Kennedy Krieger Institute

3.6

Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein
Gary W. Goldstein

KKI

Former Employee - SLP in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - SLP in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Gained valuable experiences working with the ASD population. Everyone there is truly there to make significant contributions to the field and that is clear from the environment.

Cons

Benefits and salaries are on the low end for the hours expected from their employees. Would be nice to have more significant packages that are competitive with other areas of the market.

Would love for more emphasis on work-life balance. Loved the job but burnout happens too fast and more built in time off may improve overall productivity.

I love working at Kennedy! It is a great community!

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

The work that is being done is leading in the field and you feel so great to see the children getting better.

Cons

Sometimes, the work can seem like a lot and you feel like leaving. But then you see the kids doing better.

Great place to work

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Employees are hardworking and friendly. Institution serves a great community with an even greater cause. If you want to feel accomplished and fulfilled in your job this is the place for you.

Cons

The area isn't great but the facilities make up for it and security is available to all at all times. Benefits could be better.

Training and development programs could use improvement.

Not a "bad" organization to work for.

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Current evidence-based practices, association with Johns Hopkins, its tuition reimbursement benefit.

Cons

Low pay, dangerous work-setting (based on which department you're hired), not the best geographic location.

Provide more team-building experiences and strive for a more modern company culture.

Yikes- Clinical Assistant

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Patients are very interesting to work with. Very rewarding experience if you have the patience for it.

Cons

I got beat up. Its an extremely dangerous job. They don't pay you well at all for the amount of work you do. They are not flexible with the scheduling. You get paid 12 bucks an hour to get beat up by the children. I got punched and bitten on my first day of training. I couldn't even make it through training.

GET OUT OF THE OFFICE AND ACTUALLY HELP. Stop being so bossy and showing favoritism.

Great place to work, but only if you plan making it a career

Former Employee - Program Aide I in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Program Aide I in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

It is by far the most friendly and supportive environment I've worked in. I worked at the K-8 school for students with special needs as a Program Aide I. Good hours (7:30 - 2:30), free parking and transportation (shuttle), friendly supervisors and management. I loved the kids and classroom I worked in. Co-workers were amazing. Just a great environment if you can handle kids with special needs.

Cons

As a Program Aide, $12/hr is very low. The teachers and assistants have a lot between designing lessons, paperwork, meetings, and individualized education plans, but are compensated. As a Program Aide, you work one on one with students, helping them with work, social issues, and physically transporting them to a resource area if they become a threat to themselves or others (along with accompanying paperwork). That's all fine and good but $12/hr for one of the most hands on jobs at the school is low. Raises are also capped.

Management is always extremely friendly, helpful, and supportive. Consider budgeting more for your lower level employees and you would see skyrocketing turnover rates lower.

A great training experience, though the compensation is not so great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time

Pros

Great training at a world class institution; supervisors are fantastic;

Cons

The pay is not great and I was not a huge fan of living in Baltimore.

Continue the great training, consider bumping-up the pay.

Good place to work, not great pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Good training experience, good work environment, and supervisors are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

The pay is not good and I've heard that the work-life balance is not as good as it once was, but it was reasonable when I was there.

Wonderful Opportunity for Professional Development, Although Not Long-Term

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked on the Neurobehavioral Unit (NBU) for almost two years.

- Wonderful benefits (401k immediately after hire, tuition reimbursement, computer payment plan, health care, and all the bells and whistles).
    - Great opportunity to work in the field of psychology, autism, and applied behavior analysis.
    - Although hard work, seeing the patients from day one to the day of discharge can be very rewarding.
    - They are willing to work with you on your schedule, especially if you're a student (majority of the NBU are undergrad or grad students). You will be working evening shift for a while but, however, you'll be able to get onto day shift in no time, even as a part-timer. Just fill out the paper work and follow up.
    - The Program Specialists were always helpful and very supportive, especially if you've always been honest with them. (i.e., calling out, opportunities for growth, issues such as bereavement).
    - You are guaranteed an hour-long break.
    - Promotions open up often, which provides opportunities for growth for all employees.
    - You can shadow a therapist for a day shift. REALLY great opportunity in getting to know the behavior team and see what they do.

Cons

- KKI's policy on providing references is that it ONLY applies to KKI itself or for a college/university limits professional recommendations to outside companies.
    - Little staff appreciation. CA of the Month award always goes to the same 10 people each month and the fried chicken buffet every August means little.
    - Coworkers hate the job and openly complain about it throughout your shift.
    - Write ups occur often, especially over frivolous things. A rumor can get your fired.
    - Neoptism from management and therapist teams tend to reward underqualified and/or incompetent employees.
    - High intensity environment of the NBU leads to high turn over rates. People have even walked out on the job during shifts.
    - No negotiation for the already low salary. I was offered CA III for $12.85 an hour compared to my new job that pays significantly more and less than 10 minutes away from me.
    - Inflexibility of schedule logisitics. For instance, you're required to sign up for a certain amount of on-calls every six weeks, full-time must work Saturday and Sunday unless promoted, and part-time were required to work at least one weekend shift. Turning down on-calls and mandatory overtime result in automatic write-ups.

- Stop encouraging neoptism by Unit Coordinators, Therapists, and subordinates.
    - Appreciating your employees goes a long way.
    - Compensate your employees more.