King Soopers

Updated 23 February 2015
Updated 23 February 2015

King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 9 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Focus on the customer by achieving unrealistic goals

Current Employee - Night Crew in Aurora, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Night Crew in Aurora, CO (US)

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company values, good benefits, employee discounts, opportunities for advancement, good work-life balance, willing to train, safe work environment.

Cons

High turnover, not enough positive leadership, take focus off tasks and actually make customers number one priority, equipment is not adequate enough to complete job tasks, too much favoritism, double standards, non-management pay could be better.

Take more time to get to know employees and asking about the struggles and boundaries they face on the job, hold all employees to the same standards,

I just started here but I love it!!!!

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Thornton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Thornton, CO (US)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Willing to work with you on hours, very friendly to both customers and employees...

Cons

I have just started working here and so far there is nothing negative I can stay about this company

Overall an okay working experience, except sometimes poor management

Former Employee - Night Crew in Highlands Ranch, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Night Crew in Highlands Ranch, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good for what it is, but the overnight hours can be miserable.

Cons

Sometimes dealing with inept managers can be frustrating.

Great work environment

Current Employee - Cake Deco in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Cake Deco in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, great management

Cons

Heavy work load, stressful environment , have to work all weekends and most holidays

Cheesemonger- Murray's Cheese

Former Employee - Cheesemonger in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Cheesemonger in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

EXCELLENT training program by Murray's cheese staff. Their thoroughness with cheese basics, cutting, care, wrapping, Murray's history, salesmanship, merchandising, cheese pairings and cheese lore certainly makes new employees not only feel special, but more confident in their ability to perform right out of the gate. Murray's red chef jackets are earned by employees that have successfully passed an examination based upon their training modules.

Cons

Employees are required to taste and assess many cheeses per day. Lactose intolerant and/or vegan applicants/employees may feel uncomfortable and/or unable to comply with this protocol.

GREAT opportunities to change locations and/or be considered for promotions. With Murray's expansion within King Soopers, Kroger, QFC, Fred Myer and Ralphs, this allows for a multitude of options/openings within their system.

Poor wages and hours

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

Cannot think of any

Cons

Underpaid and short staffed Micromanages the store

Its Meh..

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

great work environment. Felt like family

Cons

Minimum wage. Managements goals is to pay their employees the least they can

Keep the good people by paying them accordingly. Don't be stingy.

NOT worth it

Former Employee - CAO Coordinator in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - CAO Coordinator in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance, 40 hours a week

Cons

The health insurance is probably the only thing this company has going for them.... That is if you can stick around long enough to get it. Part time employees don't qualify for health insurance until after a year of work. It drops down to 3 months I think if you're full time. I was hired on as a nutrition specialist, guaranteed 40 hours a week, which was nice, but the position is an ABSOLUTE joke. I moved to grocery as a CAO coordinator 18 months later and worked with night crew. Those guys bust their butts for minimum wage (9.13 an hour) while nutrition specialists stand around and essentially do nothing for almost double the pay. On top of that, you're only guaranteed 20 hours a week as a part time employee but can't have any other outside commitments. Who can survive on $9.13 an hour and only 20 hours? Wake up,
    Kroger and treat your employees like human beings. Another problem is that upper management and the "big wigs" at the main office have no concept of reality. They're so busy doing "walks" making sure everything is perfect when it's impossible to keep a fluid type of business like a grocery store where things change evey second up to their picture perfect standards. The warehouse sucks and often doesn't send product to the stores but bills them for it, or sends the wrong product, then we get reprimanded for not meeting our allotted out of stocks for the day. There is no space for displaying the massive amounts of random crap the warehouse sends too. We would get pallets full of stuff not on sale or that were dogs and it would sit in the back room for weeks, then were in trouble for letting it sit in the back room for weeks. Lastly, the atmosphere is that of an overactive high school. Gossip, cliques and drama are rampant!! It's enough to drive a person crazy. Upper management won't do anything about hostile employees. I literally have next to nothing nice to say about my experiences as a king Soopers employee.

Helps me pay my bills, but I'd leave in a heart beat

Current Employee - Produce Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Produce Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Management pay is decent, guaranteed 40 hours, produce is considerably easy

Cons

This always changing company is constantly thinking of ways to beat wal mart instead of taking care of their number one assest, their employees! The turnover rate is extremely scary and very alarming. It's even scarier that the turnover in managers is just as bad, because no one wants the constant nagging. The pay difference between clerk and manager is minimal, the only difference is the guaranteed full time status and so many headaches. This company has the biggest micro managers in the world. If corporate sends an email, I'm going to be forwarded that email and spoke to about that email by atleast 5 people. No one is taught to trust you as a department head, so expect to feel like a child at all times. Your expected to schedule a computer program and hit a certain percentage based on what they think you need to help customers, but expect your and everyone else's schedule to change because the program simply doesn't work, but don't worry, I'll sit upstairs two hours a week playing with graphs to satisfy the program only to be told it's not benefiting the store, lol. I've been asked numerous times to apply for store management, and with 12 years with the company, i know i could run my own store and would do very well, unfortunately, being on call 24/7, working 10+ hours a day, nagging your employees instead of coaching and developing, the constant stress from district management and higher... it's not worth it. That should scare this company, but they will promote anyone as long as your breathing, there are plenty of people above my position that are no where near deserving of their title, who get very little respect from the people who work under them. I could literally write a novel..

trust your department heads to run their departments. This job is not fun anymore. It's only a matter of time until you have no one with seniority or experience doing this job, when the appropriate and well experienced people have left or chosen to step down. Quit the "i got you" crap. Surprise visits and surprise walks are nothing but annoying. No one trusts your doing your job, so district management will walk stores unannounced and make your life hell, regardless of sick calls or lack of good help.