Kindred Healthcare

Updated 15 August 2014

2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

• My pay is good , I'm a highschool dropout and they didn't really look at my resume so much as they looked at me as a competent individual (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the worst place I have worked or the best place I have worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY (US)

Pros

Shift differential, weekend differential pay, People I work with are hardworking, not lazy, and care about their job!

Cons

Upper management not very supportive, Employees are allowed to many points so bad employees stay to long.

Good & Bad

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

Pros

Co-workers, a strong set of policies & procedures, good support from upline.

Cons

So many cuts in healthcare reimbursement is having major effects at operational levels. For 2yrs no raises, no 401k match, still earning vacation but frozen at current levels. All while it appears that VP levels & up still had very high salaries & numerous bonuses. Too many staff cuts at operational level & at bed side.

Best career experience of my life

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison  in  Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Greensboro, NC (US)

Pros

Fantastic management, staff at all levels within company are very much appreciated

Cons

Training was an issue but that is pretty much the norm in most healthcare environments

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Current Employee - CNA  in  Wareham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - CNA in Wareham, MA (US)

Pros

Very team-oriented facility. Wages/Compensation are right where they should be and increase annually at a fair rate. The company also has some great benefits such as tuition reimbursement allowing for growth within the company at an ease to my wallet :)

Cons

Other departments could do more to improve the overall cleanliness and conditions of the facility.

Keep up the great work, I really enjoy working here!

Overall, a good company.

Former Employee - Social Worker  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Social Worker in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

They are striving to provide the best care possible for their residents. The company is always looking for new ways of doing things and try to be innovative.

Cons

They are consistently changing policies and forms!

Try to streamline some of the paperwork.

My 1st nursing job... while it was an overall good experience - there are some "deal breaker" cons!

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Greenfield, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Greenfield, IN (US)

Pros

Competitive pay, great co-workers & loved the residents & their families. Unit mgrs were active in care of pts & very aware of the condition of the pts on their unit & overall team players.

Cons

Mgmt could be more involved with night shift - rarely any communication/feedback, commonly underestimated how busy it truly was on nights with all the extra preparation work & "catch-all" tasks that noc shift was responsible for. Upper mgmt didn't understand acuity vs numbers from unit to unit - overstaffed on one unit & understaffed on another bc would make shift assignments based on numbers not acuity. You would often bounce from unit to unit making it difficult to establish a routine & pts didn't like the inconsistency.

Overall good mgmt team, but need to give more feedback (both good & bad) to staff which encourages growth of your employees. Consider working a few night shifts from time to time. Hire someone with experience in scheduling to reduce high turnover rate r/t bouncing employees around.

Management making rules as they go along.

Current Employee - Various  in  Lima, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Various in Lima, OH (US)

Pros

Loved the patients,families,co-workers, and physicians.

Cons

Discriminitory practices in the Lima,Ohio Kindred. One race is disciplined one way and the others terminated. You could get away with anything if mgnt liked you but if you complained they found reason to get rid of you.

Put qualified people in these positions that know policy and follow it.

Ups and Downs

Pros

Love my work environment, have learned many things to add to my skill set, have met some very good people at Kindred. I stay because my particular work environment, schedule, and rate of pay are satisfactory enough that I don't yet find the "cons" reason enough to leave.

Cons

I am personally offended that Kindred leadership opts to take benefits and pay raises from employees in the trenches while gifting upper management with ridiculously large bonuses. No one should be receiving extras while some are losing pieces of their standard benefits. No employee should be taking cuts while others are being lavished with extras.

I am also offended that with the insane buying power a company our size has, we do not have a better medical coverage plan. Kindred has huge bargaining power with so many employees. Instead, Kindred has given itself a cheaper price tag, leaving employees with ever shrinking coverage and ever increasing costs.

It is disheartening that we fill out these surveys every year and see no improvement. Kindred leadership can easily see where they are going wrong and the choice is consistently made to pursue profits and let the non-upper management employees hang.

Kindred Healthcare pays salaries on the low end of the scale. If you don't negotiate high coming in, you will soon have to go elsewhere to keep up with the increasing cost of living. Kindred has only given 1 pay raise in the past 5 or 6 years and this was not even a dismal 1%. Pay raises should be figured in to operational costs. Kindred has to pay more for everything else because inflation exists, employees have increasing costs, why would you think it is ok to skip out on raises and put your employees into hardship? If one does not receive raises sufficient to keep up with the cost of living increases, that person is losing money to stay with the company. I have seen many excellent employees go to greener pastures for better pay and benefits. I know of several more who are looking for new jobs and will be leaving soon. Kindred is losing talent due to their refusal to keep up with industry salaries and benefits.

No Christmas bonuses, no Thanksgiving turkey or ham. I've never worked for a company before that did not give a Christmas bonus.

Work life balance is fine, unless you want to take your PTO. My managers all take beautiful lengthy Christmas breaks that extend past New Years while we are not allowed to take more than a couple days. My managers are frequently on nice lengthy PTO breaks, but we are asked to flex time and work in advance instead of using our PTO. Then, we are only given a tiny window of opportunity to sell back the PTO we were not allowed to use and they only pay 70 or 75% of that value back. Not fair, since this is something we earned. It should be paid back 100% and we should be allowed to sell it when we need it or any time we reach the dreaded 160 hour PTO limit where we cease to accrue.

Even though I have listed a ton of complaints here, I personally enjoy my job and find my salary (for now) to be meeting most of my needs. I am happy with my job at the present time, but if the pay raises don't start keeping up with cost of living, there will come a time when I have to go.

My advice to Management is to pay attention to these reviews and your annual employee surveys. Almost everyone is angry about the lack of raises and the sub par benefits. Those of us with special skills and experience are being courted by recruiters all the time and these people are bringing strong offers. You are losing the talent that once made this company great. Weed out some of the deadwood. Cut back on your bonuses for the upper management and allow the people who really do the work and bring you the money to enjoy some of the good life. Happy employees will work themselves to death for you and spread good news about you to everyone they know.

Overall, good

Pros

It has Work/family life balance

Cons

Poor health benefits- too costly for a family

Sink or swim.

Pros

A wide variety of cases.

Cons

Patient prioritization changes by the second.

Caregiver-to-patient ratio needs to be lower to allow for appropriate care.

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!