Internap Network Services

Updated 11 February 2015
2.2

Internap Network Services President, CEO, and Director J. Eric Cooney
J. Eric Cooney

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as they are not too demanding (in 5 reviews)

• work from home policy, get a decent raise and bonus even if you are a slacker (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management adds little to no value (in 4 reviews)

• I don't see minorities and women in senior management and middle mgmt positions (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I moved to Internap about 4m ago and have been very happy.

Current Employee - Cloud Hosting
    Current Employee - Cloud Hosting

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very smart co-workers, focus on a specific niche in the market (high performance computing), the staff likes to have fun, the staff takes their jobs very seriously, lots of concern for the customers, great brand new office space, all of the support and resources my team needs to do their job, the opportunity to work on really cool projects that are mainstream Worldwide, a leadership team who cares about the staff.

Cons

Because our clients require 24/7 support the working hours can sometimes be unusual, customer deadlines sometimes lead to having to push or rush things to get in place in-time. In the Atlanta office if you want to come to work or leave during peak rush hour be prepared to sit in traffic (luckily the company is flexible and allows me to come in and leave early)

Management seems to be rebuilding the company in the right direction. My advice is to recruit the best, most talented people into the organization. Great people will continue to make the company a great place to work.

majorly rethinking my decision

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn colocation and IP.

Can be good if you come with your own accounts.

I've met some great startups my first month here.

Cons

I feel like I've made a huge career mistake. Every day I feel micromanaged and do not have basic sales support. It took me many days to get a login so I could start quoting.

At my first sales kickoff in Atlanta, there was hardly any new product information. There doesn't seem to be much innovation here.

Please make it easier to work here.

Still Struggling

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technical talent is excellent (just poorly managed).

Internap marginally improves as iWeb people take over key roles.

Cons

Bringing "cloud" to Internap is like bringing democracy to China -- it may sound great, but it is next to impossible to implement given senior management's misunderstanding and lack of experience with cloud services.

Hardly any sales training on product line, internal processes, or quirks of quoting tools. Internap must fix this ASAP with the current churn in the sales force.

Sales is KPI driven, not results driven. If you inflate your engagement metrics, then you get the leads. We are told to have a pipeline of 20x our quota, which is unrealistic by industry standards.

Frat culture on sales teams. Sales kickoffs are more like spring break than they are professional meetings.

Consider bringing on real cloud experts and senior management with experience turning around struggling companies.

Rethink value prop. "Hybridization" and "without compromise" messaging comes across as a euphemism for doing nothing well.

Operations & Engineering

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time

Pros

Opportunity for both professional growth and career advancement is available and often times, promotions from within are the norm. The employees make the difference, as there are quite a few that are some of the most dedicated and brightest people I've ever worked with. Strong product offering, with a future proofing that customers appreciate.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be difficult to maintain at times, but you get out what you put in.

Upper management needs help

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, salary is somewhat competitive, office location is convenient, employees are nice to work with

Cons

Upper management has favorites and unless you are a favorite then forget about getting ahead in the company. Upper management seems to only do things if it benefits them and not their employees. No structure for advancement. No team unity environment.

Take the time to get to know your employees. Give more incentive for employees working hard and doing a good job.

Interesting strategy moves recently, stock going up, good potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time

Pros

Interesting mix of technology products and services, future-oriented markets (cloud, etc) good recent acquisitions, strong financial position and trend, nice teammates, good work-life balance (you can work as hard as you want but there seems to be less pressure than at some other big companies and small companies)

Cons

Offices spread around the country and world, IT and HR requests can be slow sometimes, some of the offices are much nicer than the others (for example the parent company HQ is nicer than the NYC sales office), some people don't work as hard as at startups

Keep at it, continue to enhance culture and office environments

Little leadership, no active planning, constant short-term projects, no focus on customer

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work well under pressure and can get things done on your own, this is a good place for such work.

Cons

The NY office is very startup oriented and fairly disconnected from the Atlanta head office. Unfortunately Internap has failed to adequately integrate its acquisitions so as a developer, prepare to maintain over 5 separate logins and use several testing and QA environments. The technical debt acquired from focusing on immediate goals and short-term put-out-that-fire type work is crippling their efforts to do good work. A major overhaul is required before anything is going to change.

No strategic focus

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Internap Network Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good as they are not too demanding.

Cons

Changed directions many times as product mix changed without a clear identity who what the company wanted to be.

Communicate better with employees

murky waters

Former Employee - Support in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Support in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Internap Network Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is on the right track by eliminating field sales positions.

Internap's future is in self serve and turn key solutions. Now it just has to execute on that plan.

Individual people here are okay to work with.

Cons

Cloud strategy is murky, particularly with iWeb executives scheduled to leave. Given the mass exodus, it is not clear how Internap can pay off the millions of dollars in debt that it incurred purchasing iWeb and Voxel.

Internap has lost a critical mass of people in several departments. When people resign and don't leave behind documentation or update coworkers, then the rest of the company suffers deeply.

Support is abysmal. NOC managers are forced to tell customers with major networking problems that a tier 2 support person will not be able to call them back for several hours.

Don't skimp on NOC headcount.

Continue to purge field sales people and shift those jobs internally. Sales is largely transactional, and this work can be done by our growing inside sales people in Atlanta.