Itron

Updated 3 March 2015
Updated 3 March 2015
2.9

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 8 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Too Much Politics forcing competent people to Quit..... Leading towards a Downfall

Current Employee - Sales in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Sales in Mumbai

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good History, used to be a good Company in Actaris times.. Now nothing more that property of few Politicians

Cons

Poor Talent Retention, Lacking market Focus, Too much Politics.. India (Energy) business being deliberately killed.

Wake-up , your Political Mid management is Looting the company and forcing Good people to leave

Used to be a great company that lead others into the industry and cared about their employees.

Former Employee - Engineering and Development Area
    Former Employee - Engineering and Development Area

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and time off were all pretty nice. The work/family balance was great. Having the ability to work from home when needed (sick child, school program, etc.) was a plus. Most of the managers (with one specific exception) during my tenure were great people that knew how to manage and genuinely wanted you to succeed. They would NOT make you feel defensive and nitpick everything you did.

Cons

Upper management seems to have lost their way. No clear strategic focus. Inability to make a decision and stick with it. Put very little time and research into a new areas and technologies, then decide to buy their way into it, then after a few years decide they should just build it on their own (already 2 years behind the curve and trying to play catchup). Not very cutting edge.

Their lack of focus has cost them a LOT of valuable employees. Some from attrition (jumping off a sinking ship) and a lot more from layoffs that shouldn't have needed to happen.

Every year we would hear the same thing from upper management. The first 6 months of the year are going to be tough, but things will pick up in the 2nd half of the year. How many years can you say that before you realize it has become a cliche?

Try to focus on a direction you want to go and stick with it. Don't follow the current technology because it has already passed you by. You used to set the direction that others attempted to attached their sails to. Now you have no sail and no rudder. Stop hiring the "Bob's" to make your layoff decisions for you. Take the responsibility yourself.

Great job out of college

Former Employee - Design Engineer in West Union, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in West Union, SC (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, great environment, and a lot of learning on the job. I probably doubled my abilities as a c# developer every year.

Cons

At times the work could seem meaningless. Sometimes it seemed as though the existence of my job was so that utility companies could over charge for electricity.

Establish pride and excitement of the product your selling. If you're marketing group says "it's green and helps the environment," maybe give everyone coffee cups with the company name and have a recycling bin available. Lastly, give honest feedback and more opportunities. Don't wait until the end of the year evaluations to say "you met expectations."

Not bad at all

Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Akron, OH (US)
    Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Akron, OH (US)

I have been working at Itron as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good people and good networking.

Cons

In my position I travel a decent amount and it takes me away from my family.

Going down hill, and fast.

Current Employee - Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The fellow people that I get to work with. Relaxed environment, depending on manager, i.e. ability to work from home.

Cons

Pay is way below industry standard. No training. Advancement is difficult. Environment and morale slipping daily. Employees not valued. Little organization and planning in project that it's become a bit of a mess. CEO makes 90 times the average employee and HR still cannot get to a point where they pay people at an industry standard. When layoffs do occur, talented individuals are laid off while many incompetent employees remain. Almost seems that one needs to screw up in order to be promoted. There are constant re-organization efforts and many employees shift around from manager to manager.

Need some serious overhaul of management, and communication needs much improvement. There are too many bottle necks which result in 10% of the people working 60+ hours a week while others wait for that work to be done. Resources need to be better understood and utilized.

Industry Leader

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The industry is exciting to be part of.

Cons

Employees not appreciated by management..

Exciting company with a lot of opportunity

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Itron is an exciting company to be a part of. The utility industry is changing and evolving with more advanced technologies, which makes the work we do more interesting and exciting. There are many opportunities for growth within the company and the corporate culture is generally very positive. I like coming to work each day.

Cons

The company has struggled a bit in the past couple of years, which has led to some reorganization. However, the company outlook is very positive.

Company is out of track and does not respect people

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its leadership history and past acquisitions
    Global presence and
    Vision of the future

Cons

Lack of leadership
    Lack of strategy
    Wrong tactics
    Does not respect employees
    Pretend to be fair and correct
    Solve cultural conflicts - Europe x USA

Review your strategy and change 1st tier executives

Good solid employer, but increasingly under cost-cutting pressure

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global footprint makes for interesting atmosphere, international operational management, strong investment in R&D, bigger locations like HQ have plenty of employee activities

Cons

commoditizing of certain products leads to pressure on margins, restructuring plans 2 years in row, with office and factory closings, older sites have heavy past (Schlumberger days)