Kangaroo Express

Updated 27 September 2014
2.2

Dennis G. Hatchell

I have been working at Kangaroo Express

Pros

You meet a lot of people and the work is easy. All work is straight to the point and very easy.

Cons

Many pockets of people always complaining. Drunk customers might be a minus on third shift.

Great experience and working environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austinville, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austinville, VA (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Your regular customers make you feel at home, like having another family.

Cons

Opportunity to advance was put on a freeze. The GM was not a very good one, never took accountability for anything

Make your employees feel like they are important and the work that they do.

Not great but not bad

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are willing to learn and work, you can advance into assistant and store manager positions fairly easy.

Cons

The company can often make employees feel like they are cannon fodder, though they have gotten better over the past few years.

Listen to your store managers, most of them know more about whats going on in their store than the DM or RGM.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was great a over a year ago

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Wichita, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS (US)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I get to meet some really great people

Cons

High stress, month's and month's without a day off, absolutely no manager support, low pay, unachievable bonuses, company values don't show in they're actions, the store managers are held completely responsible for lack of senior management. Senior management spends most of the time going on business trips to sales meetings and are often seen at local bars right in town. While the managers need hands and feet on deck.

Hand it over to someone better. Your losing it and you have a lot of great managers and loyal employees counting on you all to get off your rumps and really get to work and see for yourselves. Let your managers manage and get rid of the goalboards, manager walks, AAction plans, we're busy trying to manage our teams and stores. Writing everything down won't bring your money back. Oh yeah and keep politics out of the business. Obama didn't take away full time employees you did. It's important for people to know that this company used to offer medical insurance to part timers as well as full timers and now they don't. No more full time employees either and they blame our President. Also roo cups are not convenient for our guests please try something better.

Not worth the headache

Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager  in  Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

No Pros for this company

Cons

Too much drama and it's a hostile working environment due to customers

Too much expected, not enough pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vicksburg, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vicksburg, MS (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing about working here is the flexible hours. They are willing to let you take time off when needed for trips and such if needed.

Cons

The hours they give are cut back all the time, part timers (which is everyone except management) get about 20 hours/week. They pay slightly above minimum wage, but expect employees (usually working by themselves) to complete a large list of required duties within their shift, while also serving all customers that walk in.

There are no benefits at all for part-timers (no vacation, no paid time off, no paid holidays and no insurance) and most stores are open 24 hours/7 days a week throughout the whole year, which means you will have to work most holidays. As for holidays, the company will only pay time and half for 3 of them, Independence Day, Christmas day, and 1 other (can't remember which one right now).

Consider modeling yourselves on QuikTrip. They pay their employees well, have more opportunities for advancement, and pay much better on the higher tiers as well as the lower. If you pay more, people are willing to do more, and stick around longer.

Loveed it

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun fast and love the folks

Cons

Robbery that's all that was my far

Keep it professional

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Deli Associate  in  Union, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Union, SC (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

I find it extremely hard to find pros for this company. Their pay is horrible and the management is even worse than the pay. I absolutely hated it.

Cons

Pretty much everything. The management was absolutely horrible, the store was unsanitary. Not to mention I was like the only white person there and I felt it was a little biased towards the african americans.

Review your store managers before you appoint them.

Lead assistant manager

Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

the customers and some of the other associates.

Cons

They pay here sucks. wasn't even making 10 an hr to be a lead assistant manger. The manager that took over the store I was at didn't even know how to do her job. She wasn't even trying to keep the back room straightened or doing her side job. I was pregnant and did more of my and her job then what she did. She couldn't even keep the safe right every time i would come in after her the safe would be off.

Learn how to do your job before trying to tell others they ain't doing theirs right. And quit letting third shift get away with NEVER doing their work. Also up the pay no one wants to make 8 or less for 28 hrs or less a week. Then this company wonders why they have such a HUGE turn over rate.

Worst job of my life

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free soda, really that is it.

Cons

Awful pay, you are lucky if you make more than minimum wage. Management is incompetent and easily the worst customers I've dealt with.

Stop micromanaging.

Worked for Kangaroo Express? Contribute to the Community!