JDSU

JDSU Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter

Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week (in 9 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are overworked - no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A Good Review, In Spite of JDSU

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

ProsI enjoyed learning about, and being a contributor to, the technology and its applications for everyday products.
    The corporate culture was open, friendly, and helpful - a singular occurrence these days.
    I was able to grow my career and develop new skills

ConsToo many computer systems and software - every time JDSU bought another company, we'd have to learn and incorporate their system and methods.
    JDSU's corporate culture was systematically eroding the friendly atmosphere of our division (Custom Optics, Santa Rosa, CA). The homogenization process will remove the essential core of what made OCLI successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the smaller companies bought to maintain their individuality. They were, presumably, purchased because of their success and product. Removing unique corporate character will inevitably harm both.

engineer

Manufacturing Engineer Staff (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

Prosgood environment, Friendly people, managers are reasonable and easy to deal with

Consa little bit heavy work load, not much career development

Empty Promises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsGreat Products! Has Potential with room for improvements

ConsConstant layoffs even if you are doing an outstanding job. Still outsourcing jobs. It is hard to believe your management, when they say one thing and do another.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will have a hard time getting people to work at JDSU if you are not willing to stop the constant layoffs. Also, look closer at the people you are laying off. It seems that you are too top heavy and some management is lazy. Management likes to ignore internal problems or feedback since it may cause them more work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has Potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, diverse portfolio of products.

ConsConstant Reductions in Force.... it never ends, be prepared even if you do a phenomenal job! Never ending cost reductions!

Advice to Senior Managementwith the never ending churn, it will be tough to become the company you say you want to be!

Nice place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Culture, friendly environment and location is good for San Jose folks.

ConsNot much growth. Too much focus on KPI and not on the actual work.

Not recommend for recent graduate. Recommend for people who get married & has a child.

Engineer (Current Employee) Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

ProsWork life balance. If you want your life easier, come here. You don't need to have much skills but can earn average salary. And you can stick at one position for 10 years+ and don't need to worry someone will replace you.

ConsRecent graduate please stay away from this company, they do not offer any career development here. Management positions are occupied by people who worked here by 5 years or more. And I am sure they won't give up their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs JDSU is keep expanding and acquiring other companies, please hire someone who can do the real management. Please care or at lease show your respect the staff's idea.

Marketing

ProsThe people - many are really gifted, wonderful people to work with.
    There are really good products coming out of this company with R&D investment (though company seems fearful to commit that to customers.)
    Seeing the possibilities for improvements.
    Hopeful that upper management is putting plans forward in response to annual employee surveys that will help move us forward.
    This is a company that doesn't have everything 'figured out', and they know it. Lots of great managers that are open to new ideas. If you like to be able to shape and influence, this is a good place to be.

ConsConcerned that the annual employee survey is only for management to hit a metric. The survey is no longer as detailed nor as probing for complete info. Makes me think the survey is designed to help upper management hit whatever target they want to reach instead of truly probing for info that will help the company.
    Are we really done with layoffs yet - or will the next quarter be another round?
    Getting a promotion doesn't necessarily mean you get a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember people are working really hard and stretched thin. Please plan your deadlines and communicate that out in a timely manner. At least two-four weeks notice would be a gift. People are on planes, visiting customers and hopefully having a personal life.

Exciting challenging Product Development

Program Manager (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsCompany is paying great attention to their employee satisfaction in recent years. Plenty of challenging projects with great collaborations.

ConsNo major one. Good transparency.

Good place to work, if only my job was still there...

OPs Management (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to work. Really enjoyed the people. Salaries are competitive and good benefits.

ConsNone of the hardware products will be Made in the USA - all domestic manufacturing is being outsourced to global Contract Manufacturers, all of whom are currently outside the USA. The end result being a lot of manufacturing people being laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementSaving labor costs by outsourcing offshore isn't always the best solution.

System Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got work from home and the managers were co-operating

ConsI found not much growth potential overall

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!