Jagex

Updated 16 February 2015
2.1

Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard
Mark Gerhard

Pros
  • The people are great, all interesting, capable and all care about the finished product (in 9 reviews)

• Oh and the benefits that we get, such as free fruit and gym membership (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • In the past senior management was ignorant of the competition and thus lacked vision (in 9 reviews)

• Generally very poor relations between upper management and development teams (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good to start with. But quickly went downhill.

Former Employee - Customer Support in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Can be fun at times

Cons

Poor management
    Long, stress filled hours

It's been a while since I left the company but never got around to writing my experiences. Jagex started off as a great place to work when I started in 2005. But it was possibly the worst by the time I left.

Now that I reflect back on it, most of this was down to poor leadership. The managers may be in leadership roles, but they are not leaders. They have no clue what they are doing, or the consequences of it.

Hopefully on the upswing

I have been working at Jagex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

. the staff
    . work environment
    . company perks & benefits
    . location
    . great jollies!
    . overtime compensation
    . canteen
    . free fruit (obviously)

Cons

. limited knowledge of development cycles. New projects gets stressed out and legacy issues never gets addressed
    . sometimes having to perform tasks in a way that might contradict your basic principles as a talented professional
    . easy to get comfortable and stop caring about future opportunities
    . sometimes promoting incorrect people that doesn't suit the role (leads should possess strong leadership skills)

. management is hopefully on the upswing. I won't comment the management during my time at Jagex since most of the operating senior management have all left and my advice would be irrelevant

Could be much better. Overall disappointed.

I worked at Jagex

Pros

Made some lifelong friends during my work experience. Excellent talented people are working at the company.

Cons

Ever-shifting deadlines are like walking on quicksand. Lots of focus on last minute changes, and exceptionally poor management.They never listen to the developers, the people who do all the hard work.

Better compensate for my living costs, great benefits and especially the on-site canteen and fruit, but I still need to pay rent everyday. Listen to the concerns of your employees. If only the management was reasonable.

Avoid! It will only damage your career!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Very talented development team.
    - Decent company perks (gym, bike repair, fruit)
    - Cambridge science park is a great location to work.

Cons

- High employee turn over.
    - No job security (constant redundancies)
    - Poor management.
    - Too much internal politics between executives.
    - Lack of vision and direction.
    - Lack of communication between executives and their employees, what little communication is often untruthful to protect the business not the employees.

- Listen to your development team, they are very talented.
    - Focus on making a fun game rather then only caring about monetisation.
    - Stop rushing features with unrealistic deadlines, properly design and consider each feature rather then just rushing it it based off a ever changing whim.
    - Start communicating with the team

Customer Support

Former Employee - Customer Support in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice staff
    Creative work area
    Fun people - The only reason why I could stand my job.

Cons

Management
    Focus on new content after old content is basically pointless
    Horrible customer support ran by Twitter led to some customers' information being compromised.

Listen to the customers more, I can't stress this enough.

This job lacked any form of a customer support ticketing system, which is essential in an mmo company to keep customer information safe and keep a speedy customer support line going.

During my experience at Jagex, nobody really honestly paid much attention to the customers' opinions and it really hurt the games image in the customers' eyes, this should be corrected before it is too late.

Please don't let such a long running company fall to shambles, and try your best to avoid influence through investors.

Good company run by boys masquerading as business executives

Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great perks - more vacation days, free gym membership, daily organic fruit, free bike repairs, childcare vouchers, monthly clothing, private health insurance.

Beautiful surroundings - the Cambridge Science Park is a lovely place to work at, with lots of greenery and walkways. You can easily go for a walk to make sure you are not sitting all day.

Competent people - very qualified for the job, passionate about the game they are working on.

Bonuses and celebrations - employees get bonuses when profits are good, there is a monthly "Beer Friday" to celebrate, and great jollies (company outings) are arranged every year.

Cons

Lack of direction from top management - either they are not communicating the strategy to the teams properly, or they have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Boys club/Fraternity mentality - highly political, if you don't suck up to the right people, you can't expect a promotion.

Lack of job security - management claims that layoffs are their last resort, but it seems like it's their first resort whenever they need to cut costs.

High turnover rate of talented people - I've witnessed a lot of talented people leave the company in under 1 year, only to find them flourishing in a different company. Jagex has the skill and capacity to hire talent, but absolutely horrid at retaining them.

Top management can't seem to keep it together - a number of departures at the C-levels have taken place, all in the span of 2 years. They've lost a VP, a COO, a CTO, and just recently, they're losing their CEO. Not a good sign.

"Talented people choose to leave organizations for a simple reason: Talent has options. They do not stay because they have to; they stay because they want to."

Let your managers do their jobs, that's what they are hired for. If they disagree with you, do not take it personally and listen. Remember that they're just there to do their jobs and be fulfilled with whatever they contribute.

Lastly, please grow up. This is your community's and investor's money you are messing around with. Jagex cannot sustain itself if it is being run by a bunch of boys masquerading as business executives.

stay for your friends, leave for the management

I have been working at Jagex full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with is the only reason to stay

Cons

Worst inconsistent management ever. At least MG listened to his own rhetoric when he told the TFU team "if your heart's not in it, leave …" one week later he left, closely followed by a some of the senior staff, then the CFO and finally over two-thirds of the TFU team in a mass lay-off.

Dont manage. Leave that to the people who actually play and love games, those that are not there to make a project "commercially viable", those who respect the gaming community enough to tell the truth. And don't shift full responsibility to the team to save the game when it's been failing from the start.

Oh, and have a plan from the start and don't keep adding layers of fluff to appease the board/hide the lack of a game from the players.

Squandered talent, micro managed and 100% financially driver decisions.

I have been working at Jagex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've made the strongest friendships of my life here.

Despite the low wage compared to similar employees in the UK, the perks are good.

Cons

Management never fail to force their flawed ideas through and will take advice against doing so as a personal insult.

It's hard to become passionate about our projects because we (the artists) have very strict guidelines and very little room left for improvisation, everything at Jagex is about siphoning as much money from players as possible with colorful, depth-less updates and features.

As management tell us how to make content look, it's never up to the artists - that's why Jagex is famous for updating RuneScape's graphics and somehow making it look worse at the same time.

There is very little passion left in the average employee, it's no longer about making the game enjoyable, just a small amount of content spread over a large amount of game.

RuneScape has gone from a game that promised to never implement micro transactions to one of the worst offenders in the industry. Senior management constantly lie to staff as well as players and customer service is deliberately slow for accounts flagged with specific offenses.

Senior Management are very controlling toward how players experience the game and look at emergent game play as a distraction that needs to be stopped. A college of mine sat in on a meeting discussing how to put an end to specific character builds such as "pures" and limit their functionality as "they weren't experiencing the game as intended and were missing content".

Jagex is like a parent telling its child exactly how to play with its teddy bear.

When you hire someone to do something, let them do it, don't give input on something you know nothing about.

Pay less attention to what you friends think and more attention to new developers who have had prior success in the industry.

Great people, but terrible management

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with some great people and generally enjoyed my time there. There were lots of jollies and parties, which were often quite impressive.

Cons

I saw a lot of wasted talent while management would promote their own friends regardless of talent or merit. When experienced people joined the company and challenged the way things were done, they were quickly forced out or marginalised to avoid them upsetting the power balance.

Learn to manage the company by utilising and empowering the talent of the people below you, instead of trying to micromanage things you have no knowledge of.
    I often felt the company would be better off being honest to their employees when something bad had to be announced. Instead everything was twisted to make it sound positive, even when it was obviously not.

Jagex Photos

140 Cambridge Science Park (Photo thanks to Geograph user Keith Edkins, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo