Just Energy

www.justenergy.com

Just Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

James Lewis and Deborah Merril

Pros
  • Very relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure(in 5 reviews)

• This is definitely an opportunity to grow beyond being a slave to the 9-5 humdrum(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They never mentioned on their ad that it was a door-to-door sales job, but that is what it is(in 7 reviews)

• long hours, poor organizational structure(in 8 reviews)

Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company. You can make alot of money if you are a true innovative sales person

ConsCommissioned based salary only can be difficult. Walking up and down knocking on doors will make you feel worthless

Its fun laid back but commission sucks

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsRelaxed people
    Bonus
    Trips
    Start late in the day

ConsJJ week (mandatory 7 days )
    All commission from $10-$150 but average is $40 per enrollment
    Have to wait 3 weeks when you start to get paid

Advice to Senior ManagementPay hourly with added commission

Unless you are desperate, don't work here!

Outbound Sales/Cold Calling (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsIt's a job. And they'll hire ANYBODY.

ConsI can't speak to their benefits and such, because I was from a staffing agency. Then again, more than half of the hourly wage staff at this location is from a staffing agency... That way they don't have to treat you with any kind of respect, or value your contributions. If you leave, they simply call the staffing agency and order a replacement, as easy as ordering a pizza.
    The atmosphere and hours are draconian. They will tell you one schedule when they hire you, but at the drop of a hat, suddenly you're working on a Saturday when you were previously told no weekends... or suddenly you're told that as of tomorrow, you're on a shift several hours later. The few people I saw object to (or simply unable to comply with) these changes - even if it was because they were single parents and needed more notice to arrange child care - were simply let go and replaced.
    They are selling a crappy overpriced product, and wanted us to say whatever we needed to say to get people to switch to them, even if it meant lying... we were trained to fast-talk the customers with lots of mental gymnastics and fuzzy math, to mislead them into thinking that they would save money (when they wouldn't!). Even if you DO complete a sale, you don't get your commission until they have cleared the credit check... and if the customer realizes their mistake and switches back after the first bill, Just Energy TAKES THE COMMISSION BACK out of your paycheck.
    And when you aren't meeting your sales goals (and you won't), they DON'T LISTEN when you try to tell them how "dirty" your call list is (full of disconnected numbers, people on the DNC list, people at poverty-level income who won't pass the credit check), or how short. And once you've exhausted your contact list with 3+ calls to every number on it, instead of giving you a fresh one, they insist you keep harassing the same people and wave gift cards at you as an incentive to meet the quotas that keep going up, despite not ever being met BY ANYONE.
    Discouraging, monotonous, mind-numbing and soul-killing work, for endless hours, and very little compensation. If you value your sanity or self-respect, STAY AWAY.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Operations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsVery Laid back environment, young and fun

Consmanagement is only concerned with sales, as long as quotas are met on volume of signups then the sales team gets rewarded even if they are selling products way under value and therefore unprofitably.

Advice to Senior Managementfully study full value chain of your company sales are great but costs, inefficiencies,and serious lack of technology hinder any kind of growth

Just Energy is a company that is Just Embellished

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnone really as I was just interviewed there and not even wanting to hear back from them.

ConsI was interviewed there. The most unprofessional interview I have had where the interviewer did not even shake my hand upon meeting me. Her attire was casual. Too loud atmosphere. Position that I applied for was not what they had advertised. They never mentioned on their ad that it was a door-to-door sales job, but that is what it is. Unless you live right next to their location, do no apply. They made it seem like I was the ideal candidate and since they were time contained, wanted me to meet them the next day as their last-minute interviewee, I go in to find other candidates like myself. If a company is not honest from the get-go, how do you expect honesty down the road.

Politics”

ProsGreat discount. Friendly people. Trying to do the right things for customers and staff.

ConsThe store manager (former) based decisions on instinct and emotion only. Made life difficult and ultimately a dissatisfying experience.

Company with weak opportunities

Pros- Easy to get in
    - No real education required

Cons- Weak training
    - No client base, you have to build it on your own while the competition is high and product is not that great
    - Commissions based salary

Limited Growth

Sales Agent (Former Employee) North York, ON (Canada)

ProsBonus structure is very good.

ConsLong hours, somewhat dishonest approach to customers from colleagues.

FA

ProsDiversity of tasks, interesting business challenges

ConsReputational capital for company doesn't exist

OK company, if NG/electricity prices are good

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros- Lots of money to be made
    - Good hours

Cons- Might have to sell overpriced contracts
    - Bad reception at doors

Worked for Just Energy? Contribute to the Community!