Just Energy
www.justenergy.com Mississauga, Canada 500 to 999 Employees

Just Energy Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Just Energy – Ottawa – “275 slater street”

Just Energy President & CEO Kenneth Hartwick

Kenneth Hartwick

Pros:
  • "Very relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure"
    in 5 reviews
  • "This is definitely an opportunity to grow beyond being a slave to the 9-5 humdrum"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "They don't tell you it a door to door job until you are just about to enter training"
    in 6 reviews
  • "long hours, poor organizational structure"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company with many opportunities to grow!!

Operations Specialist (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMany opportunities for personal growth.

ConsCompany use to offer more perks.

OK company, if NG/electricity prices are good

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Just Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros- Lots of money to be made
- Good hours

Cons- Might have to sell overpriced contracts
- Bad reception at doors

Positive

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible Work Hours, informal environment

ConsLess salary and no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnaround plan needed

Alright

Independent (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Just Energy as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe fact that you did get to travel and see different parts of the state.

Conscomission base no hourly or salary pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least offer a base salary for your employees

Interesting

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Worcester, MA (US)

I worked at Just Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly people, lots of exercise. Management pays for lunch for new guys, which is kind of them.

ConsDoor-to-door sales in dangerous areas. 100% Commission-based pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed base pay. Too many factors before earning a commissioned sale for some people to live off of.

If your over 21 and have bills to pay stay away from this job at all costs

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA (US)

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent sales experience directly with customers at their homes and businesses. You start at 10 am in the regional office, in a meeting, go out to lunch then come home at 8 or 9 pm. You have flexibility to pick your days off but if you don't reach your sale goal your likely gonna work on sunday to pick it up. It's a friendly enviroment, you can wear pants and a shirt. They inquire within, all managers started as a door to door sales associate. By knocking on doors doing cold sales you meet all different people and that can be good , bad and sometimes dangerous. Goiod job for someone who has no bills and lives with family or roomates, terrible if you have a mortgage, car loan and other bills..

Cons100% commission only, no base or hourly pay. It doesn't matter if your type writer and make 50 sales a week. Several factors for disapproved customers such as credit and late payments. You don't get any commission for your disapproved sales or if they cancel. Most sale associates are young and immature, most don't have bills, cellphone plans or cars. Time management is bad here, they waste too much time finding territory or trying to find people that don't show up for work. Just Energy doesn't have their own vehicles, crew leaders ususally borrow a van from the regional manager. Normally 2 or 3 vans out in the field with 7or 8 people squeezed into 1. If you work in a city far away sometimes you get home by midnight.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire quality sale people, not just someone that can write and speak.
Give employees hourly wage and commission for disapproved sales. We work 60-90 hours a week and don't make enough to pay our bills. We deserve to be compensated as we are the heart of the company. Buy fleet vehicles, no one should have to buy their own van or uniforms! It's not all about sale numbers if sales Associates doesn't earn a living. Treat all of us fairly and respect us more. Offering travel incentives doesn't help when your 2 months behind rent cause you had a bad week yet worked 7 days a week and tried.I'm speaking on behalf of the Worcester MA regional office. Bad turnover rate before the 1st week paycheck. But we get our sale numbers up every week. Your welcome.

Incredible opportunities. Not fully integrated. Lots of broken process but becoming focussed to fix it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Just Energy

ProsGood growth opportunities for people of all levels. You can be well rewarded (most aren't it seems). Constant change, so good to develop skills. People are amazing and some really great teams. Some very good leaders. Passion of people to do great is there and that makes it easier to work hard but many agendas. Grew fast and now adopting to work as a larger company. Lots of fixing opportunities.

ConsYou have to work very long hours due to lack of resources. No defined or aligned strategy apparent which makes resourcing constrained. Business leaders not fully aligned. Constant change and very reactive and near impossible to focus on strategic matters. Lots of fire fighting but good (very slow) change taking place to fix that. Pay is middle of road and lots of turn over of great people makes it tough to stay afloat. Lack of visible or defined career options.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you reward people well at all levels. You have some really great leaders and managers in many areas but you need to provide resources and support to fix the issues. Have patience to enable people to get where the company needs to get there and be supportive. Align your people with a clear strategy. Stop doing seemingly meaningless work.

A little disappointed.

Independent Contractor (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Just Energy as a contractor for less than a year

ProsTheir ideology of the green company that leaves a smaller carbon footprint on the earth is progressive.

ConsTheir path of least resistance hiring, training and releasing practices could stand to be reevaluated. People have been let go from here in the middle of training, due to uncertified, erroneous and irresponsible background check reports, done by mom and pop generic internet background check companies they choose to use, costing potential employees and independent contractors valuable time which could have been used gaining credible and reliable employment elsewhere, in addition to money and peace of mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold on to good people by using Certified BCI and FBI checks. The dime a dozen internet background check companies use basic sources that anyone could use and access. These sources typically only do basic searches on first and last name and maybe a birth year, and anyone who has that info in common will be tossed all together with everyone good or bad, as one person. Use Certified Federal BCI checks. Using anything else is just lazy, reckless and irresponsible which reflects poorly towards your company.

High potential for the right kind of people

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Just Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's really a skill-based job. If you can sell, you will make a lot of money. My first 3 months were pretty sad in terms of income (but enough to get by and then some), but later on the sales went up and it adds up very quickly. You have to know who to target your sales pitch to and you will need practice. If you are a born salesman, you will excel. I loved this job until I had to move (or else I won't have left it).

Watch Glengarry Glen Ross, the same kind of sales environment and techniques apply.

ConsThe opposite of what I described in PROs section; if you are bad or below average on your speaking abilities and your ability to convince people, you won't get paid much at all.

Commission based sales position is very hit/miss; you either get rich easier or you have to get a new career after 3-4 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe provide a decent fixed income to new employees as incentive to stay? I thought about quitting in my first 3 months simply because I needed experience and the commission income was too low for beginners.

Lots of opportunity but questionable integrity.

Manager (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Just Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLoved the people I worked with

ConsLeadership has no expressed vision, values or goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a compelling future and move to a more respectable marketing model, away from pressure sales.

Worked for Just Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Just Energy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Just Energy CEO Kenneth Hartwick. All 59 reviews are posted anonymously by Just Energy employees.