Jones Lang LaSalle

Updated 24 October 2014
3.5

Jones Lang LaSalle President, CEO, and Director Colin Dyer
Colin Dyer

Pros
  • Company tends to be cognizant of employees' needs for work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great work environment in which a strong work ethic was highly valued (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it is difficult to get that work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Mid level managers not always valued for fear of upper management having to compete internally (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a great experience.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many real estate offices operate in silos, but this is an amazing office culture with hard-working people who are very friendly and team-oriented. It is a collaborative environment in which they treat everyone well, and I got to know each person individually and have nothing but the best to say about them. I am a huge family-oriented person, and this is a very family-based atmosphere.

Cons

It is a competitive work environment, and it can occasionally be too demanding, although that is true of any job regardless of the company. I do not have too many bad things to say about the people or the environment.

N/A

Good company to work for but your experience will vary depending on your business unit, client, and management.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, great opportunities and a global reach. My department allows work-at-home and some flex time. In that sense, work-life is excellent (but hours are long.)

Cons

People management often comes up as a weakness here although I think it's improving. My own manager is good but I think that it's inconsistent. Pay seems to be a bit below market. Benefits are decent.

Growing company, but very political

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great people
    - International working opportunities
    - Great benefits (pay for phone, HSA and overall good medical/dental/etc.)
    - During my time there, which was under two years, I saw two co-workers get promoted

Cons

- If you are not producing revenue for the company, the company does not make as much of an investment in you
    - Additionally if you do not support a revenue-producing team, there are less perks
    - High turnover amongst brokers

- Consider a rotational program for young talent to learn other aspects of commercial real estate
    - Invest more time in working on retention

Great people

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle as a contractor

Pros

Good people to work with, opportunity to grow

Cons

Lack of communication in management

Suck

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Ko Long (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Ko Long (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom in work time; can work from home

Cons

No support, company culture suck.

No long term stability in this division.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a steady pay check in a weak economy. There were opportunities to upgrade computer and management skills on a frequent basis. I did get to work with some very good people. I did learned a lot from a few of them. Most of best left before I did.

Cons

There is no life/work balance. Some managers in our group were down right over bearing. Getting any of your PTO was a challenge. "Use it or Lose it" policy was a rip off at the end of each year. As a single parent, it was difficult to work here.

Consider your workers' home lives more.

Avoid

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Agent in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Agent in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO is decent, that's about it.

Cons

Culture of intimidation-HR is a nightmare, difficult to advance, low pay with high performance expectations. Everybody is worried they're next on the chopping block to be fired. Write-ups occur after any and all call offs/early dismissals even if you provide a doctor's note and/or have accrued PTO. Office culture is more like high school, the gossip mill is relentless. Extremely high turnover due to people quitting and/or getting fired. Benefits are a joke unless you make enough to afford the better packages.

Consider paying your full time employees as much or more than the temps they're forced to train every 6-8 weeks, advance people who have been there for years in the same position when they deserve it, knock it off with the double standards (scolding underlings for using office communications while spending the entire day IMing a significant other). On that note, it's bad form to involve yourself on a personal (romantic) level with other people in the office.

JLL Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities, company has very aggressive growth plans. Firm is very serious about ethics and responds exceedingly well to ethical issues.

Cons

Work life balance can be miserable. Health benefits are not the best. Company often penny wise but pound foolish. Technology platforms very dated and fragmented.

With such aggressive growth plans, there has never been a more important time in JLLs history to focus on People.

Being profit-driven over-shadowed diminishing Client/Contractor job relations.

Former Employee - Lease Administrator in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Lease Administrator in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

JLL has an exceptional benefits package.

Cons

Making a salary of only $50,000/yr, my challenge was not receiving a raise within a 2-year period while producing cost savings over $1 Million. While saving the Client in costs, in addition, my monetary recoveries totaled more than $250,000 over this period as well.

Talent recognition and upward mobility for minorities.

Becoming a less enjoyable place to work - Leadership is slipping

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a large recognized and respected brand. In general there are opportunities to move to different positions over time and to learn about many areas of corporate real estate.

Cons

Benefits are not quite at pace with competitors. Pay for performance model keeps salaries on the low side with a promise of bonus compensation for strong performance - a promise that is delivered against with limited success. Very hard working culture with strong emphasis on sales. Delivery of client solutions often falls short of what the sales team sold - and after the sales team seals the deal with a client, you'll never see them again.

The corporate culture is not as good as it was 6 - 8 years ago. Lower level employees experience a culture of fear where it is commonly believed that anyone can be fired for making a mistake. If a client asks you to be replaced on an account, you will be fired. My advice is to try to return to a position that is les threatening, and that provides inspirational leadership that lifts employees up and motivates them to do their best work.

Jones Lang LaSalle Photos