Joie de Vivre

Be The First To
Add Photos

Niki Leondakis

Focused on Expansion, Not Necessarily the Current Situation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGood company values (at least in theory), nice office space, nice co-workers (for the most part), good work/life balance, decent benefits, exciting company growth plans

ConsToo focused on opening the next hotel instead of what is currently actually going on, still scrambling to recover from turnover and instability following Thompson merger, disorganization, lack of training program and formal on-boarding process, department management not supportive and seem to be more focused on covering themselves, cliques

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on organizing the company and supporting employees instead of what is next

Hotel Erwin

Server (Former Employee) Venice, CA (US)

ProsYou get a different perspective of how good it feels to go above and beyond for guest experience. Teh Dreammaker program challenged you to turn the tables and get to know the guest and how to interactive with them.

ConsIn smaller staffs lack of flexibility.

It's Bigger Than Hospitality

ProsThere is a passionate group of people that work very hard to make a difference in the industry. They are humble and caring. The company is growing, which means lots of career opportunities and growth. You can make an impact, be creative and have fun! There is open discussion and the CEO (Niki) and leadership team are very approachable and willing to listen.

ConsGrowing quickly, so it can be challenging for the processes and internal procedures to keep up with that growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Try to continue to expand the benefits packages. Don't grow too fast. Protect the unique culture that you have been building for the past year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Company

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFluid work schedule. Easy work environment. Great co-workers.

ConsNot an international business which is fine if you want to stay in country.

Overall a good experience in my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-If you are hardworking, there is opportunity for advancement.
    -Despite the issues I had with certain people there, my department manager is one of the best managers I've ever had. Received training I will use for the rest of my hospitality career
    -Stayed at many great properties in the company, free!
    -Made many friends and contacts. Referral bonus for getting friends hired

ConsPolitics.
    Too many changes. After the merger with Thompson and Commune, it didn't feel like a small company or a big corporation, it was like an identity crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire supervisors who say "I shouldn't have to praise people just for doing their job".

Not the company it use to be, and that's not a good thing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome really good people in place at the mid level management level.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement. A lot of talk of the company growing, but they have lost more hotels from their collection than they have added over the past 2 years. New CEO doesn't walk the talk. The Senior Leadership team she has assembled from her Kimpton days are all talk and little to no action. Overall poor communication from Sr. Leadership. the company culture is worse than ever. Unfortunately, when Chip left, so did Joie de Vivre.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some top quality talent that doesn't have a Kimpton pedigree.

Doesn't live up to the hype

Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsA couple free nights at a JDV hotel each quarter

Cons- Dysfunctional management
    - Lack of integrity
    - Low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Be honest with them. Pay them appropriately so they don't flee to other companies. Give them genuine career opportunities. Offer decent benefits. JDV doesn't compare to other local companies. There's quite a bit of lip service to old JDV programs and services, the reality is a disappointment.

Growing company, new CEO making big changes

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGrowing company with the merger of Commune hotels. Opportunity for growth is expanding rapidly.

ConsCorporate office is going through so many changes which trickles down lack of communication to the hotels. We are not getting answers on a lot of the direction the company is heading, bonus plans changing consistently with lack of communication to external sales departments at the hotels.

Overall I would say Joie de Vivre was a pretty good company to work for.

Bartender (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsI would say the best part about working for JDV were the people that work there. The hotel I was working at got purchased by JDV and they came in and made a lot of changes. All in all the changes they made to the hotel were okay. They made some renovations to the F&B outlets of the hotel and brought in a new chef ect.

ConsWhile I was working at JDV there was a lot of change going on in upper management which led to an atmosphere of uncertainty amongst employees. With all of the renovations I would have expected to see in increase in business but that was not the case. I feel like JDV could have done a better job marketing and advertising to bring in business.

A perfect example of what might have been.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGreat opportunities to move up.
    Great front office leadership across properties.
    Training available to develop a career

ConsLack of Vision. Used to be a fun environment but has lost its glamour when founder stepped aside. HR department that is only interested in advancement not the employees needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a company grows doesn't mean it should become corporate. Make sure your employees are taken care of

Worked for Joie de Vivre? Contribute to the Community!