Itron Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014
Updated 27 August 2014

2.5

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 5 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • India (Energy) business being deliberately killed (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Too Much Politics forcing competent people to Quit..... Leading towards a Downfall

Current Employee - Sales  in  Mumbai
    Current Employee - Sales in Mumbai

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good History, used to be a good Company in Actaris times.. Now nothing more that property of few Politicians

Cons

Poor Talent Retention, Lacking market Focus, Too much Politics.. India (Energy) business being deliberately killed.

Wake-up , your Political Mid management is Looting the company and forcing Good people to leave

Good Smart ppl love this job

Current Employee - Intern IV  in  Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for less than a year

Pros

good people, heavy community involvement, smart people, give scholarships and believes highly in education

Cons

honestly if i was gonna say anything they could use more eye candy walking around

Great changes taking place

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There has been a lot of change in management lately, but I think it's very much for the better. A lot of people were in roles that they were grandfathered into due to tenture, but had no business or aptitude for that kind of role. The new management is looking at things with a clean pair of eyes, and initiating good changes. I'm very excited about the future.

Cons

Corporate communication regarding changes and direction is kind of slow coming. Also, there are so many layers of management, it's hard to navigate sometimes.

Keep the changes exciting and fresh. Everyone working here has been craving changes and inspiration for a long time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a product manager.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very bright team, solid technology, really nice people.

Cons

I found the Oakland office to be very quiet and frankly kind of boring.

None.

This companies strengths are the people in the field

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than a year

Pros

Outstanding products and service. The hands-on people are very good.

Cons

Management left a lot to be desrired

People skills are vital to someone in management

Promotions are racially biased

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Good place for a software engineer to jump-start career and get some experience

Cons

I come from India and I immediately figured I cant stay long because I would be stuck at the same spot. Performance reviews and promotions are racially biased. The software development group is not even the worst group. I have heard the consulting group is much worse. We were told to avoid them from the first week. Fortunately, as a software engineer, you don't have to interact with them.
    In general, Itron is poorly managed and nobody in management takes responsibility when things go wrong. This may or may not affect you depending on the circumstances.

I don't know why a software company should produce meters or have a consulting firm.

I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

Cons

I was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Acquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

Many stay away of Itron and for good reason!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits and payment (although not more than competitors)

Cons

I worked or I am working in Human Resources at Itron (trying to keep anonymity).

1. Managers at Itron use HR employees as a shield all the time. Managers try to hide behind HR employees and use (or abuse) them in difficult situations. You will look bad in front of employees, colleagues, and even yourself. They make decisions on their own and blame it on HR most of the time!

2. As an HR employee, you have to deal with a lot of employee frictions in Itron offices. Use of slurs were reported but not often since I joined. However, derogatory comments, ridicule, offensive behavior, employee clashes, GRIT, and office frictions were reported VERY VERY OFTEN, 4 or 5 times more than my last employer. In majority of these cases, you have to cover-up for the employer and pretend everything is alright and nothing really happened.

3. Itron does not care much about employee comfort, employee morale, etc. To upper management, it is survival that maters.

4. It is difficult to recruit for Itron for senior positions. Offers are usually turned down and you look bad for not being able to hire.

5. Shady promotions are very common. You will see many employees who work hard (maybe even 60 hours a week) and they are stuck at the same spot for years, but some others with effective work of less than 15-20 hours a week get promotion after promotion.

6- A major problem of working for Itron is that you will get involved in a bunch of things that are not morally right just because your management wants you to do them. You will always have a feeling of guilt and will always have problems with your colleagues.

7- Some long-tenure employees have grown beyond control of managers with their circle of friends. Managers don't deal with them in fear of retaliation and have HR employees deal with them from time to time. Later, the managers cave and you will be retaliated against!

I think Itron needs more active management and regular visits of offices by upper management.

Unprofessional and hostile environment!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Not much, only a paycheck! Good if you cant find any other job.
    As far as I know, most senior employees work at Itron because they cant find any other job.

Cons

1. Terribly managed company. Nobody knows who is who, not even the upper management.
    2. Anybody can insult you at Itron and get away with it. If you report to HR, they will only help retaliate against you! It is a mess.
    3. Only junior employees work, so if you are a junior, you have to work double time to make up for seniors not working.
    4. Work is boring and monotonous.
    5. If you end up in a bad Itron office you will hear slurs every day! Depends on your luck but you can do your research ahead of time.
    6. Unprofessional environment. You get the feeling you have gone back to grade school.

1. Management needs to be turned around. Hire some successful outsider managers to help improve the company.
    2. Spend at least 1% of your time to care about employees not the stock-market!

Anti-Semites and proud of it!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Good for a short stay in between jobs or if you really cannot find a job in bad economy.

Cons

1. I dont know how they hired in Itron that many employees (including HR) turned out to be anti-Semite! I dont think it is by accident. It must have been directed somewhere up in the company, maybe even by the CEO. You will hear a lot of antisemitic and neonazi conversations and you have to nod along!!

2. Managers constantly use security equipment to listen to your personal conversations and read your personal emails, etc., to gossip with their friends in the office! Managers dont take work seriously and take their stay in Itron as fun.

Take work seriously!

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!