Kennedy Krieger Institute

Add Photos

Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein

Gary W. Goldstein

Clinical Assistant I

Clinical Assistant I (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery hard work and out of this world experiences, people will not be able to relate to you or understand the work you do and that's what makes this job so special. Because you're doing one of a kind work and helping children and others with autism and behavioral disorders that are extreme cases from around the world.

ConsHard work. Be humble. Prepare to be a father or mother in training, you'll be picking up and cleaning your patient, and more likely yourself of your patient's pee, vomit, poop, and God knows what else. If something like this can turn you off, don't bother. It is an acquired skill to tolerate all these and definitely possible. Very stressful at the beginning but you get used to it, and stress goes down after 3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more rules, the less the job is enjoyable.

Mostly happy.

Developmental Pediatrician (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people. Positive work environment. It's all about helping children with disabilities and disorders of brain and spinal cord.

ConsLarge organization. Relatively low salaries.

Providing cutting edge education and research for children with special needs.

Special Education (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood environment, talented coworkers, great benefits

ConsLow salary range and poor parking availability

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible about telecommuting when possible

It is a tremendous opportunity to learn and grow with the best in the industry.

Faculty (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking on cutting edge research with industry leaders and world recognized personnel. It provides a diverse and challenging workload that can be very rewarding.

ConsLow salary and very demanding work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that tolerating poor performers is frustrating and demotivating to the top performers.

Hire people for their skills and not because they have family there

CNA (Former Employee)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Doctors and caring Physician Asst

Consno more family working in the same job area

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better training in dealing with truthful people not untruthful ones respect everyone no matter what title people LIE!!!!!!!

Great overall company to be apart of

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

ProsVery lenient with PTO
Not very many people you won't get along with
A lot of locations so depending on where you're at is where you'll most likely be

ConsCertain jobs don't have very much room to move up, more lateral moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf theres not much room to move up then allow for better increases. This can be hard though until the economy improves.

Overall Experience Horrible

Clinical Assistant I (Former Employee)

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time for less than a year

Pros1.Experience is good for resume.
2.Builds skills for hardworking and multitasking capabilities.

Cons1. Upper Management has a lot of attitude for no reason, specially the scheduling lady; shows you a rude attitude for no reason.
2. Unfair system, don't care about anything except there company
3. Schedule flexibility is horrible
4. Not understanding, write you up for dumb stuff; like being sick even with a doctors note
5. Very very very unreasonable at times

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to favoriting, just because someone had been there a year versus 7 months doesn't mean automatically you should be nice to the person who was there longer yet a terrible employee versus the 7 month employee. Learn to be understanding, and actually think your employees are humans. Were not trash for you to use and throw away whenever you want. All the employees work really hard in the NBU. We work harder then you supervisors who sit there in the room the whole time. Also learn to assign patients to the proper size CA's. It is the dumbest thing to assign the biggest patient to a small person who will head butt them a kill them at the spot. You guys have no common sense; and sometimes knowing you have your favorite employees and give them the patients they want. JUst out of favoritism but then the ones who are not your favorite are stuck with the ridiculous huge patients.

N/A

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

ProsGreat growth potential, and great salary.

ConsNot a family organization, don't care about there employees.

Overall satisfied, but there's lots of space to improve!

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsKennedy Krieger has a lot of great benefits such as a 401k (KKI will match up to 3% of your salary here), paid tuition, and reduced tuition (50% if I remember correctly) for your children. Health benefits, sick leave, and vacation seem to be very reasonable. I work in a position where hours are flexible. The staff is incredibly helpful and pleasant to work with. There is a 'pay it forward' mentality with respect to training.

ConsThe pay is considerably lower than what you'd expect from a government or private industry position. If funding runs dry, expect to see people let go until more prospects arise. Your work experience will entirely depend on your supervisor. I have witnessed quite a bit of favoritism that's based on personal rather than professional relationships. My experience with respect to supervisors has been less than pleasant - very unprofessional and immature, especially when comparing to such great staff. Being a hospital and research facility, expect to work weekends and holidays if needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to challenge supervisors for their actions and attitudes. You could really boost morale, and unlike staff, you won't risk your job for it!

Kennedy Krieger is a great work environment, filled with great people, and with a wonderful reputation.

Clinician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time

ProsThe administration is flexible and collaborative, the hours are reasonable, and the health benefits are some of the best in the world (Johns Hopkins). They are also very supportive of professional development, including providing some funding for conferences and trainings.

ConsIt is in Baltimore, which is not my favorite city (though it has its benefits), the pay isn't awesome, and there isn't as much inter-departmental collaboration as there could be.

Worked for Kennedy Krieger Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kennedy Krieger Institute reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kennedy Krieger Institute CEO Gary W. Goldstein. All 20 reviews are posted anonymously by Kennedy Krieger Institute employees.