Interpublic Group

Updated 7 August 2014

3.5

Interpublic Group Chairman and CEO Michael I. Roth
Michael I. Roth

Pros
  • Location (midtown NYC), work-life balance (in most functions), employee diversity resource groups (in 5 reviews)

• Great managers as well as great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Increased transparency from senior management and less politics when you deal with corporate in NY (in 4 reviews)

• Less direct compensation than similar jobs in the Omaha area (Both as an intern and as a entry-level full time employee (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

First job and nice boss

Current Employee - Disbursement Associate
    Current Employee - Disbursement Associate

Pros

Several company events and friendly environment

Cons

No raise due to economy

N/A

just one messed up place to work

Current Employee - Senior Biztalk Server Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Biztalk Server Consultant in New York, NY (US)

Pros

pay was kinda fair though it was less than few other companies in the area
    work location is good for commuting

Cons

worst management
    dont anything about project management
    lack of respect for hard working people
    incompetent fulltime staff , most work is pushed onto consultants
    lack of QA team

learn to respect your best guys

Stimulating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Innovative thinking and strong leadership

Cons

Health benefits could be better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, but not inspiring

Current Employee - Director  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Fair bit of autonomy and some decent managers. It really depends on what company you work for inside of IPG that will determine your level of happiness.

Cons

There are a lot of politics and it's a boys club, especially at Mediabrands. Current leadership is uninspiring and there have been some questionable decisions made by top execs recently. Not sure what the future holds for IPG.

Let in inspired, creative folks and let them have a say. Lose egotistical upper management who can't lead or execute against a meaningful vision. Identify the people who are currently really doing things differently and promote them.

Too corporate

Pros

The benefits are good. There is some opportunity to work across companies held by Interpublic Group. I like the ERG's.

Cons

It is a very corporate environment. Although it is in the creative industry, many new ideas are rejected because of corporate ideology.

Create a more inclusive environment. Many decisions are made behind close doors without input from employees. If you're going to hire someone in a management role, give his/her future direct reports an opportunity to meet them first

Good holding company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Benefits are good. Paid time off is good. The IT / Business Applications group doesn't have long hours unlike other lines of advertising, such as creative, account services, media, etc. My boss is knowledgeable and has worked her way up within the company. My team is willing to work with people to help them improve some performance issues, that are considered minor by management - (ie. coworker, doesn't communicate well to collegeaues in written format). Low level of stress.

Cons

This is specific to the IT/ Business Applications Group, I am in, not the entire company. I can't speak for the Finance, HR and Shared Services groups.

There doesn't seem to be any advancement opportunities. For example, other co-workers have been in their positions for many years 3-5, with two folks at 10+ years supporting users and implementing the business software. Other folks that were in the group, left after a few years to pursue other opportunities in IT/Business Applications, such as becoming lead PMO's (Project Managers or moving to a the vendor supplier side of business software).

Provide a career path for employees who perform well and deserve it. I can't imagine someone (who isn't in the C-Suite or a VP) doing the same job for 10+ years in today's business world without any sort of advancement at the lower levels. If there are no advancement opportunities available, how about providing the ability, for employees who are performing well, to make lateral moves into other areas of IT / Business Applications and/or IPG Corporate.

Pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Particularly for an NYC company
    Summer Fridays and 18-25 vacation days = alot of time off
    Reasonable ability to advance within the company

Cons

Below market salaries
    Politics can be a little much
    Company parties have really gone downhill since the stock market crash

Management is doing fine, they don't need my advice. I think that the pay structure tends to be a little top heavy but I that seems to be true around NY so what are you going to do.

limiting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Downers Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL (US)

Pros

as a whole, IPGs offerings through its new specialty agencies are highly strategic enabling new opportunities for strategic growth and development. the challenge has been at the management level in making these offerings tangible and accessible.

Cons

lack of growth and development
    inconsistent direction and competing vision
    general lack of creativity
    management pigeon holds great ideas as they feel threaten

Absolutely no communication, leadership, or training

Former Employee - Invoice Controller  in  Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Invoice Controller in Omaha, NE (US)

Pros

Benefits were okay, and the casual dress was a nice change from most jobs. The hours were okay. Honestly, however, I'm racking my brain to think of these pros.

Cons

A complete lack of cohesive training. There were three people training me during the first week and I was told different things by all three. There was no positive feedback, or any feedback for that matter. I was hired because of anticipated heavy work increase, but that never materialized and then without warning, after 21 days of employment, was let go because I was "not progressing fast enough". How can a person learn a job when the work doesn't exist and they are kept busy by pulling staples for three days? After I was let go, I didn't receive my check for 20 days afterwards, and the check I received was incorrect. I would not recommend IPG to anyone.

I don't even know where to start. This company needs a complete overhaul and communication, leadership, and training needs vast improvement.

Manage DBA's

Current Employee - Technical Architect  in  Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Omaha, NE (US)

Pros

Work Life balance Salary Culture

Cons

Not all management is on same page

Provide consistent view

Worked for Interpublic Group? Contribute to the Community!