Internap Network Services

Internap Network Services President, CEO, and Director J. Eric Cooney

J. Eric Cooney

Company overview

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPlenty of work to be done

ConsWork is never done lots of work

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to add employees to many single points of failure

If you have to...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Internap Network Services

ProsBenefits were ok, commission was good. Base salary was ok.

ConsA lot of turnovers, several a year. Not many advancement opportunities. Some manager aren't willing to allow working from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with the round table discussions with employees and LISTEN.

No Direction. It is like watching clowns in a circus, except the clowns in a circus know what they are doing.

I have been working at Internap Network Services for more than 5 years

ProsOne of the employees found the couch quite comfortable during his shift as he would nap on it. So, comfortable furniture and get paid while you nap. If you get along with management, you know, buddy-buddy, you can work from home when you want to even though there is no work from home policy, get a decent raise and bonus even if you are a slacker.

ConsNo work from home policy, unless you are buddy-buddy with the manager. Expensive benefits. No career path. Management doesn't care about employees. No motivation. Raises are a joke. Company is extremely stingy. Nobody smiles unless they just past gas. Lack of training. Must have a certification or your bonus/raise is impacted, which you are not told until after you start.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith all of these bad reviews, management needs to be replaced.

Negative comments on Glassdoor are quite accurate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Internap Network Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay and benefits. Could be a world class company

ConsCronyism is supreme at Internap. If you're a VP or above or best buddies with a VP, you can do no wrong. Basically the company is run by VP's only. Anyone below that level is an idiot. Only the chosen few are capable of making decisions. The irony is with the current "decision makers" turnover is astronomical and the decisions they make have been catastrophic to the company. Yet, the same "few" continue to pat themselves on the back. Zero accountability at the VP level. Internap is the type of company that could read all the negative reviews and take none of it to task. Arrogance at it's best.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's the people below the VP level that are actually making money for the company and servicing the customers. How about actually listening to the people that are running the company (hint, its not the VP's)? Instead the culture encourages employees to keep their mouth shut "or else"

Company with no vision and less than transparent

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDiverse portfolio of solutions.
Some very intellectual individuals; many desire the ability to do better and more...
Compensation is on the upper end

ConsNo vision except, in CEO's mind...
Company lacks transparency at the executive level
People promoted to leadership roles with NO leadership experience
More than a 60% turnover in sales individual contributor roles
The few "sacred cows"...
Hired to "run my own business" but are not provided support and road map for success
HR group is very weak - on-boarding is shove them in the deep end and see who swims
CEO has to approve deal margins...

Advice to Senior ManagementDecimate information as to vision, direction, strategic goals

mixed

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat work associates, great place to learn

Consrebranding of company, products, focus every 6 months

Cloudy and forecasting storms.

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work/life balance is possible.

ConsDirection and leadership is non-existent. Very little ability to execute on projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide who Internap wants to be and do whatever it takes to become that entity. Being a little valuable to everyone really means you are nothing to most.

There's a reason Internap is always hiring.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of stuff to do. You probably won't be bored here at all. If you like mending outdated code written by people who left long ago you will love it here.

ConsTerrible management style. No spending on infrastructure or equipment for employees. Developer workstations are so badly outdated and bad that most developers buy Macbook Pro's with their own money just to have a usable computer suitable for software development. Their internal version control system is majorly outdated and has no documentation at all.

Childish management tactics such as banning work from home arrangements and flex time. Underhanded practices where if you were no longer "liked" you got bad projects with unrealistic time frames and you were no longer invited to group meetings.

There's no work life balance at Internap. Vacation time is difficult to schedule due to the "always understaffed" way that they arrange the teams. Developers are expected to be available 24/7 to answer e-mails and phone calls which can get tiresome with many offsite teams in different time zones. Their entire HR department is "outsourced" to ADP if you do bother anyone from the HR team from their web browsing they will respond with "oh you can do that on the portal" rather than actually try and help you.

There's a huge emphasis on appearances here more than substance. If you are someone that does not fit well into the "corporate drone" category you will be overloaded with work no one else wants to do and constantly in fear of losing your job. People who are corporate drone types get preferential treatment and honestly don't have to do much other than surf the web and occupy cubicles for show between the hours of 9am to 5pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another line of work. It's obvious you don't have a clue. Treating talented developers like children only drives them away in huge numbers.

Terrible environment... NEGATIVE ATTITUDES, Stay away if you are a positive professional person!

Finance and Accounting (Current Employee)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule...great environment if you dummy down and become a favorite

ConsHorrible environment, favortism, office politics, negative attitudes, gossip, verbal confrontations and humiliation. Will not properly teach new employees Internap processes but expect good results.Most senior employees are intimadated by new talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop participating in / (allowing) the messy behaviors of your employees and managers to continue and running great employees off from the company

High employee turnover rate for a reason...

Software Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Internap Network Services full-time for more than a year

Prosgood PTO benefits 3 weeks (which is *not* paid off when you part with the company), decent medical insurance (which does *not* start until 30 days from hire date)

Consno unified technology leadership, lots of internal politics and conflicting agendas, frequent reorganizations with layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementYou won't make much progress with people who agree with you on everything.

Worked for Internap Network Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Internap Network Services reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Internap Network Services CEO J. Eric Cooney. All 29 reviews are posted anonymously by Internap Network Services employees.