J. Crew Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
3.7

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There was also a great discount for employees that was great during the holidays (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 38 reviews)

• You get No Benifits they keep all employees at part time (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Superb work environment

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at J. Crew part-time

Pros

Positive work environment, great support and training from superiors, lots of entry-level autonomy, and wonderful discounts.

Cons

I guess working late nights or on Saturdays sometimes? They try to accommodate your schedule though.

it s agood company ,love working here the only thing bad abt the company is management

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mumbai
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mumbai

I have been working at J. Crew full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good working environment ,heafty salary,good apparaisal,great work life balance

Cons

bad management, too much work load

open up

Opportunities to fully immerse yourself.

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at J. Crew part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The managers are always doing their best to make the work and training environment fun and energetic. During training and all-store meetings, we would usually have group activities where some of the associates would style another associate as if they were styling a customer, which helps everybody to get an idea of the top looks of the season and how to sell the merchandise we offer. If you want to work here, you really have to like the brand and be a good representation of it; the employee discount is phenomenal because they really expect you to buy and wear J. Crew clothes in order to set a stylish "example" for customers. They're usually pretty good about not scheduling you outside your availability and granting the days off you request, with the exception of busy holidays (which is true of most retail, unless you're one of the lucky few who put in their requests WAY in advance). Associates and managers are a diverse bunch and I have encountered only a few, isolated & far-between incidents of sexism--employee HR reports are taken seriously.

Cons

I was hired as a part-time Sales Support Associate, and I remained part time even when I switched departments. I had a large availability and they scheduled me for ALL of my availability. I was part-time but still working 5 days a week, 8-9 hour shifts. If you're back-of-house (stock, merch, etc), they're going to schedule you EVERY DAY you're available, trust me. Its nice to be relied on, but I had to take a day off of my availability to catch up on some needed sleep.

Learn to balance your employees a little bit more. Its strange when there are two employees who work in the same department and are both part-time, yet one is complaining about not receiving any hours and the other is complaining about being stressed and overworked.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a great part time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Aurora, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really love their clothes, so it was fun to interact with customers and help put together outfits. I got to be myself. The managers were very flexible and definitely cared about the employees.

Cons

Sometimes hours were scarce. The job could be overwhelming on busy days or holidays.

Great company, great benefits

Current Employee - Finance  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at J. Crew full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Regarding working at the corporate headquarters: very generous vacation time, nice company 401K match, summer Fridays, creative and talented people, industry -leader CEO

Cons

Retail sector is up and down so at times can be stressful if sales are not great. It can be hard to move up, or to move to another department.

Don't overlook promoting from within over going to the outside.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, MA (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic group of people to work with in a creative environment. Great discounts on the clothes and great work ethic.

Cons

No full time positions were available at the time.

Retail Sales Support Review

Former Employee - Sales Support
    Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at J. Crew part-time for more than a year

Pros

I can only speak to my store/ district: good leadership, good wages for part time, upbeat, responsible co workers and managers, and not difficult work.

Cons

Not much room for growth unless you're willing to put in crazy hours, a little boring, horrible rude customers.

Promos for employees were the only things that made me have any desire to work harder.

Great

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Flexible schedule, customer service experience

Cons

Low pay, hard to move up

The kind of job where going to work makes your day better, not worse.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Camarillo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

30% employee discount, including gift cards and 50% off clearance. I had to leave a few times for Army National Guard service, and each time I came back they were excited to bring me back on as soon as I wanted to come back to work. This is the kind of place where if I was having a bad day and thought about calling in sick, I always made myself go to work, not because I was afraid of getting in trouble for not coming in, but because I knew that going in to work would make me feel better. The store management actually cared about us, whenever I was having an off day I could always talk to my management about it and they would be there to listen and to offer advice, whether it had to do with work or personal life.

Cons

The Store Director left for another company, and her replacement (brought in from another company) was AWFUL. There were several people in assistant management positions within the company that wanted the position and would have been great at it, but they were passed up.

Look for current employees to promote first rather than bringing in outsiders. J.Crew has so many amazing people already employed within the company that are more than willing and able to rise to the challenge.

Truly a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate

I have been working at J. Crew part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is great and very approachable. They really work to build a team that cares about J.Crew as a brand and represents the company well. Everyone gets along for the most part and it's actually enjoyable to go to work. They're also really flexible about working around scheduling issues. I was able to change my schedule every semester while a full-time college student and they didn't get upset about it, they actually were super supportive. They provide training throughout the year and are good about keeping employees in the know about corporate changes. Also, the discount is a huge benefit and they offer a number of other benefits even to part-time employees. Overall, J.crew a really great company to work for!

Cons

On call shifts can be frustrating. Also, a shortage of hours during the spring and summer.

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!