Kaplan University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino

Gregory Marino

Pros:
  • "Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is a high pressure sales job"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They watch your every move and they are a sales job"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, but long way to go

I have been working at Kaplan University

ProsGreat people, fun work environment

ConsMultiple layoffs, lacks vision and employee communication

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees - Especially the Admissions Advisors

Greed is good

Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance if in right department

ConsThey like to sell to anyone who will listen that they are in it for the students. Complete lie. The senior execs, from Andy Rosen to Greg Marino (who got to his position because he is related to the former president of Kaplan Jonathan Grayer, not because he is qualified per rumors) are in it for the money and could care less about the students imho.

Advice to Senior Managementbad bad bad

Kaplan University Has No Clue

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
Plantation, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKaplan provides good work stations, adequate numbers of leads, and has good medical insurance. Training is also quite good.

ConsManagement has no clue. They establish policy then change it within 3 months. Upper mgmt is self-serving and fundamentally does not care about their advisor staff. Quotas are raised or changed as needed to keep those they like and get rid of those they no longer need.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a plan for the future and stick to it. Nurture the people that have been loyal for years, instead of throwing them out like yesterday's garbage.

Big Brother

Financial Aid Servicing Counselor (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing I can think of.

ConsMicromanagement, impossible incentive compensation schemes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees some trust.

Real Value of Kaplan University

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time

ProsI have completed my B.S in nutrition science with 3.91, which no way i could be able to get this in other traditional universities like California state university.

ConsThey enroll ineligible students to keep up their profits, that is why any credit transfers or eligible for getting a license will not be possible from this university.
As far as education level goes, Kaplan university is no way even near of providing a graduate level education.
Also, their classes are not transferable to other REAL accredited colleges or universities where you can actually apply for a nutrition license in future.
Their fees are also very high for the level of education they provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is true that Kaplan gives MUCH higher grades (GPA) to students compare to any traditional or REAL universities. It clearly shows a sign of business where profit is their main concern, not education. THE TRUE EDUCATION IS ONLY ACHIEVED THROUGH TRADITIONAL WAY (FACE TO FACE) AND THROUGH NON-PROFIT COLLEGES/UNIVERSITIES. Currently, for me that degree paper is a piece of trash, which i cant use it in any way. It is possible you can get a nutrition related job (non-license), but you will be required a lot of clinical experience. Another negative factor, you would be considered least in value from all eligible applicants, when you apply for a job. Best of luck for all of those who seek for real degrees.

Kaplan is where good professors go to whither on the vine

Professor (Former Employee)
Davenport, IA (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn the beginning Kaplan was a great place to work. That is when the academics were in charge and the focus was on the education part rather than the profit part. That has changed drastically.

ConsProfessors at Kaplan have absolutely no academic freedom whatsoever. The curriculum and teaching is all "canned" and controlled not by academics but by the coorporate side. The classes are so automated that professors really could stop showing up for weeks and the students wouldn't even notice it. Professors do not create the assignments, nor the exams, nor select the books, or any other part of the course. Professors at Kaplan don't teach, they are just renting out their credentials. It is all controlled by the man/woman behind the curtain.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe for profit model is flawed... It pushes the wrong people upward in the company. Instead of those who are there for the right reasons moving up, the power driven, profit motivated people eventuly win out and gain control. Then the company just becomes a profit machine rather than an educational institution.

Good intentions, horrible direction. Slow pace in getting the job done.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time

ProsCasual dress for the office.

ConsToo much red tape involved in getting anything done quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe segregation of lower level employees and execs is borderline pre-civil war South.

Toxic Political Wasteland

Media Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

ProsFeel like you're making a difference in students' lives.
Backed by the Washington Post.
Good work/life balance.

ConsVery political environment with invisible alliances.
Senior Managers often care more about self preservation than overall benefit to the company or students.
It is common for managers to take credit for work done by subordinates, or to downplay positive results that managers can not take credit for.
Do not upset the status quo or you will be isolated outside the main political circle.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate or perish. The online education landscape is changing and Kaplan may not be able to keep up if its core management is stuck in political gridlock.

Unqualified cold call sales nightmare

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

ProsIf there are any, none come to mind.

ConsProduction is king. Whether you're doing the best thing for the student or not is secondary. Your numbers are more important. Poor leads . . . these are folks that are, for the most part, looking for work and led to believe, by the aggregaters, that they are in the right place. The advisor is then supposed to get them into school. Finally, until the very end, management led everyone to believe that they were not going to close the site. They even lied to all of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hire for bright people. You should probably treat them as such. Your people know what's happening. Get rid of your young executive management team . . . they don't have the experience or foresight. Management is too prima dona in that the very good idea to have all of you do the advisor job for a couple of days a year met with such derision. Who knows, you might learn something that would help you get some traction in that market space.

A company without vision

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocated in sunny Fort Lauderdale. It has pockets of bright people. The idea of higher education for the non-traditional student is noble and worthy.

ConsUnfortunately, senior leadership rarely listens to those people. Lack of clear direction, tends to respond rather than lead proactively.

Also,like other for-profit schools Kaplan has focused on the profit side and spends more than 3x on marketing than instruction. Just think about that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to follow the University of Phoenix, be bold and forge your own path.

Worked for Kaplan University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaplan University reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino. All 152 reviews are posted anonymously by Kaplan University employees.