JR Simplot Reviews

3.6

JR Simplot Chairman Scott Simplot
Scott Simplot

Simplot

Former Employee - Systems Service Technician  in  Caldwell, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID (US)

I worked at JR Simplot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Simplot offers a significant level of job security for strong contributors. Pay is competitive. Working conditions are acceptable. The people at Simplot are very friendly, and you are always made to feel welcome there.

Cons

The culture at Simplot does not seem to allow innovation, but innovation is expected by upper level management. It seems that there is a breakdown between corporate communicated standards, and what unit level management actually does. There is a definite barrier between hourly and salaried employees that seems to be somewhat influenced by the presence of the teamsters union. I was never a union employee, so I never could understand this separation. I do know that whenever I spoke up, I was basically told to sit down and shut up.

Upper management would be wise to somehow get a better picture of what actually goes on at the unit level. For example, audits are viewed as necessary check the box opportunities, and when the audit is over, everything goes back to as it was before. Standard Operating Procedures are nothing more than checklists that do little or nothing to prepare the worker to perform the work in a way that is consistent. Therefore the actual details that guide the performance of the task are learned through trial and error or tribal knowledge. If on the job training is used, there is no documentation of the actual OJT event. People get signed off on their job duties, many times not really knowing what they are doing or why they are doing it.

Eventful

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for less than a year

Pros

great pay for entry level employment.

Cons

great working environment for everybody

12 years No regrets!!!

Current Employee - Manager Outside US  in  Boise, ID (US)
    Current Employee - Manager Outside US in Boise, ID (US)

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great team of people to work with...you get diverse cross-functional opportunities to grow keeping in mind your interests and aptitude. I have seen HR person can jump into Plant Mgmt and vice versa plus much more. I was personally given immense opportunities by the company both in US and Internationally to grow and move around different business functions and locations. you need to PROVE your worth first before the honeytaps are opened up by decision makers. Compensation is average for the food industry but there is great deal of stability.

Cons

Diversity is sorely lacking in the Organization. No clearly defined career path for above-average performers and thats frustrating.
     Also too soft and liberal in tackling the competition.

Cumbersome systems that require lot of time and efforts to make changes happen. More flexibility & entrepreneurial spirit is required. Innovation needs to be formally recognized and rewarded at all levels of the Organization.Need more latitude in taking risks and fast decisions.Transparency in making decisions is also needed...lot of time there appears to be no logic behind some decisions being made. We need hard-nosed , ruthless negotitators and leaders to survive the competition especially outside the US.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, love to grow employees

Former Employee - Intern  in  Umatilla, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Umatilla, OR (US)

I worked at JR Simplot as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work for, help you understand every question you may have.

Cons

Management can sometimes be unstructured, no sure who takes priority.

Good place to work once upon a time

Former Employee - Factory Worker  in  Moses Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Factory Worker in Moses Lake, WA (US)

I worked at JR Simplot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensation can be a plus

Cons

Its not what it used to be and is not a good place to consider for a career any longer and after management changes it's only gotten worse. They don't care about people anymore since JR is gone and ethically, upper management knows no bounds if they decide it's your turn to go. Its turned into something that can be abusive and downright hostile and theres no longer anyone you can trust as a mentor.

Have a process for working with people. You might think you do, but you don't have anything comprehensive anymore.

great people, company takes care of you

Current Employee - Office Coordinator  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Office Coordinator in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for less than a year

Pros

job security, very good company to work for people are good well meaning people, very good benefits, pay is not the top but the benefits make it worth it

Cons

not really a chance to move up, alot of control issues , people who have worked for this company a long time dont want to share the knowledge maybe they feel somone younger may take thier jobs.

give the little ones a chance

Old Fashioned, Large, and Slow Moving

Current Employee - Environmental Engineering Intern  in  Boise, ID (US)
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineering Intern in Boise, ID (US)

I have been working at JR Simplot as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Other employees were friendly, and the job payed decently well. I was given a high degree of independence in my work.

Cons

Work was generally pretty dull, very slow moving environment made it feel like I made little impact. The cubicles and office space was pretty mundane and depressing. Very little interpersonal interaction in the job, difficult to get worthwhile feedback. Didn't feel particularly valued as an employee.

Modernize the work environment in order to foster more creativity and innovation in the workplace.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - IT Datacenter Operations  in  Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - IT Datacenter Operations in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at JR Simplot for more than 3 years

Pros

Cutting edge multi-billion dollar privately owned family company in a small town. Worked with many people who later moved on to high value companies around the world.

Cons

Because it is a private owned family company most people are not familiar with the company that produces the food millions of people eat every day.

Do some commericals about the company. Think BASF commercials...we dont make things, we make the things that other people make things from...something like that.

I worked for J R Simpot for 5 years

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor  in  Moses Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor in Moses Lake, WA (US)

I worked at JR Simplot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved the job I had there.

Cons

They were good to woke for.

Kep employees happy

Injured on job after 3 years, took a year to get diagnosis, harassed and fired while injured

Former Employee - Systems Service Technician  in  Caldwell, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID (US)

I worked at JR Simplot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

To keep from starving to death.

Cons

Unprofessional, filthy, favoritism, nepotism, poor advancement opportunities, racism, cronyism, high injury rates, harassed for reporting injuries, fired while on leave for work injury surgery, said that I had met a 3 strikes termination policy but couldn't produce records of my three work violations. Young healthy people were constantly getting pneumonia from filthy bacteria infested, black mold encrusted factory at a food plant!

Have a soul.

JR Simplot Photos

Yard
Cleaning out old tanks
equipment in yard

+ Add Photo

Worked for JR Simplot? Contribute to the Community!