JDSU

JDSU Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter

Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week (in 9 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are overworked - no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Horid Management

ProsThere is decent technology at JDSU.

Conscompany is spread out - no one culture. The markets they serve are so boring. Employees are miserable as this company is so old and stodgy. Management is the worst I have ever worked with.

Advice to Senior Managementstop worrying about just yourselves and politics and focus on employees

Horrible and distressing experience

Human Resources (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsCareer opportunities if you demonstrated aggressive drive

ConsCore values of the senior leadership team

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a method to regularly review core values and make escalation a healthy part of your culture

Great learning environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat people, exciting work, a lot of committment from lower level management

ConsManagement changes priorities way too often. Not enough coordination between business units

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for now

ProsGood work environment as long upper mgmt is not involved.

ConsBad Mgmt. Too many layoffs

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good people. Ambiguous company direction.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsGood people. Good compensation. Company treats it's employees well.

ConsNot sure if the company really knew where they were going. Constant management changeups. Frequently changing message to the engineers. Made it hard to stay motivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify and focus.

JDSU is a very negative environment with continual cost cutting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsSome really good employees
    Challenging work

ConsEmployees are overworked - no work/life balance
    Constant cost cutting
    Terrible senior management team - Sr. VP, HR in particular has a well deserved negative reputation in the valley - not a function you want to join

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a more competent senior management team

Up and down

Security Pigment Recon (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

Prosbenefits are ok
    like who I work with

Consmanagement seems lost and way to busy for be so top heavy here in Santa Rosa

Advice to Senior ManagementLets layoff more six figure staff the ratio of management to employee is tilted heavily toward management.

Not a good place for women

Finance (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsCompany has fairly good benefits, quite old HQ office in Milpitas. Good work / personal life balance, had chance to work from home when had to. If you negotiate upfront, salary is at par with market. On-site cafeteria, very small gym. Very nice colleagues, smart people you can learn from.

ConsGood ol' boys club. Working in Corporate is highly political, women are promoted very rearly. Everything depends on the fact if you have an executive sponsorship - friendly VP who will put in a word for you, otherwise, you will die waiting for promotion.

Negotiate your salary upfront, salary raise is not happening there either. Merit happens once in a while. Bonuses promised, but after bonus calculation you get a small portion of what was promised to you. High attrition.

If you are an assertive smart woman with career aspirations, you are seen as threat to your male colleagues, given a hope for promotion and loaded with extra work (temporary as promised); however promotion never happens and temp assignments stay with you forever. Some senior managment is clearly lacking experience, you are expected to train them. Be aware of annual reviews: nitpicking and back stabbing is a norm.

Going to review meetings with executive management is seen as an opportunity to show that you are a part of the decision making, therefore is being coveted and reserved for directors and above only. Even if they can't explain details of your work due to lack of understanding.

Corporate vanity fair at it worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the house.

JDSU is a rewarding and interesting place to work!

Compensation Analyst (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA (US)

ProsThe company cares about employees and demonstrates this thru respectful management practices while pushing hard to compete in the marketplace. Management has done a good job in staying visible by communicating to the employee population on an ongoing basis thru the company website LightSource. When we showcase our products, we also showcase the people who make it all happen. The company takes employee feedback seriously and takes actions based on regular employee engagement surveys.

ConsChange is constant since we conduct a lot of acquistitions. We have a bonus plan, but it need to pay out at 100% more often.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep striving to win. Stay the course.

Senior software engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsFlexible work time in this company

ConsNo good career future in this company

Advice to Senior Managementcare more employee development

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!