J. Crew Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
3.8

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There was also a great discount for employees that was great during the holidays (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 38 reviews)

• I was hired as a part-time Sales Support Associate, and I remained (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Superb work environment

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at J. Crew part-time

Pros

Positive work environment, great support and training from superiors, lots of entry-level autonomy, and wonderful discounts.

Cons

I guess working late nights or on Saturdays sometimes? They try to accommodate your schedule though.

it s agood company ,love working here the only thing bad abt the company is management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mumbai

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good working environment ,heafty salary,good apparaisal,great work life balance

Cons

bad management, too much work load

open up

Opportunities to fully immerse yourself.

Current Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The managers are always doing their best to make the work and training environment fun and energetic. During training and all-store meetings, we would usually have group activities where some of the associates would style another associate as if they were styling a customer, which helps everybody to get an idea of the top looks of the season and how to sell the merchandise we offer. If you want to work here, you really have to like the brand and be a good representation of it; the employee discount is phenomenal because they really expect you to buy and wear J. Crew clothes in order to set a stylish "example" for customers. They're usually pretty good about not scheduling you outside your availability and granting the days off you request, with the exception of busy holidays (which is true of most retail, unless you're one of the lucky few who put in their requests WAY in advance). Associates and managers are a diverse bunch and I have encountered only a few, isolated & far-between incidents of sexism--employee HR reports are taken seriously.

Cons

I was hired as a part-time Sales Support Associate, and I remained part time even when I switched departments. I had a large availability and they scheduled me for ALL of my availability. I was part-time but still working 5 days a week, 8-9 hour shifts. If you're back-of-house (stock, merch, etc), they're going to schedule you EVERY DAY you're available, trust me. Its nice to be relied on, but I had to take a day off of my availability to catch up on some needed sleep.

Learn to balance your employees a little bit more. Its strange when there are two employees who work in the same department and are both part-time, yet one is complaining about not receiving any hours and the other is complaining about being stressed and overworked.

Great Company that takes care of employees

Former Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Working Enviorment, Great products, Managers are willing ro help you at all times, and Generous Employee discount.

Cons

no room for growth within company...hard to advance your career with company.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Wilmington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Wilmington, NC (US)

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the company culture and the sales environment. It has been a fantastic job and I'll be terribly sad to leave when I have to.

Cons

Being in a low inventory store in the south is a bit difficult because what our customer is looking for and what we have in store does not always align.

Very structured, nice place to work for, decent hourly pay for seasonal employees. The work atmosphere was competitive.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwich, CT (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You know what is expected of you, there is a nice discount for employees, probably so that they can keep up with the strict dress code.

Cons

The dress code can be complicated and a little more difficult than it needs to be. It requires a lot of money to be able to wear the things they want you to wear to work.

Amazing ONLY depending what store you work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing management, great customers, amazing discount

Cons

There are zero cons at J. Crew

Keep doing what you're doing

amazing seasonal experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

the benefits are amazing to the employees! they want the best out of their employees

Cons

training for seasonal can be long but it is do able

there doing a great shop

I quit and regret it

I have been working at J. Crew full-time

Pros

Great company vision, growing range and good discount

Cons

poor district management, poor communication

Hire more DMs

A great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The clothes are great and it's easy to work here when it's a brand you believe in. The store discount is pretty great too!

Cons

Working the sales floor can get pretty monotonous when there's not a lot of traffic going in and out of the store.