Itron Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
Updated 23 October 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 7 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Long tenure employees will gang up on you!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Not much. They kept telling us that new work is coming but we were in the same status for years.

Cons

Be very careful with this company. Long tenure employees will gang up on you unless you lay low. They dont work much so they dont want their position to be threatened by you. You have to have low qualification and dont work much or they will gang up on you.

Nothing. Terrible company anyway. Even if they changed all managers, still the reputation of the business remains.

Not a good place for female employees!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Some good and friendly colleagues inside the office

Cons

This company is strongly biased in favor of white males and as a female you are not taken seriously and you have no opportunity to grow. Recently, they have been trying very hard to improve this because of several reported cases; but it is still terrible comparing to other companies. Most female employees do not stay long.
    Most say that the SD office is actually the best. So, you cant expect much from other offices.

Change every single person in management. If they are performing so poorly; why should they still be on the job?

Feels like working in a dead company

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is a pro

Cons

Terrible senior employee behavior.
    Offensive sexual comments and jokes. Generally, Itron is not a female-friendly environment.
    No training for the job.
    Colleagues smiling at your face and talking behind your back to the manager.

Itron needs some major changes. Many employees have lost motivation already.

Promotions are racially biased

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Good place for a software engineer to jump-start career and get some experience

Cons

I come from India and I immediately figured I cant stay long because I would be stuck at the same spot. Performance reviews and promotions are racially biased. The software development group is not even the worst group. I have heard the consulting group is much worse. We were told to avoid them from the first week. Fortunately, as a software engineer, you don't have to interact with them.
    In general, Itron is poorly managed and nobody in management takes responsibility when things go wrong. This may or may not affect you depending on the circumstances.

I don't know why a software company should produce meters or have a consulting firm.

Chaotic lawless offices!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Itron offers paycheck, healthcare, and benefits so it is better than being unemployed

Cons

Complete chaos! It feels like working in a western movie. Nobody follows the law in itron. If you talk about law, management laughs at you. Then in every meeting they wonder why the company is not performing well.

US has law so Itron should follow the law.

Racial bias... Poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron

Pros

None that I noticed when I worked there but now I know some connections that I made are quite useful.

Cons

The upper management in itron are all 60 y.o. male rednecks that promotes racial bias under cover. Some lower managers hire minorities (females, ethnic minorities, foreigners) not knowing the company's non-written policy and trouble starts there!
    A recent outcome is that itron already segregated 2 offices (Davis, CA and I think Berkeley, CA) by firing or forcing minorities to leave or work remotely.
    Overall, not a good place for females, minorities, foreigners, etc.

Advice to CEO: Segregation is not a solution to itrons problems.... Changing every single person in management is!

Tattooed on my arm "READ ONLINE REVIEWS" after working for Itron!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Nothing more than a paycheck and if you are interested you can teach yourself in the time you have there. If you are junior you will work more than 50 hours and will learn a lot.

Cons

I literally tattooed on my arm "READ ONLINE REVIEWS" because I would have never joined Itron if I had read their glassdoor reviews.

90% of seniors are hired as government lobbyist and you will not learn anything from them. With so many "lobbyists", there is usually lack of work and Itron pushes government to create more work out of already won projects instead of trying to win more. You will be blamed for not working and lobbyists are promoted after the make up 100 lies!!

Itron suffers from terrible management. Managers keep making false promises that management is turning around and new work is coming when everybody knows they are not telling the truth.

Management and other employees frequently talk behind your back and take any opportunity to make you look bad. They tell you one thing and report another. You cant do anything to stop them so your only option is to leave.

Government does not offer itron any more projects because of bad previous experience. You cant do much when you have 2 months to get a task done and your manager tells you about it 1 week before the deadline!! Then he lies to you that it was assigned last week (when you are sure it was not) and lies to upper management that this guy missed the deadline because of his poor performance.

Dont make false promises of management turning around. In the past few years, everything in Itron turned around except management!

Incompetent Management

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Do yourself a huge favor and keep looking.

Cons

Incompetent management, poor planning, zero training, unsafe (electrically) environment, dwindling benefits.

Hard work gets no reward and maybe gets you fired by a manager who is worried you'll replace him. The way to get along is politics. Kiss up to your manager and do no more work than he tells you to. Don't take any initiative. Take plenty of time to shoot the breeze with everyone in the building.

Do a total housecleaning of all management. If necessary, get contractors to accomplish this.

I was a product manager.

Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright team, solid technology, really nice people.

Cons

I found the Oakland office to be very quiet and frankly kind of boring.

None.

This companies strengths are the people in the field

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding products and service. The hands-on people are very good.

Cons

Management left a lot to be desrired

People skills are vital to someone in management