Jones Lang LaSalle

Updated 22 October 2014
3.5

Jones Lang LaSalle President, CEO, and Director Colin Dyer
Colin Dyer

Pros
  • Company tends to be cognizant of employees' needs for work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great work environment in which a strong work ethic was highly valued (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it is difficult to get that work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Mid level managers not always valued for fear of upper management having to compete internally (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for but your experience will vary depending on your business unit, client, and management.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, great opportunities and a global reach. My department allows work-at-home and some flex time. In that sense, work-life is excellent (but hours are long.)

Cons

People management often comes up as a weakness here although I think it's improving. My own manager is good but I think that it's inconsistent. Pay seems to be a bit below market. Benefits are decent.

Growing company, but very political

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great people
    - International working opportunities
    - Great benefits (pay for phone, HSA and overall good medical/dental/etc.)
    - During my time there, which was under two years, I saw two co-workers get promoted

Cons

- If you are not producing revenue for the company, the company does not make as much of an investment in you
    - Additionally if you do not support a revenue-producing team, there are less perks
    - High turnover amongst brokers

- Consider a rotational program for young talent to learn other aspects of commercial real estate
    - Invest more time in working on retention

Very Satisfied employee

Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment is very amicable. Compensation is fair and bonuses are based on work performance and not favoritism which can be the driving factor for unhappy employees in some places.

Cons

None that I am aware of other there are not a lot of opportunities for advancement

Great people

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle as a contractor

Pros

Good people to work with, opportunity to grow

Cons

Lack of communication in management

Professional Experience

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

JLL is a solid, balanced and stable company, which leaves plenty of room for growth.They also provide multiple opportunities to learn and develop within the company as well.

Cons

Since it's so large, it may be easy to simply refill a role should the needs not be met, but hardly considered a negative or unreasonable.

A good company but not enough space to advance into better positions

Former Employee - Mobile Engineer in Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Mobile Engineer in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company vehicle loaded with good field tools and equipment, Good managers that seem to actually care about you, Good starting salaries and benefits.

Cons

No place to move up into a better position - very limited advancement opportunities, all meetings done through computer and not enough " in person" time with immediate manager, small raises for technicians but good raises for upper management, who sometimes do not know how to work with the field techs.

Expand your time out in the field to meet with Mobile techs; Allow greater feedback from field techs about technical aspects of clients needs and then actually apply the information in the corporate level as well. Give "earned raises" not "just everyone gets something across the board" raises.

Suck

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Ko Long (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Ko Long (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom in work time; can work from home

Cons

No support, company culture suck.

No long term stability in this division.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a steady pay check in a weak economy. There were opportunities to upgrade computer and management skills on a frequent basis. I did get to work with some very good people. I did learned a lot from a few of them. Most of best left before I did.

Cons

There is no life/work balance. Some managers in our group were down right over bearing. Getting any of your PTO was a challenge. "Use it or Lose it" policy was a rip off at the end of each year. As a single parent, it was difficult to work here.

Consider your workers' home lives more.

Avoid

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Agent in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Agent in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO is decent, that's about it.

Cons

Culture of intimidation-HR is a nightmare, difficult to advance, low pay with high performance expectations. Everybody is worried they're next on the chopping block to be fired. Write-ups occur after any and all call offs/early dismissals even if you provide a doctor's note and/or have accrued PTO. Office culture is more like high school, the gossip mill is relentless. Extremely high turnover due to people quitting and/or getting fired. Benefits are a joke unless you make enough to afford the better packages.

Consider paying your full time employees as much or more than the temps they're forced to train every 6-8 weeks, advance people who have been there for years in the same position when they deserve it, knock it off with the double standards (scolding underlings for using office communications while spending the entire day IMing a significant other). On that note, it's bad form to involve yourself on a personal (romantic) level with other people in the office.

JLL Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Jones Lang LaSalle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities, company has very aggressive growth plans. Firm is very serious about ethics and responds exceedingly well to ethical issues.

Cons

Work life balance can be miserable. Health benefits are not the best. Company often penny wise but pound foolish. Technology platforms very dated and fragmented.

With such aggressive growth plans, there has never been a more important time in JLLs history to focus on People.

Jones Lang LaSalle Photos