Kiewit Corporation

Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock

Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Kiewit has a great employee evaluation program with lots of opportunities for advancement (in 15 reviews)

• Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off (in 55 reviews)

• Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you're young and willing to move

ProsCompetitive pay, great benefits, being involved with building permanent structures, level of autonomy is great. There are great educational opportunities within the company that help you grow your career.

ConsMust relocate every couple of years, they don't practice what they preach a lot of the time, many managers to answer to

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to your subordinates. They don't like being in the dark.

Spare yourself a lot of stress and do not work for Kiewit!

Business Manager (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsSome great people to work with, benefits and RRSP matching contributions.

ConsCompensation is disjointed, women get paid less than men and new hires get hired on at a higher rate than current hires. Don't expect real raises and look happy when you get your 2% increase. Depending on which district you work with you may get paid less than others doing the same job in Canada with another district. There is no organization, turnover is horrible. One district has had turnover more than the entire amount of people the district employees in less than five years.

Do not expect to be promoted if you are good at your job. You will just get pigeonholed doing the same thing even when you ask to be transferred to another department you want to go to. Told no you need to stay where you when you ask your supervisor on a project, then try to ask your district supervisor and told no as well. It became obvious no one cared what was in your best interest.

Depending on district you may or may not have to move to remote places. They will pay for you to move but it causes conflict when you work on a job with multiple districts and some staff moved and others did not and fly home.

Management at the job level is terrible at communication. There is not enough buy in by senior management in helping office people get information from the engineers unless your job is losing money. Oh which leads into if you work in the office and are not an engineer you are totally disposable. You do not "make money" but cost money and your job is not respected at all.

The company recognizes it has a serious retention problem and sends out surveys at least once a year but things do not change. They don't listen or seem to care.

Expect to work a lot of hours. 10.5 is normal but you expected to work as many hours as necessary to get your work done, but it is almost impossible to get all your work done as when you get to catch up they load more on you. Work life balance is a joke. I had a lot of vacation time accrued and I only had one manager actually say that I should take it.

Also if you expect to be successful you better go out with the managers drinking and kiss up.

My advice is not to work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at equalizing male-female pay because it is not currently. Maybe make your office people feel like they are not just disposable as they are needed.

Kiewit Energy Canada - Engineer

Engineer I (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat work environment and a young staff makes for a very comfortable office. Site jobs are also full of good people to work with. Lots of opportunity to move around and learn different areas of construction/contracting

ConsVery little actual engineering, and zero attention paid to previous experience or education. Far from rewarding work for an engineer unless construction is your passion. Pay/compensation is below average for Calgary, dispite managment trumpeting how well they compete in the oil/gas industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to make it worth staying at the company in the early years before stock purchase is an option. Give engineers a chance to do real engineering, not just data entry and project controls.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internship, Field Engineer, Superintendent in Civil/Infrastructure Work

Intern/Engineer/Superintendent (Current Employee)

ProsGet lots of good experience and challenged. Great place to get your foot in the door and get the name on your resume

ConsVery long hours are expected. Very high work loads with low personnel to save cost. You are expected to go above and beyond your responsibility. If you do not meet your requirements, you are pressured to stay for even more hours. It is a joke around every job that we work so much and we get paid so low. Most engineers and superintendents don't like to calculate our equivalent hourly wage because it is so depressing. Be ready to move anywhere without any say and very last minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the people, not about impressing your manager. Most management are so caught up in making money in their operations, that they do not think about how many hours we are working or show much appreciation.

12.5 + hour days

ProsA lot of responsibility and actually felt like you job mattered

ConsWhat is work life balance? 65+ hour weeks

Two years tops and then move on

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWill learn a great deal about the industry. Nice perks. Health benefits are top notch.

ConsZero work-life balance. Favor some people over others. If you break down the hours you work (60+ hours a week) compared to your salaried pay, the pay is terrible. After a year or two, you will get burned out. Never any recognition when doing a good job.

Demanding work loads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and 401K program is above average

ConsDon't treat seniors well and demanding o0n work schedule
    If you don't meet demands of work your out

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your seniors better with respect and work life balance
    Stock program is a hook

Low pay and lack of career path

Engineer (Former Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsExposure to numerous interesting projects in many different industries across North America
    Good resume builder
    401k match is very good (compensation is below average, however)

ConsBelow industry average compensation with very poor raise/promotion structure
    Old-school construction attitudes
    Stock Program not the same as it used to be. Have to put up with relocating every few years for your entire career or you wont go anywhere career-wise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries company-wide or Kiewit will continue losing young and bright people...The stock program is not good enough incentive and very over-hyped.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good or bad experience

Earthworks Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and they have good benefits

ConsWork culture is very hard on your personal life

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more than 50 hrs per week

Hurry up and wait!

Estimator (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA (US)

ProsAll the resources you need are at your finger tips when you work for Kiewit. Everyone is willing to share ideas and help each other succeed. The work is interesting and satisfying. They pay pretty well.

ConsUnfortunately, when I worked for Kiewit the economy was at the bottom of the downturn. Kiewit was a standstill in their estimating department, which was where I was placed. Us interns did not have any substantial to do.

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!