Kiewit Corporation

Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock

Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros:
  • "401K and benefits package is very good"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Good pay and they have good benefits"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Long hours, little pay, do not see home very often"
    in 42 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

project enginner

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will have the oppurtunity to work on neat projects and be given lots of responsibility. There are aspects that allow you to be creative in your work to get the job done.

ConsCons – "Engineer" is the equivilent of "dung farmer". Everybody on the bottom is titled an "engineer" even if they do not have an engineering degree. This is frustrating to me and shows what little respect the company as a whole has for engineering talent and the profession. I am fairly certain that the only reason they are calling people "engineers" who are salaried is because they can get away with not compensating for overtime with this title under the labor law exemption of being a "professional". This allows Kiewit to abuse "Engineers" to the full extent of the law. I have worked 80-90 hour weeks for up to 5 months consecutively, worked nearly a year of Saturdays and some Sundays, worked 6 day weeks on night shift with start times changing by 3 hours every day so your 16 hour day leaves you with basically no sleep for the next 16 hour day. There is always a fear that even if you are done with your work before you put in your 12 hours that you cannot leave. I have caught myself feeling guilty for wanting to leave at 3PM on a Friday after arriving at 6AM and having done all my work and so I stay until Five "Just to be safe".They will harp on safety but NEVER admit that they overwork supervision. All your creative capacity will be stamped out within a few short years and you will be coerced into doing things the way they always have been done. Forward thinking is a term that is thrown around but is not the reality. Work Life Balance is a poster on the wall, not the reality. You will watch your less than stellar peers move up and recieve perks while your hard work will go unnoticed. Management does not like thinkers or smart people. They like people who will do as they are told and nothing more. Prepare to become very, very Bitter.

Interesting projects, good experiences, tough culture

Field Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery impressive projects, lots of opportunities to travel, plenty of responsibility for young engineers

ConsLimited exposure to managers, heavy work-load during projects, slow to adopt new technology

Advice to Senior ManagementWould really like to see Kiewit get more involved in riskier, high-tech projects. Conservative construction projects aren't helping to develop a smarter and younger workforce.

Uncertainty

Accountant (Current Employee)
St. John's, NL (Canada)

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice work place, Great co-workers, good salary

ConsNo oportunity to grow, Mangement really selfish

Good for Consultants

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation as a contractor

ProsHas been good for the consulting business

ConsDon't seem to have control of budgets

Look elsewhere

Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe coworkers were great hardworking people

ConsPolitics, holding onto 'turf', power grabs, and old boy networks are the norm. I've never worked for a more dysfunctional organization

Advice to Senior ManagementPeter Kiewit is rolling over in his grave watching his company lose the thing that made his company great; the employees. Management has completely lost touch with basic business service management.

"Appearances" are not reality

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMedical and 401(k) benefits are pretty standard. Co-workers can be good friends especially when working conditions aren't ideal.

ConsMany other reviews provide good insights. The company says it wants employees to have a good work/life balance...so untrue. It's interesting the corporate dress code is based on 1960's standards yet people in a department and different departments do not get along with each other. Lots of disrespect and backstabbing. Management doesn't see this or maybe they do and just aren't interested in addressing those types of internal issues - yet they worry about a strict dress code. Everything I was involved in proved to be very discouraging with multiple attempts to make me feel very "inadequate". I have been around the block for many years so it's not like I was just "learning" the job. My experience was completely a less than an ideal/acceptable work environment in so many ways especially when the critique of my work was made by others who performed inadequately in many, many ways. Those people couldn't figure anything out on their own; they had to have it spelled out for them - often more than once!

The company was recently listed on Fortune 500's Best 100 companies to work for, what a joke! How many years did they try and fail? Did the people at F500 get tired of Kiewit trying for so many years and gave in? Did people lie on the survey or what? That designation gives me reason to doubt Fortune 500's ratings of all companies.

Interns have given good ratings, of course they did! They were interns - meaning they worked a few short weeks with the company - too short to see and "live" the reality. Kiewit considers everyone replaceable. Unless a person likes to be single and have 2 activities - working and drinking, life is too short to allow a company dictate that we will work and work and work our lives away. I read the review stating the divorce rate for employees is very high, do not discount that comment. It's hard enough for those people without children, if one does have kids - they can forget being a parent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not going to share any advice for management as it won't make a difference in what they think and/or do. After all, they are already sitting pretty financially with no regard to the price their employees personally paid - which put them in that position of not worrying about their financial future or living/working by the standards they expect their employees to live and work.

Stressful and unsatisfying but a good work experience

Foreman (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Prosgoood safety culture and senior management is respectful of all employees

Consbunches of 23 year olds who are convinced they're future billionares run the show out in the field

You May Be A KieEmployee If...

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you’re a white male, new college graduate, arrogant, sexist, heavy-drinker, willing to move on a moment’s notice, and family life isn’t your priority, then you’re a KieEmployee and you’ll be well-rewarded. KieEmployees get stock via a controversial, mysterious compensation system.
If you’re willing to work for a KieEmployee, let him take credit for your work while he dangles carrots and promises; flirt with, flatter, drink with, and generally support a KieEmployee while you’re working a ton of extra hours, then you’re a B-Employee: still important to the Kiewit machine, and there are a surprising number of these employees in the organization. You’ll benefit from good healthcare benefits (which you’ll need) and a 10% 401k (which is frequently better than the stock program – 6% match and 4% discretionary company donation).

ConsAll others, look elsewhere.
- Ladies – there are no female senior level managers in the organization. None. Not one on the Board of Directors, not as a District Manager, not as a Division Manager, not as a Corporate Officer… There are some in mid-management roles, mainly because they are good B-Employees (see above). There are so many cases of talented women being overlooked for advancement, or for being selected for advancement based on an ability to flirt, or for being trashed because they aren’t willing to flirt/flatter/drink with/work for KieEmployees.
- Design Engineers – don’t do it. Kiewit considers design engineers a means to an end, a commodity, and under-values your work. Construction will force you into impossible deadlines, belittle you, bully you, all from a bar stool where way too many decisions are made and opinions are formed.
- Previously Experienced – Kiewit only believes in Kiewit experience. You may get hired, but you’ll be viewed skeptically, and your previous experience or opinion will not count for much unless they need your name on a new project resume. Also, Kiewit is wildly attracted to young employees and frequently mistakes youthful energy and passion as “the right answer.” You can see this for yourself if you look at the intern reviews on here. Your age and experience will work against you at Kiewit.
- Any employee other than construction personnel – all business personnel (HR, IT, Accounting, administrative, etc.) should really not consider working in this organization. The compensation for these employees is not competitive, and they are generally treated as the dreaded evil “overhead” and they're always worried about job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek diversity. There are so many young KieEmployees feeding BS to the manager KieEmployees, fueling damaging misinformation on up the chain of command, that you wouldn’t know that your projects are on fire unless a B-Employee buys you a beer with a bar napkin note under it to tell you.

Worldwide Opporunities

I worked at Kiewit Corporation as an intern

Prosgood pay, room for growth and travel

Conslong hours in remote locations

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, 401K, CO-workers were great

ConsSalary too low, hours too high, no overtime compensation- Upper management (PM and above) completely out of touch and unavailable. Employees are not treated equitably. If you become a pet of a sponsor you'll do well. Poor treatment of females overall including undermining their credibility and raises being half of what men get. Severe lack of integrity. Managers hide (and expect you to hide) safety and quality concerns. Sponsors even ask business managers to hide monetary losses from district management. Very shady if you have morals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more, give promotions to those who work hard, not long. Face time is ridiculous considering all the technological advancements that you've invested in and implemented. Expecting a "professional" to work more than 50 hours a week for less than $60k/year is ridiculous. Working 80 hours/wk is not okay- for anyone.

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kiewit Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kiewit Corporation CEO Bruce E. Grewcock. All 275 reviews are posted anonymously by Kiewit Corporation employees.