J.B. Hunt
www.jbhunt.com Lowell, AR 5000+ Employees

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros:
  • "Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Improvement in work life balance and work flow"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance as you move up the ranks"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Work long hours, Lots of Responsibility with little to no authority to control your operational area"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good place to work, good benefits, good opportunity to advance

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

ProsLove the NW Arkansas area. Opportunity to advance or transfer out of jobs. Generally a nice place to work.

ConsI haven't found anything to be dissatisfied about.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with people. Clue them in on upcoming changes or directions.

My time at JB Hunt was very enjoyable and challenging. The experience I obtained while an Account Manager was valuable.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFast passed environment, benefits, the people.

ConsAt this time, I cannot list any.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery manager has his/her own management style and the result of their disposition is their own success or failure. JB Hunt had great management teams.

Gained Valuable Experience

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

ProsThe ability to work close with your drivers and customer. You are basically given a franchise JB Hunt branch when you become and account manager

ConsYou are expected to work in excess of 60 hours per week as an account manager, especially one that you are at on your own. If a driver happens to get into an accident you could end up with a 15+ hour day. You are also on call as soon as your drivers get to their trucks, that could be 24 hours a day or 3 am, and if something goes wrong your phone will ring and you have to deal with the issue then, and sometimes go into the office.

It's a great place to work with a good shop environment,and good relationships between the techs.

Diesel Mechanic Journeyman (Current Employee)
San Bernardino, CA (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 10 years

ProsJb hunt is a Very reliable company to work for,safety matters in the shop,they pay well,the shop is clean,there's always training on the newest trucking equipment that jb hunt runs,and jb hunt is a leading trucking company in north America that's always growing.

ConsHeath care is a bit on the high side.

Good Company

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get a lot of responsibility and learn how to manage a business and people.

ConsLong hours
On call nights and weekend
Benefits could be better
Very little vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance.

Great place to learn and grow

Regional Logistics Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTeamwork, dynamic work environment, given responsibility quickly, great exposure to a large business and ability to quickly become ingrained and attuned to large companies supply chain needs and transportation.
Constantly challenged to grow as an individual and team.

ConsWork-life balance can be a challenge - its a personal problem for me that I tend to have a hard time switching off. Easy to let work become your life as a result.
On that same vein, time off could be encouraged and given more time sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure you avoid being penny wise and dollar foolish by allowing good people to leave because they feel their prospects are limited or that they can earn more elsewhere and work less hours. Encourage individual growth and mentoring from upper management.
Continue to emphasize to all business units how vital all the other business units are. Currently attitudes of more established units tend to be that they are more important or necessary than newer units. Great exposure and/or cross training should help limit this.

Fantastic

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHuge potential for growth and advancement

ConsHard work and demanding industry

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing!

Carrier Sales Coordinator

Carrier Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

ProsFast paced. Growing company. Good values.

ConsLong hours. Low salaries. Not personable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more specific with your employees on all their job duties and responsibilities.

Local Truck Driver

Local Truck Driver (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is alright and it's easy to take time off if you need to. Mostly everyone that I work with is nice and helpful.

ConsWork hours are really long, usually 12 to 14 hours per day. Paid by mile and stop not by the hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementA good hourly pay rate would be nice.

Great learning experience in dealing with and managing individuals, but with many long days and without growth potential

Fleet Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of responsibility early on. Will be "drinking from a fire hose". Gives you a chance to really develop and learn foundational elements about the industry. Good bonus when the company is doing well.

ConsThere really isn't much of a training program and what the training that is available is very disorganized. Lots of work and not many opportunities to move up.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for J.B. Hunt CEO John N. Roberts III. All 183 reviews are posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees.