Interstate Hotels
www.interstatehotels.com Arlington, VA 5000+ Employees

Interstate Hotels Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Interstate Hotels – Chicago – “hotel room”

Jim Abrahamson

A good company to grow with

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time

ProsStable with great opportunities to advance. The company keeps a list of employees to watch for advancement, and always looks within before outside. They are a great company to work with, and while large, do make efforts to make you feel like family.

ConsThey manage for a great deal of owners; the communication and expectations can a challenge given you truly serve two masters in my position. I will say, even these challenges do assist you in buidling your craft, and do not detract from my happiness in my position.

Great experience.

IT Business Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance was great. Management team was lenient and understanding. Learned a lot. Got to work with a bunch of different things and everyday was pretty much never the same. Great for a first job experience in learning, but may/can spoil you and think this is the norm in every company environment. The colleagues are very friendly and the working environment was great.

ConsResponsibilities and work kept increasing, while compensation never did and was way below the average. Even though management was lenient and understanding, they did not know when to basically "put the foot down" and make decisions. Also, management would ask employees what they think of one thing, but then do the complete opposite, basically trying to show they care what employees think, but not really listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seemed like the company does not try hard to retain its employees. The company rather hire someone new and not even try to retain and value what they have.

Good people, but lower than average pay and benefits

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time

ProsPeople are easy to work with and most corporate associates are helpful.

ConsLack of resources, salary and benefits are lower than other industries and low in general for this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to value their employees more.

A good company that needs more investment

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time for less than a year

ProsGood people and a culture of service. Management is eager to please customers and give them a good experience.

ConsLow pay and low investment in technology. A lot of the equipment is old and needs investment. Much time wasted and unnecessary work and frustration because the company does not use modern and efficient systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in you people and in the technology they use to increase efficiency and morale, and to make the loyal by paying them enough to be worthy of their best efforts. While hospitality is a 24/7/365 business the lives of the employees must be considered to reduce turnover and provide the best experience and a positive atmosphere. Otherwise turnover and burnout will be high.

Paper over People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has some great people and offers a good recognition program.

ConsPeople get lost under piles of paperwork, conference calls and webinars (you don't have time to do much else if you are a manager).. Everyone outside of the hotel level seems to do their job by simply shooting out emails so the managers at the hotel will be overwhelmed and any meaningful "management" will be pushed to the backburner because you will be stuck in your office doing paperwork or on unnecessary conference calls almost constantly. Very little support outside of the hotel; almost no task force, no tech support, and little idea of what the regional team is doing most of the time or how they even got their positions. .

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to help your people in the corporate office be more efficient so the hotels aren't so buried in paperwork. Hire more people for your tech support team. Get your regional team on the road and in the hotels to help. Stop managing by email.

Excellent

Housekeeping Associate (Current Employee)
Savannah, GA (US)

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time for more than a year

ProsOpen door policy with GM, DOS, AGM. Continued coaching with direct manager.

Consnot many cross training or training opportunities offered on site or online for associates who would like to make a career out of this job.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Unethical leadership

Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time

ProsDiscounts on hotel stays, job opportunities, drunken management outings, associate recognition, steady paycheck, cheap lunch, free sodas

ConsFunny math/reports to ownership, hours required to work, managers have to clock in and out, honesty is not the policy, no one is held accountable, "boys club"/frat boy mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a closer eye on your Area GMs and DOSs in the South.

Great company with great people. Everyone is hardworking and recognizes each other for their accomplishments.

Development Intern (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Interstate Hotels as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, travel, not stuck in a cubicle, easily promoted

ConsDeadlines, sales pitches, client meetings, detail oriented

Solid company to work for, but lacks recognition of employees.

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

Poor Orientation and Training Program
Outdated IT Systems
Nonexistant IT Support
No Oversight of General Manager

Advice to Senior ManagementI went to work for Interstate over three years ago and have always been very optimistic about the company overall. As one of the largest management firms in the country, they are a very solid company and if you put your best foot forward, your job is generally extremely secure with IHR. There is room to advance, but you must be able to relocate and it takes time to land a promotion. Unfortunately, it only takes a single egg to ruin an entire carton. Our property's GM is extremely rude, pampas and extremely arrogant towards the staff and even occasionally towards guests. He lacks any real hotel management experience and this is very apparent to the team. Our employee satisfaction scores are absolutely terrible, due very much in part to his attitude towards the team and also his inability to take necessary action when necessary to confront personnel issues or discipline staff and supervisors. Nothing has ever been done whatsoever to look into these scores and the apparent underlying problems behind them. In order to make his budget goals and for sake of his bonus, we absolutely strangle our guest room supplies and maintenance supplies to the point of indifference towards the impact to the guests. Both management and staff are (literally) yelled at and scolded for placing orders for absolutely necessary items; light bulbs would be one great example. There is no leadership with our GM and anything that needs to be learned, I had to find myself by researching in iNet. Being as vast and generally good of a company as Interstate has prided itself on being, there needs to be significant oversight on the part of regional managers and GM's.

Horrible. Plain and simple.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Cerritos, CA (US)

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time

Pros-Free lunches.
-Points when you enroll a guest in SPG.
-Hours.

Cons-It takes a long time for ANYTHING.
     Forgot your password for the computer/lighstpeed/galaxy/e-mail/etc That will take atleast 2 weeks with their tech support. Uniforms take about 4-5 months for them to even order.

-You are not appreciated as an employee.
   You are paid unexpectedly low hourly rates, especially for night positions. For employee appreciation week, you get a small bag of candy, a "good job", and dollar store decorations put up in the offices. At holiday parties, there are raffles, but the prizes are not even worth it. A small tv/monitor is the biggest prize they raffle off. All the other prizes include fruit baskets and cracker baskets!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. They are the face of the company.

Worked for Interstate Hotels? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Interstate Hotels reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Interstate Hotels CEO Jim Abrahamson. All 43 reviews are posted anonymously by Interstate Hotels employees.