proffesional and carrer growth, most people are near retirement- very few young and dynamic people. Dfifficult to change groups- easy to be stuck in a rut

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the fat!. This is a top heavy organisation. Add more young engineers. Make promotions more uniform. Allow people to change groups

Intelligent, Motivated and Respectful Co-workers

Intern (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at InterDigital

ProsInter Digital is a small company that focuses on the design of patents for cell phone technology. There are many opportunities to learn from an experienced R&D team. Everyone seems very motivated and there is a very good feeling of respect between employees (corporate politics exist but are kept to a minimum).

ConsThe employees are very skilled technically and tend to keep to themselves. You really need to engage yourself in discussion with other employees more so than at other companies. However if you make the effort, everyone seems very happy to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek to improve the efficiency of communication. Emphasize small meetings and discussions between a few people over large time-wasters. I spend way to much in "required" meetings. (This may not apply to everyone in the company but many of my co-workers have voiced this same concern).

review

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at InterDigital

ProsMost co-workers are great; a few are dead weight.
Reasonable pay
Flexible working arrangements (although this is getting more restrictive now)
First-level management mostly cares about their people (that's changing too)

ConsPoor work-life balance (company doesn't care if it works you to death)
Upper management has no regard or respect from employees
Typical political correctness from HR, but it's all a smoke-screen to hide lack of employee regard
Poor employee morale due to management practices
Declining level of benefits, at ever higher prices
Company is not an innovator; just follows the market and focus is on low price, not quality

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that the company's success is due to the hard work and creativity of your employees, NOT your tired and worn-out strategies and me-too policies. If you want the company to turn around, stop focusing solely on costs and start treating your people like the professionals they are; support them and encourage innovation and create an environment where the morale can improve

Small in Montreal, mostly professional in the area more than 5 years.

Intern Engineer (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at InterDigital

ProsSmall, friendly, people know the stuff well

ConsNot enough brand name power compare to Nokia, Ecricsson.

Advice to Senior Managementbring more interns and get them have a full view of the company instead of just the sector they are working on. Too specialized for a student.

Worked for InterDigital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at InterDigital reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for InterDigital CEO William J. Merritt. All 25 reviews are posted anonymously by InterDigital employees.