Jenny Craig

Updated 28 January 2015
Updated 28 January 2015
2.3

Monty Sharma

Pros
  • Helping people to reach their goals is a wonderful experience (in 45 reviews)

• All employees receive a good opportunity to lose weight on the Jenny Craig program (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Training is poorly thought out and the upper management doesn't really seem to care (in 27 reviews)

• Our center director doesn't really motivate us just wants to be our friend more (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Working in my centre is wonderful, but working under the corporate management is a nightmare.

Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love getting to know the clients, and celebrating their successes with them. My coworkers are also some of the most amazing people I've ever had the opportunity to work with. My job is pretty much to facilitate everyone else's jobs, which I like because it means I get to help people help people! What can be better than that?

Cons

Every time I hear something from corporate, or from an operations manager, or from any other manager, it always gives me a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. Emails from higher-ups are insulting, either because they are actually flat-out insulting everyone in the centre, or because they are assuming that everyone in the centre is braindead. All of the actually important information in any corporate communication gets drowned out by pages and pages of noninformation, to the point where my coworkers actually started asking me to write single-page breakdowns that we started calling "cheat sheets". I also had to keep an updated list of all of the new and ongoing promotions, along with their associated product and discount codes, because we were only ever given the codes for each promotion as they came up; there was no single reference for all of the current codes. Our centre's director has been largely absent ever since she took on the title; I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I have seen her in the centre. While this means that our centre is often completely out of such trivialities as sellable products, printer ink, and toilet paper, her presence only creates a more stressful work environment. She is constantly telling me that my job is unnecessary, and if I ask her for any information, her answer is that it's "none of my concern". She's worse on the phone, though: one time I had to call her to ask her what to do about a $300 discrepancy in inventory, and she yelled at me over the phone, asking me how I dared to call her on what I hadn't known was her day off; I was literally in tears by the time she hung up on me. Our previous centre directors weren't much better, causing my coworkers to wonder why Jenny Craig seems to only promote the power-hungry. The pay structure has recently changed for the worse, too: when I was hired more than a year ago, I was told that I would start at $10/hour, and would have a pay evaluation once a year. My one-year anniversary came right after the pay structure changed in a way that eliminated pay evaluations, as well as pay raises for Customer Service Coordinators. (Well, it *might* have. When I asked my centre director if I was getting a pay raise after working there for a year, she said she didn't know if CSC's got pay raises anymore, so she wasn't going to give me one.) Quota bonuses have also gone down significantly: the only way to get a quota bonus equal to the previous one is to exceed quota by more than 125%; every other bonus is up to almost 30% less than it used to be. (Yes, I did the math.) When the centre director decided to cut my hours back to 1/3 of what they were, I was given less than 12 hours notice of the change before it went into effect; when she laid me off the very next week, I was given less than a week's notice. When I asked if I could stay employed if I trained as a consultant, since one of our consultants is retiring at the end of the month, the centre director said that she was trying to preserve the other consultants' jobs, first, so she was going to ask a consultant from another centre to replace the one retiring at ours. I guess she couldn't help telling me I was worthless to her, just one last time.

APPRECIATE YOUR EMPLOYEES. Seriously, I could have happily worked through anything you threw at me, if you just gave me one tiny reason to think that the effort was appreciated. My coworkers were great about supporting each other, but not once was there ever a hint of anything similar from those higher up. In fact, it was whenever we heard from management that we often needed to support each other the most. So yeah, appreciate your employees, at least enough to trust them when they tell you that the centre is almost out of toilet paper.

Micromanaged, horrible scheduling practices, expendable sales staff

Current Employee - Program Director in Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Program Director in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Help people try to lose weight.
    Pay for mileage for my position

Cons

Not enough pay for the work expectations.
    Not much room for advancement.
    Non-managerial staff was treated as if they had no life outside of JC.

Don't complain right along with the staff.

Employee for 10 yrs in New Jersey market

Current Employee - JCC
    Current Employee - JCC

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helping clients get to an maintain there goal weight. Some times being a therapist to my clients as well as a friend.

Cons

Very underpaid, not getting reconnized for the hard work an dedication that you gave to the company. With the new compensation plan I will be making $7,000 less then the previous year an about $20,000 less from 4 yrs ago. An now after 10 yrs you can no longer get a raise. The worst thing is I will be making the same compensation as some consultants who didn't have clients . As well as some centers who should have closed down already.

Pay the Jcc's individually by there hard work and dedication and there clientele . Because not every employee made money for the company. Some were just skating by for a paycheck

Company doesn't care much for its employees

Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in South Florida, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in South Florida, FL (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, except when understaffed and you can't take time off.

Cons

Terrible pay. Constant restructuring. Short staffed

Those of us that work in the centers love what we do and believe in what we do. You need to take a good look at your area market directors, etc...they do not care about anything but the numbers.

great

Current Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good money and nice people.

Cons

too many lazy ppl in the department.

I work with the best co-workers imaginable. Rewarding helping people lose weight and make positive lifestyle changes!

Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time

Pros

One on one interactions with clients, while seeing their progress and success makes it very worthwhile for me to come to work everyday. I have developed wonderful relationships with many of my clients that I truly care about. I feel that I, in conjunction with the Jenny Craig program, have made a significant impact on the lives of many of my clients . The people I work with have become my friends....we enjoy working together, and spending time together outside of work. The Jenny Craig plan does work!

Cons

I have been cautiously optimistic in awaiting the new compensation package for consultants. I am intelligent enough to understand that the new management was not going to just increase our wages to what we are entitled to, and what would then be a livable salary. However.....I am stunned at my new salary. Over the last several years, I have made less money each year, due to the downward spiral of Jenny Craig. With my new salary, my base is $15,000 less than what I made a few years ago. Based on our new quota bonus plan, it seems extremely unlikely, actually impossible, that I could even make what I made last year, let alone what I made the previous years. So, those of us who actually did pretty well with the commission structure, like myself, will be significantly hurt financially with this new plan. The company should be prepared to lose many wonderful, long-term, dedicated employees.

Re-think this compensation plan. Will the quota bonuses really be attainable In my center, we need to hit 120%,or thereabouts, of quota every month for most of us to make what we used to make. Expect a mass exodus of great employees if changes are not made quickly. The salaries for consultants are just not livable.

Very fun people to work with except some of the stuck up ones.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Always something to do. You are pretty much guaranteed 40 hours a week. Fun driving forklifts.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. You are stuck in one spot. If you are not a favorite you will feel it.

rewarding

Former Employee - Centre Director
    Former Employee - Centre Director

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get to meet new people and help them change their lives. The hours are great.

Cons

Most are doing the job of 2-3 people. The company is consistently changing for the better but sometimes it's too much change at once.

change the way of leads coming in...
    There should be a way for Directors to communicate with one another to feed off ideas and keep the motivation going.
    Have Consultants team up with another team member from another state. They can at then bring ideas to one other keep each other motivated.
    There is a lot that can be done that hasn't been done that is really simple.

No support from local leaders

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the people. The employees and the members were great.

Cons

There is no support from management. Pay changes mean lower pay and less hours. They expect employees to work open to close 6-7 days a week and be grateful when sent home on 3 hour breaks.

Rethink the local management structure. Evaluate not only employees but allow employees to evaluate their managers to let corporate know where things need to change instead of allowing managers to pull the wool over corporates eyes when they walk in.

Too many good people stuck in a bad situation

Current Employee - IT Department in Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Department in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are genuinely good people working at Jenny - they are the reason I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Bad pay, long hours, no room for growth, gross mismanagement.

Lighten up, let people have a little fun.

Jenny Craig Photos