Itron Reviews

Updated 28 April 2015
109 reviews filtered by

Great Changes Already

Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been part of Itron for numerous years, and there were some years in there where things were a little sketchy. I can see that sr management has seen those issues and has chosen to address them head on with multiple management changes for the better. There is already new programs and processes that are better designed for employee training and engagement. I've also read other reviews here regarding prejudices and slurs regarding other races and minorities. My role touches many business segments across multiple geographies and I can say with 100% certainty that I have never encountered any of what the few disgruntled employees have stated. I have no idea where that is coming from, but is completely false, and if it is true, those employees should have talked to their local HR rep who would nip it in the bud.

Cons

I do believe there needs to be better communication of company direction in the future, but that has already improved as well.

Advice to Management

please share what the future looks like and help us to be positive and spread the positivism throughout the company. The future looks so bright!

Good Smart ppl love this job

Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good people, heavy community involvement, smart people, give scholarships and believes highly in education

Cons

honestly if i was gonna say anything they could use more eye candy walking around

Great changes taking place

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There has been a lot of change in management lately, but I think it's very much for the better. A lot of people were in roles that they were grandfathered into due to tenture, but had no business or aptitude for that kind of role. The new management is looking at things with a clean pair of eyes, and initiating good changes. I'm very excited about the future.

Cons

Corporate communication regarding changes and direction is kind of slow coming. Also, there are so many layers of management, it's hard to navigate sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep the changes exciting and fresh. Everyone working here has been craving changes and inspiration for a long time.

Chaotic lawless offices!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Itron offers paycheck, healthcare, and benefits so it is better than being unemployed

Cons

Complete chaos! It feels like working in a western movie. Nobody follows the law in itron. If you talk about law, management laughs at you. Then in every meeting they wonder why the company is not performing well.

Advice to Management

US has law so Itron should follow the law.

Racial bias... Poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron

Pros

None that I noticed when I worked there but now I know some connections that I made are quite useful.

Cons

The upper management in itron are all 60 y.o. male rednecks that promotes racial bias under cover. Some lower managers hire minorities (females, ethnic minorities, foreigners) not knowing the company's non-written policy and trouble starts there!
    A recent outcome is that itron already segregated 2 offices (Davis, CA and I think Berkeley, CA) by firing or forcing minorities to leave or work remotely.
    Overall, not a good place for females, minorities, foreigners, etc.

Advice to Management

Advice to CEO: Segregation is not a solution to itrons problems.... Changing every single person in management is!

Incompetent Management

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Do yourself a huge favor and keep looking.

Cons

Incompetent management, poor planning, zero training, unsafe (electrically) environment, dwindling benefits.

Hard work gets no reward and maybe gets you fired by a manager who is worried you'll replace him. The way to get along is politics. Kiss up to your manager and do no more work than he tells you to. Don't take any initiative. Take plenty of time to shoot the breeze with everyone in the building.

Advice to Management

Do a total housecleaning of all management. If necessary, get contractors to accomplish this.

8. This companies strengths are the people in the field

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding products and service. The hands-on people are very good.

Cons

Management left a lot to be desrired

Advice to Management

People skills are vital to someone in management

9. I was a product manager.

Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright team, solid technology, really nice people.

Cons

I found the Oakland office to be very quiet and frankly kind of boring.

Advice to Management

None.

10. I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

Cons

I was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Advice to Management

Acquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

Used to be Itron until 2008, Now it is I-SLUR!

I worked at Itron full-time

Pros

Itron was a great place to work for until 2008.

Cons

Itron is a sad story. It used to be a great smart-grid company with talented people when I joined. However, many good employees left Itron and weak employees reached high positions in recent years. The upper management did a terrible job of letting super weak and non-working employees reach high positions and now it is too late. These employees didn't work, didn't let others work, and didn't even let us hire strong candidates for open positions! They wanted to fill all positions with weak candidates (mostly their friends!?) that were not a threat to them. All they did was talk and talk and I never saw them work during the years! If you get a management position, you have to put up with the weak non-working employees that they let you hire!

To be successful in current Itron, you should NOT work hard because current employees will gang up against you and do anything they can to make you leave. The majority of the performance reviews are based on relations not your actual work and the harder you work, the worse they get. Simply, "Itron will not evaluate you based on the work you do". You will only be promoted If you are friends with the gang in the office. It is all politics that matters not work. I believe the upper management is aware of the situation but they have more critical financial issues to worry about currently.

I used to work for Itron a while back before they revoked my visa and I had to go back to India. During the more recent years I heard many derogatory comments about me and my country and heard lots of slurs at Itron. It became a common pattern that I wouldn't even notice it anymore until they revoked my visa and did not give me time to find another job. They did it on purpose!

I do not recommend Itron to non-residents, smart young professionals, hard-working people, minorities, and junior employees.

I recommend Itron to friends of the current weak employees that are leading in Itron.

Advice to Management

Find the big-talk no-work employees and lay them off. Hire some strong qualified employees for high positions and management positions.