Jack Henry & Associates

Jack Henry & Associates Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim

Jack Prim

Pros:
  • "Great Benefits/salary/VERY CASUAL WORK ENVIRONMENT"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Every company says they care about customer satisfaction and employee work-life balance"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "In more technical jobs the work/life balance is hard"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Lack of growth opportunities for virtual or offices outside the main locations (Monett, San Diego and/or Allen)"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for with great benefits

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are great as are the vacation days and PTO accrued. Great culture with people always willing to work together.

ConsYearly raises are not that great. Barely cost of living adjustments really.

Great company to work for and great people to work with! Such a positive career environment!

Social Media Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee)
Brentwood, TN (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsJHA has a great work/life balance, it allows you flexibility to work in various locations all over the United States, they offer great benefits and compensation, and the company is full of hard working employees who care about one another. Another inspiring aspect of JHA is the company story/history and the philosophy they've maintained all these years.

ConsNo cons thus far.

Great Learning Experience

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Benefits/salary/VERY CASUAL WORK ENVIRONMENT

ConsNeed to be able to hit the ground running and ability to be responsible for your own learning and training. Your co-workers availability is limited to being able to train you.

If you and your manager are outside of MO no problem. Otherwise stay away.

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people I work with on a day to day basis were great. Good person to person corporate culture. Managers (from other departments) and executives are easy to work with and very down to earth.

ConsThe biggest problem this international company has is the home office. Specifically if you work in a department where you live and work outside of Missouri and your manager doesn't, welcome to mediocre town. I work in a satellite office in another city and my manager is based at the home office in Monett, MO. In the several years I have been at the company I have been consistently complimented on my work ethic, told I was great at my job, and had great performance reviews. But when it comes time to promote anyone, time for raises, time for any kind of special privileges, like going out to lunch as a group (yes that is considered a special privilege) I go from valued assets to 'not a team player'. Just so you know I work for Corporate Operations on the technical side (Helpdesk, SA’s, NE’s, Program Analysts, Desktop Admins). Here is a fun fact, you know how a lot of companies will do something nice for everybody every once in a while? Like take everyone out to lunch. Buy everyone pizza. The little things that make you feel all your hard work is appreciated? Two years ago there was almost none of that in my department. A manager in another city had to produce a presentation citing studies on how spending $300 on taking 20 people out to lunch once every few months produced improved morale at minimal cost. That manager was later fired, for not being a team player. I'm just tired at this point. I'm tired of not being considered for promotions because I don't live in a podunk hick town in Missouri. I'm tired of being promised raises, meeting all the requirements I'm supposed to meet for one; i.e. high performance reviews, good customer service scores; and then being written up right before they are handed out for something that no one ever mentioned I need to improve before. I'm tired of being under a manager that I only talk to once every 4 months and only then because I make the appointment. And when he does talk to me it’s to ask me about why I did something that another manager told me to do and contacted him for permission. So I'm sending out resumes to every company I can find. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want to feel like my work matters, and if it’s not saving lives or ending hunger hopefully it's at least appreciated.

tl;dr
I'll give you a metaphor if my wall of text was too much. At one of our excruciating departmental meetings held only in either Monett or Springfield Missouri, our little keepsake or gift or whatever was a JHA branded umbrella. Yesterday it rained and I realized this umbrella is the perfect metaphor for working at this company. You see at a glance it seems great, like a useful thing that was given to us that they didn't have to. But in practice the umbrella is sized for a toddler, immediately flipped inside out, and I was still getting covered in icy rain. Why even give it to us? Why not spend an extra $2 per umbrella and get us something that was actually useful? So working for JHA in Corporate Operations is like holding that umbrella in the rain. It seems okay until you actually do it and then you have to work really hard to make it even functional, but then it doesn't really work out as promised and you end up with your butt covered in ice water.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be aware that for those of use who do not live in Monett there are other opportunities. If you want to overwork and underpay people who live around the home office, where the next biggest employers are a chicken plant and a window manufacturer, fine. Your prerogative, but I know you are already running into problems finding enough people to fill positions you desperately need filled because you desperately try to avoid hiring people who don't want to move to or already live in the middle of nowhere. So get with it.

Great company overall

San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFor a company that deals with financial institutions, it is very relaxed and has a good culture.
Good benefits
Good, competitive pay
Flexible
Numerous locations across the US

ConsLongevity of employment seems to reward people that aren't necessarily the best managers
Poor communication from top down in certain circumstances

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider rating management from employee point of view
More training of management team (at mid-management level
More open communication from bottom to top

Discouraging with limited growth

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility and ability to work remotely.
Pool of PTO keeps employees honest.

ConsMid level management is in their positions due to seniority, not performance or qualifications. Department of 20 does not agree with management style nor communications.

Jack Henry is an incredible place to gain experience and further one's career!

Jack Henry Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 10 years

ProsJack Henry & Associates offers workplace experience and job training that can transfer to other industries as well as offering terrific employment benefits.

ConsJack Henry & Associates is such a great place to work but there are some managers that have zero qualifications to be managers and therefore their departments aren't as successful as other areas. Example: There were several hirees that didn't last very long and it was obvious that the person shouldn't have been hired in the first place but the manager wasn't able to pick up on the red flags.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the 'Cons' section.

Very positive, Very good place to work with lots of opportunity to move up, and around in the company.

Network Technician (Current Employee)
Monett, MO (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

ProsLaidback
Great Benefits and Employer Discounts
You feel taken care of, your manager cares
I feel as though I will be promoted within a year
Payed for Employees to take ITIL Certification
Lots of payed vacation and holidays
Very much has it's own culture of everyone on team "Jack"

ConsIn more technical jobs the work/life balance is hard. Mostly because my department is very good, and very hard to make yourself standout with so many people of talent. But it motivated me to become better and I learn faster everyday and now it's a competition so to speak of who we all know are the best at their job.

There is also a little bit too much of departmental politics. Nothing overbearing if you do good in your job, but it shows if someone in management or higher up does not thing as highly of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTheir are at least a few positions that could be filled with more capable staff that would benefit the company much greater then adding new bodies that take a year to train, while keeping up with the under performers.

Benefits are great, salary is good, culture depends on the division.

Manager of Development (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 10 years

ProsJack Henry acquired my company for the Profitstars division a few years ago, and for the first few years there was no real change (other than upgraded benefits). Gradually, we've become more integrated with the corporate way of doing things, and that's been tough at times; it's a good thing, but a hard thing too. One of the biggest challenges about evaluating JHA is that many of the offices represent acquisitions; the culture in Monett, MO is different than Norcross, GA is different than Allen, TX.

Health benefits are great; PPO is the base, so you can get care pretty much anywhere you want. Salary is reasonable for the market you are in, and I'm a full time remote worker (which is a NICE perk). Stock is available for purchase at a discount. Makes it tough to leave the company.

ConsEvery group has a different way of doing things, and there's a lot of assumptions about processes. Usually not a problem, but if there's a big push to get intra-corporate project done, it doesn't go smoothly. The corporate training I've attended has been really bad at times, but there's a big push for continual improvement, so things do get better over time.

People stay with the company a long time, so it's tough to advance. I've worked with most of the same team for nearly 8 years, which is a long time in an IT company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really; just keep working on the One Company initiative.

A Great Place to Work

IT Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Brentwood, TN (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work/life balance. A lot of hard working people who care about each other. Employees know how to get their jobs done but also have fun in the process.

ConsNo real cons to speak of. Overall the Management has done an exceptional job of keeping everyone involved and in tune with everything that is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Keep lower level employees informed, involved and motivated.

Worked for Jack Henry & Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jack Henry & Associates reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Jack Henry & Associates CEO Jack Prim. All 104 reviews are posted anonymously by Jack Henry & Associates employees.