Johns Hopkins University

Updated 21 August 2014

4.0

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels
Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Bad neighborhood for the medical campus (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

syntel

Pros

1) At times we have to stretch beyond the official time to complete the task meant for the day.
    2) I learned to be more pro-active, careful, keen and more cautious.
    3) Management of the company were quite helpful and readily available when in need.
    4) My co-workers were indeed a good & jolly type of people.

Cons

hourly deadlines of client in process,long hours,no transparency) No support from Vertical Heads (PM/DM/DD/VP) etc --- When something goes wrong then they just put blame on Developers & PL ... If everything goes good then they are ready to take the credit..2) Most of the projects are filled with Graduate Trainees

De r providing ok transport facility now. no complaints. needs improvement thou. can do better if match other software cos in the area. good salary is expected. good canteen facility with good healthy snacks an meals. fair chance to go onsite and appraising the work.
    De r providing ok trans ...

Best Job Thus Far

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Savannah, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Savannah, GA (US)

Pros

I am currently a MPH student and the research team I work with has made this a wonderful experience for me. I started the job with very little applied experience with research, all I had was what I learned in school. The research coordinator took a chance and gave me the position over a PhD applicant. Great work life balance and being that I am still in school that is very important.

Cons

Pay is great for a college student but for a professional with a family and real bills that could be a challenge.

Excellent

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros

Good name, great experience, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Lab existence depends from a grant support!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for research

Current Employee - PhD Student  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros

Diversity of labs all with top notch professors. Lots of great seminars

Cons

Lack of focus on basic science. The institution as a whole prides itself on its medical training and hospital, but places little emphasis on research.

Better career services, bring in people with a larger breadth of expertise.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Student Worker  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros

It is the best place to work for student workers and learn about the real world. Fantastic Boss and Mentors available pretty much 24/7. Well structured organization and leaders understand the vision and know how to share with the team. Great place to work and learn about the education business.

Cons

Securities are not part of JHU so they do behave somewhat too authoritative and disrespectful to staffs and students.

more involvement with student workers

constant learning...loved it

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros

security is very good
    and u get a platform where you have a constant learning

Cons

weather conditions are bit difficult to work in.

Great job, low pay

Pros

JHU is an amazing place to work- brilliant co-workers, cutting edge research, excellent benefits, steady 40 hours a week with no expected over time. I gained a range of qualitative and quantitative research experience that was invaluable, and the research studies that I worked on were literally one of a kind. I was never bored.

Cons

There is little career mentoring, opportunity for advancement, or pay raises. In fact, I worked in two different positions (this being the second one) and in this position I never received a raise or bonus. The pay is already far below market value for the graduate level position, which is the reason that most research assistants and coordinators leave after 1 or 2 years. Co-authorship is out of the question for research staff (even if they do literally all of the work on the project and are capable of contributing to a peer-reviewed journal article).

Interact with your research coordinators more often. Mentor them. Most of us are there because we want to eventually fill your shoes. If you want to keep employees longer, especially the graduate level employees, then pay more. This was a barely livable wage, and actually insulting for the level of education and experience required for the job. Expecting people who want the job because they are passionate about the work to settle for less pay is...sad.

It's a good place to work.

Pros

This is a very professional, academic environment.

Cons

Sometimes we have to work long hours

Supply more resources to distribute work flow

Innovative Place

Current Employee - Preventive Medicine Resident  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Preventive Medicine Resident in Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros

Johns Hopkins is an innovative place with great resources especially for research

Cons

I am in the Preventive Medicine Department, and there is very poor support for Preventive Medicine unfortunately. Funding was cut to our department. The salary for Preventive Medicine Residency is very low.

Our immediate management is wonderful with Barbara and Dottie helping us become adjusted to working at Hopkins

Great place to work

Pros

Good benefits, nice career path, nice place to work.

Cons

unmotivated people, slow to get things done

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!