Iron Mountain Inc
www.ironmountain.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

William Meaney

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Work Life Balance and Work from Home Options"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Concern for the customer as the Customer Service is poorly trained and HIGH turnover with CS"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management is new so the path is uncertain"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not found as promised by HR and Management

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for less than a year

ProsGood location
New infrastructure
No work pressure but some time frustrating

ConsMicro Management
9 Hrs is must
Onsite people assign any kind of task which could be handle by bpo to technical experts
Not much learning and career growth
No work from home
fully dependent on onsite people for any kind of decision
Not yet decided which CMMI level company is granted so be aware if u r brand oriented
not much cultural activities
False HR commitment to getting you on board

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro management and tracking people on their seat and through messengers
Bring the attitude of big IT giant
Start providing work from home and flexibility to employee
Provide quality work to employee
Stop being dependent on people at onsite

Professional environment is absolutely outstanding and supportive.

Sales Operations Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsAggressive Management in terms of taking new opportunity and challenge,
Iron Mountain employs almost 20,000 professionals,
Member of the Fortune 1000 (currently ranked: 643),
Assisting more than 140,000 organizations in 39 countries on five continents.

ConsIron Mountain not thinking anything rather than Record Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think we need to explore more into Indian market because I believe if your competitor dies in completion. Everything is fare in war and business.

Good

Principal QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsGood place to work and very impressive workforce

ConsStupid policies from supporting functions from HR, IT ,Finance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategy and Vision need to be strong

Decent work, good pay

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsIt seems to me to be a decent place to work if you want to keep work-life balance. Salary is above average and the work content can be fairly good.

ConsThis is not the place for high flier, ambitious people. The management control can become frustrating at times. It is even boring at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere is the innovation part?

Great People - But needs a strategic vision for future growth

Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The People/Culture. Iron Mountain employees are bright, hard working, and cooperative. They want to do the best job possible regardless of which department you deal with. The people are by far the best thing about the company.

- Benefits and Pay - Fair. They are pretty fair and standard for a large enterprise organization.

- Layoffs - Company had two big layoffs in two years. However, the last layoff, they treated most people with dignity and respect. Gave a good severance, gave people a transition time before they had to leave, Communication was open and up front about the changes. I think the senior leadership team really treated and handled the people better the most companies I've heard about.

- Name Recognition - It's the most well known name in the document storage business. It also has a global presence and no competitors that have anywhere near the same national footprint.

Cons- Lack of strategic vision for the future. Sales people are still asked to focus on selling paper document storage - something that is quickly becoming obsolete. Commissions on other services like scanning are quite low and pricing is not competitive. Company has focused too much on short term gain of selling paper storage revenue, but how long is that going to last?

- Converted to a REIT to save on taxes - but unclear how becoming a real estate investment trust for tax breaks shows the company is looking towards to future growth and innovation in the US market.

Advice to Senior ManagementIron Mountain was once a giant in it's industry. #1 in it's field and a world class brand that was incredibly profitable and successful... BUT so was Blockbuster, Kodak, Borders, BlackBerry, Dell, Motorola, Sony, Sears.... and the list goes on. You need to pivot the ship - innovate new services and products. Stop doubling down on paper storage and invest in a real long term on strategy for growth.

OK company to work for, but clearly has lost some of its luster

Billing Specialist (Current Employee)
Royersford, PA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWith a right attitude and a strong desire to want to do more, this organization will respond by providing excellent opportunities. I started in collections and worked my way to one of the company's top billing analysts, but only after I had applied myself by going back to school for my graduate degree and asking for more work to do. I was a trusted and valued employee there for a number of years as a result, and felt a part of a large "family", wanting to serve and support the customer base at a high level. The company culture has been better and has been communicated well by HR; it has definitely changed from when I first started with the company over 10 years ago.

ConsThe organization is undergoing a large transition by shipping most of its transactional data and work overseas as part of a cost cutting measure, although senior leadership will not communicate that to its current employees for fear of political reasons. There is not a great deal of immediate future opportunities for advancement, as there have been 3 job cuts in the last 5 years (2009-2013). The transactional data transition has not been as smooth as the senior leadership believes it has been (in fact, it's been quite rocky and very inconsistent), and the amount of customer anger is building. Issues where customers are receiving refund checks and past due statements from the organization at the same time are becoming common. In my job as a billing specialist, there were 7 different middle managers and/or VPs between myself and the CEO of the company. One VP stated in an all-employee quarterly meeting that Iron Mountain was "behind the times" when it came to job cutbacks; to me, this was a direct slap in the face to those workers that have been faithful to the organization and provided no peace to people's job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization needs to look at itself and cut out the levels of middle management (or eliminate some of the VPs) in order to improve its communication between the CEO and the employees. Transactional data processors must return back to the US, or the current overseas staff must get its collective act together before the customers' anger boils over. The company's VPs must attend a "charm school" in order to effectively communicate to its employees when job cutbacks are being announced. The company can return to its former "glory days", but only when upper management humble themselves for the mistakes they have made and hires back quality people in the US to handle its day to day work responsibilities.

Enjoyed working with the people there

Document Imaging (Former Employee)
Livermore, CA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for less than a year

ProsFor those interested in career growth, Iron Mountain is a good place to work. Willingness to work learn and solve problem will get you far

Consdidn't get hired on permanently

Good company to work for but be prepared to be a small fish in a big pond.

Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTwo weeks vacation to start, medical benefits are reasonable affordable, able to buy discounted stock options, good pay, good people below General Management.

ConsToo caught up in being non-union, too caught up in metrics instead of being customer-focused, stock price has not changed so to make it move new CEO laid off over 800 people in 2013-stock still hasn't moved.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving an open door policy is useless if the people are not listened to and are lied to just to keep them quiet.

Ever changing

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co-workers. Lots of opportunities (non-manager) to be a part of the changes that will make Iron Mountain the international company (Bill Meaney and BOD) is designing. Very modern approach to new technology.

ConsIron Mountain is professionally recognized for its fast past company restructure(s) and new technology(ies) rolled out. Rollouts have not allow time and resources for accuracy audit, corrective enhancements and knowledge dissemination. VP, Manager and field employees are without knowledge or support as they navigate these changes. And NO, a “How to” is not adequate support in the field.
Iron Mountain (and investors) is still betting on its REIT conversion, regardless the US company continues to move its structure and resources internationally.

Stressful and anti-social.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsIt's a good experience type of job; learning different skills and programs. Morning hours were satisfactory, and they seemed to treat their full-time employees well.

ConsThe morale of my department was very dull, and unfriendly. I think the use of multiple tempts for different projects actually made production slower and less satisfactory.

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Iron Mountain Inc reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Iron Mountain Inc CEO William Meaney. All 303 reviews are posted anonymously by Iron Mountain Inc employees.