Kimberly-Clark

Updated 24 November 2014
3.7

Kimberly-Clark Chairman, President, and CEO Tom Falk
Tom Falk

Pros
  • KC allows for ample growth opportunities and encourages a healthy work-life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Great people - good culture - people treat each other respectfully (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Too slow, awful performance management system, far too much bureaucracy (in 14 reviews)

• The Field Sales offices do not have as much work-life balance flexibility (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Operator in Ogden, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Operator in Ogden, UT (US)

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

KC really focuses on a safe work environment and has an excellent livewell program. There are many chances to get free product through safety drawings or safety milestones. There is usually some sort of livewell program going on to help improve your lifestyle. The schedule allows for days off during the week and allows you to have 3-4 days off each week in most cases (some overtime is required occasionally). There are a lot of opportunities to gain knowledge in different areas, but many jobs are temporary (then you go back to being an operator).

Cons

The schedule is rotating shifts which can get hard.

Layoffs Again?

Current Employee - Marketing in Neenah, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Neenah, WI (US)

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great products and some of the people I have worked with are terrific.
    Can be very challenging at times, but work/life balance does take a beating.

Cons

Company continues to downsize every 3 to 5 years making advancement impossible.
    Compensation continues to be below going rates and annual raises even for top performers can be at or below 2%.
    Keeps increasing employee health care costs every year which wipes out any merit raise.

Too many changes...

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the people are great for the most part, and the best part of working at K-C. Benefits are slightly above average.

Cons

The EU organisation has now merged with MEA into EMEA, and the workforce is being pushed to their limits. The great culture that had been part of K-C is being eroded as the business is under enormous pressure. This will start to effect the work-life balance that the company has been able to trade for mid-market salaries. Spend too much time fighting fires instead of pausing to fix a problem with something other than a short-term solution. the whole business seems to be making it up as they go along now.

Stop restructuring, or next time handle it in much better fashion. 3 restructures in as many years have left the workforce overworked and unmotivated. Put a plan in place before jumping into something huge like a restructure or integration.

I WORKED at Kimberly-Clark for about three years at Conway, AR Mill as KnB Op. (Not Irving, TX)

Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR (US)

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for mostly easy labor. Off every other Fri/Sat/Sun and they pay double time on Sundays. Most people pretty laid back and respect other's space. I was proud to be a K-C'er. Felt like I had it made. K-C's safety standards and product quality thresholds are no doubt industry leading.

Cons

Training only covers basics like loading materials and fixing simple problems. I didn't actually learn how to REALLY run a line for at least another year b/c every line I worked runs different. The machines are out dated. Nepautism runs rampit; my boss was 21 when he got promoted over applicants who over qualified. To me, it seemed like ops who showed up to do his/her job right were treated with less respect than those who goofed off all night. The "Good-ole boy" system is definetly in affect here. I I felt relieved when I had the oppurtunity to get out of that place!

Communication between different shift teams was a problem my entire time at KC. Teamwork is NOT a common occurance even between ops on the same line. Asset leaders should encourage ops to discuss any problem directly to the asset leader.

Working environment

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark part-time

Pros

Good benefit and company take care of you

Cons

Not much but lot of political surrounding around

Good company, culture change for the worse but on the whole a good place to work

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time

Pros

Employs great people that you can learn a lot from. Good graduate intake but they struggle to keep them as the grading levels are flat and it's hard to progress beyond a certain level. Benefits and pay are fair although new bonus structure combined with performance related objectives have changed the culture.

Cons

Open posting roles not always fair and decisions are made before people even know roles exist. Headcount reduction always round the corner and at the drop of a hat. Top talent treated well, everyone else left to battle through.

Be fair and honest! Keep your graduates happy they are your future and you invest a lot of money in them.

Overall good experience.

I worked at Kimberly-Clark

Pros

Very strong brands help this company stay competitive. International growth prospect weak in Asia, Mediocre results in Europe and good progress in Latin America. Plenty of resources with excess cash used for shares buybacks (i.e., not able to invest in profitable business growth/expansion).

Cons

Leadership lacks vision. Too much politics surround every decision and too much focus is placed on "check the box" accomplishments. Too slow to market. Not much entrepreneurship. Too bureaucratic.

More practicing what you preach. become more agile. Promote more entrepreneurship and merit based people development.

Electrical Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Coop in Jenks, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Coop in Jenks, OK (US)

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Kimberly Clark is a very mellow company. Everyone was very nice and encourage growth. Also, if 40 hours were achieved during a week employees were allowed to leave early on Fridays during summers.

Cons

The work load was not very challenge for an intern. There was a lot of busy work or unwanted work was given to the Interns.

Sounded great until change occurs.

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, for the most part. Benefits are good (those that you are able to use).

Cons

Disorganization and constant change of direction resulted in shifting priorities, confusion, and no opportunities for professional development or growth within the company. Training received was of little value.

Culture is not shifting, Have middle management follow through with the "Culture" and practice what is preached. People talk a lot but never act or follow through.

Company undergoing structural changes

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark

Pros

It is a Family oriented place

Cons

Short Term goals with frequent mid management changes