Kimberly-Clark

Updated 11 December 2014
3.6

Kimberly-Clark Chairman, President, and CEO Tom Falk
Tom Falk

Pros
  • KC allows for ample growth opportunities and encourages a healthy work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Great people - good culture - people treat each other respectfully (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • The Field Sales offices do not have as much work-life balance flexibility (in 15 reviews)

• Too slow, awful performance management system, far too much bureaucracy (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Too many changes...

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the people are great for the most part, and the best part of working at K-C. Benefits are slightly above average.

Cons

The EU organisation has now merged with MEA into EMEA, and the workforce is being pushed to their limits. The great culture that had been part of K-C is being eroded as the business is under enormous pressure. This will start to effect the work-life balance that the company has been able to trade for mid-market salaries. Spend too much time fighting fires instead of pausing to fix a problem with something other than a short-term solution. the whole business seems to be making it up as they go along now.

Stop restructuring, or next time handle it in much better fashion. 3 restructures in as many years have left the workforce overworked and unmotivated. Put a plan in place before jumping into something huge like a restructure or integration.

I WORKED at Kimberly-Clark for about three years at Conway, AR Mill as KnB Op. (Not Irving, TX)

Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR (US)

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for mostly easy labor. Off every other Fri/Sat/Sun and they pay double time on Sundays. Most people pretty laid back and respect other's space. I was proud to be a K-C'er. Felt like I had it made. K-C's safety standards and product quality thresholds are no doubt industry leading.

Cons

Training only covers basics like loading materials and fixing simple problems. I didn't actually learn how to REALLY run a line for at least another year b/c every line I worked runs different. The machines are out dated. Nepautism runs rampit; my boss was 21 when he got promoted over applicants who over qualified. To me, it seemed like ops who showed up to do his/her job right were treated with less respect than those who goofed off all night. The "Good-ole boy" system is definetly in affect here. I I felt relieved when I had the oppurtunity to get out of that place!

Communication between different shift teams was a problem my entire time at KC. Teamwork is NOT a common occurance even between ops on the same line. Asset leaders should encourage ops to discuss any problem directly to the asset leader.

Working environment

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark part-time

Pros

Good benefit and company take care of you

Cons

Not much but lot of political surrounding around

Logistics Co-Op

Current Employee - Logistics Co-op in Neenah, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Co-op in Neenah, WI (US)

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Competitive hourly pay
    -Opportunity for 1.5x pay overtime
    -Entry-level responsibility
    -Significant education/experience

Cons

-Lack of structure in certain positions
    -A lot of meetings
    -Some "problem solving" is fruitless

Be sure all positions have a good outline of responsibilities and lock down the training process further

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark as a contractor

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a great place to work to gain experience. But, its something that you can't move forward and ahead if you are a contractor. There is a lot of people that are willing to help you. There is a great attitude at the company. Management is flexible and open to most ideas.

Cons

Unless your in the union, your thoughts done really matter.There is little room to grow and advance if you are a contractor. A contractor has limited privileges. Many people are willing or ready to retire so there is going to be a lot of turnover for the next couple of years.

Understand how important IT is to the company. Realize that a full-time IT person is vital to any company especially on site support.

Good values and basically a decent company with a few rotten apples

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great focus on personal development and plenty of learning opportunities.
    Brilliant benefits scheme

Cons

It is very difficult to move up and the company expects a lot compared to the salaries they offer.
    A lot of Machiavellians at the top, talking the talk but failing to grow with the company's values

Develop more openings and roles which people can grow into

Career rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Maintenance Consultant in Fullerton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Consultant in Fullerton, CA (US)

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working here has enabled me to grow in terms of experience and knowledge.

Cons

Work-life balance hasn't been well. I spend a lot of hours at work. On the plus side... my boss is pretty good about comp time. 60%ish

Back off on implimenting soo many software programs requiring daily attention. It doesn't allow people to work through their core work to 100% capbilities.

HR Leader

I worked at Kimberly-Clark (more than 5 years)

Pros

A strong culture of high performance with very capable talent. Has made great strides in building and inviting diversity into organization, including at senior levels. Has transformed from an internally focused culture to one of market driven and customer driven.

Cons

Work life balance is very difficult to achieve especially as you rise in organization, although company strongly encourages balance. A bit of a paradox. Also a high relationship company where relationships truly matter to getting things done.

Continue to demonstrate value for diverse thinking and become a company where millennials will want to work. Continue to growth employer brand.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Operator in Ogden, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Operator in Ogden, UT (US)

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

KC really focuses on a safe work environment and has an excellent livewell program. There are many chances to get free product through safety drawings or safety milestones. There is usually some sort of livewell program going on to help improve your lifestyle. The schedule allows for days off during the week and allows you to have 3-4 days off each week in most cases (some overtime is required occasionally). There are a lot of opportunities to gain knowledge in different areas, but many jobs are temporary (then you go back to being an operator).

Cons

The schedule is rotating shifts which can get hard.

Great Place to work for Internship

Former Employee - Process Engineering Co-Op in Ogden, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Process Engineering Co-Op in Ogden, UT (US)

I worked at Kimberly-Clark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had projects ready for you upon starting
    Relaxed work environment

Cons

Focused on interns more at corporate office than in mills