King Soopers

Be The First To
Add Photos

King Soopers President Russ Dispense

Russ Dispense

Pros:
  • "good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Most of the employees are good people trying to do the best they can"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working"
    in 7 reviews
  • "low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

King Soopers Deli Management Position

Deli Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is expanding in the market creating excellent job security. Union benefits are extraordinarily good. 401k available. Excellent plan for future deli growth of sales.

ConsTurnover of crew is higher then I expected. Not directly involved in hiring process. Union system precludes normal rewards for employees- better schedules and raises etc... Union scheduling combined with company needs and programs precludes flexible schedules for clerks. Hard (impossible with low seniority) to schedule around school or second jobs. Hasn't been an increase to base clerk hiring wage since March 2005. This has caused a slow deterioration in the quality of new clerks. No budgeted training hours forces new hires into trial by fire situation. All of this puts an additional strain on the management team.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Bad job if you're a student.

Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a nice, social environment. The coworkers and management were incredibly friendly. It was a good experience for a first job. It's easy to move up in positions - I was trained as a cashier after working there for only a month.

ConsThe hours (maybe it's just at this location) were not flexible at all and they had me working 30+ hours while I was trying to finish my last semester of high school. Courtesy Clerks get paid minimum wage to collect carts outside in extreme weather (whether it's 100 degrees or below zero). Very fast-paced environment.

Decent enough for what it was

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsWeekly pay check, met some really great people.

ConsUnpredictable schedules that may conflict with a school schedule if you're a student. I was told when I applied that my work schedule would not conflict with my school schedule; unfortunately, that was not always the case. Breaks and lunches are not always guaranteed, no matter how long you work during the day. Some managers get shrewd and mark off breaks you never took or push off lunches so other, older employees can take their lunches at preferred times.

My schedule was consistently changed after the posted time, rarely with any heads up regarding the change. Honestly, it's a game of getting good management versus those who are on the verge of retiring or want to be seen as up-and-comers for their own promotions.

There is little respect for your life outside of the company. Even if I worked an eight hour shift overnight, I could still count on my phone ringing less than three hours after I clocked out so they could call me back in. I had the unfortunate luck of being threatened with termination if I didn't come in, all because the manager on duty read the schedule wrong and assumed I was late to work (which I had never been).

Training: There was none for some aspects of the job, like balancing the overnight till on self-checkout.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect that your employees are intelligent beings with lives outside of the corporation. We are not robots that can be commanded do to one task until the end of time or until our batteries need replacing. That being said, please don't skirt around the truth when employees ask about the specifics of a certain item. We can read and understand that a credit card is a credit card, no matter what fancy name you give it.

Patience is a virtue, full-time not so easy at the store level.

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

ProsStore manager and department managers are good people and want good people.

ConsStart pay low and full time hours are very difficult to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is average or less although there is a lot of Computer based training (CBT). One session of CBT does not help when your on the grocery floor with a customer in front of you.
Computer based scheduling makes a department managers job very difficult when they are trying to do what's best for both the department and the crew.

King's is your typical corporate business...profits on the shoulders of the employees.

Bakery Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsMost of the employees are good people trying to do the best they can.

ConsUnrealistic expectations for minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick one focus and stick to it. Trying to be all things to all people typically results in poor customer service.

Don't expect to be a valued priority to the company unless you are on the salary payroll.

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at King Soopers full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRoom to grow at store level with various departments.

ConsStarting pay is horrible for all positions,
Courtesy Clerks are not eligible for and do not receive health benefits PERIOD
All other positions do get benefits AFTER 1 year of employment
Christmas and Thanksgiving are ONLY holidays you get holiday pay, everyone else on old contracts get holiday pay for EVERY SINGLE holiday.
No bonuses, No holiday bonus or incentives except a $1 store manager coupon if you're lucky
No time off requests unless you're in high school, otherwise you're expected to be on call at all times (not literally but they expect you to committ all your available time to bending over backwards for them)

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not treat anyone with respect unless you happen to be one of their favorite's. The company as a whole does not value it's associates with respect or dignity. Associates are not a priority of the company and the company did a great job proving it when holiday incentives were taken away from hourly employees just so store management and corporate could keep their twice a year bonuses.

Used to be a great company

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros10% discount on private selection/corporate brands.

Conshave worked for the company 25 years. They have no loyalty to long term employees. In fact, I believe that they will find ways to get rid of long term employees to make way for "newer" "fresher" people.

Cashier - Great company, nice stores, customers suck, be wary of unions

Cashier (Former Employee)
Evergreen, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

ProsWilling to schedule around school, decent pay, easy to change depts. and/or advance, solid company structure, competent management, great training, nice environment

ConsHigh turnover, not much or too much culture, ometimes corporate policy can be annoying, some depts. are union, which may be a pro for some. And you can't blame the company, but they do attract some snobby customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransferring employees to different stores when they advance to management is not always the best solution.

solid time

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

Prosoffice culture was on point, people were nice and friendly and i was able to learn a lot in the short time i was there

Consthe hours are tough, after a while it gets very boring and you feel like you do the same thing everyday

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Terrible Employee Relations and Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at King Soopers

ProsCater to the young, allow bad customer service and theft from employees.

ConsAge discrimination By Management,! benefits don't start for 1year, wages are lower than what you expect. BAD! Training is terrible throughout the store.

Worked for King Soopers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at King Soopers reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for King Soopers CEO Russ Dispense. All 99 reviews are posted anonymously by King Soopers employees.