Kinross Gold

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kinross Gold CEO J. Paul Rollinson

J. Paul Rollinson

A bad company in a cultural desert

Tech Services (Former Employee)
Round Mountain, NV (US)

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time for more than a year

ProsThe compensation is good and the lack of things to do allows you to save money. If you like the desert there is PLENTY of it. For those with little education, this is one of the last places in America where a high school grad can work up to making over $100k a year.

ConsThere is nothing as far as housing goes unless you get company housing. Even then depending on specific situations, the company will take your non-company house. Everything is at least a 3 hour drive away, including medical attention. The people are very closed off and unwelcoming.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo anyone potentially interested in working for Kinross at Round Mountain Gold Mine:

My immediate manager was AMAZING! He was very supportive and gave me a lot of confidence in myself. He was not a very hands of manager, yet very easily approachable on any matter. He sent me to and brought in tons of training courses and really built my education on very specific tools in my job. If it were not for all the other horrible things about the company and life Round Mountain gives I would still be working for him.

Now, the rest of management is another story. The whole system is a haggard, nepotistic organization. It ties closely to how small the community is (750 people). There is a very strong 'clique' feeling to the company and in other departments outside of the one I was in, people have been known to bully others to the point where they are run out of town. They have meetings for EVERYTHING including meetings to plan meeting (seriously). There is a very strong corporate presence that, especially HR, will use for their own gains. Depending on who a person may be, they will either allow them to do as they please. To others they quickly turn to the policy manual and reprimand them. They uphold a code of accountability that most upper management blatantly does not adhere to.

When I took the job I was given a relocation package, a moving allowance, and promised a specific company house and told that within the year it would get a new deck and front porch. I also negotiated an annual salary ~$3500 more then their original offer.

When I showed up I was not immediately given the relocation allowance that I was told would be disperse the moment I got there. I was put in a much smaller and older home then the one promised.Also, I later found out that they had not been paying me the agreed salary, but rather what they originally offered. This oversight affected money awarded to my 401k, health and life insurance, taxes for that year and the following, and stock contributions. In the near 2 years I worked and lived there they never built the deck or porch.

The last thing is that the place, Round mountain is an incredibly isolated town. In the classification of municipalities it is not considered a rural town, but rather a frontier town. The community of Round Mountain is made up of the Old Town of Round mountain (ghost town), Hadley subdivision, Carvers, and Manhattan. Old Town, Carvers, and Hadley are about 10 mile radius away from one another. Hadley is the newest area and was largely developed by the mine. Its a trailer town with a school (k-12). There are a few sports fields, and indoor pool that is only open June to August. The library is staffed by very wonderful and sweet people. There is a gas station that is privately owned and sells sandwiches. And last but not least the General store. Owned and operated by the mine, it is a total hustle. All products are marked up, especially beer, wine, and liquor. There is limited selection but they do take orders by the case of different products. The only upside is that the company subsidizes meat and you get good beef and chicken. DO NOT eat the pork or fish.

In the area there are no restaurants within an hour's driving distance; Tonopah offers very little option with only a Mexican restaurant, a Burger King and few hotel and casino restaurants. There is a bar in Hadley, one in Carvers, and one in Manhattan, each with their own vibe, but all pretty much the same rundown desert watering hole.

Good experience

Project Manager IT Infrastructure (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery god overall company culture.

ConsWorking with so many different time zones is sometime challenging

Good company, difficult work

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe benefits can't be beat. Very competitive retirement. Rural living in rugged & beautiful country, 'big city' pay without the big city hastles. This company does not want to lose it's biggest asset (labor force) and stays competitive when it comes to 'perks'. When layoffs occur they started at the top (corporate office), as opposed to the bottom.

ConsAs with any publicly traded business, the bottom line is what matters. The pace can be grueling and the stress level is always high - proessional staff must fight for and guard personal time; taking time to rest is a discipline that must be practised. Environmental regulations are insane (in Washington State anyway). Job longevity is limited due to the finite nature of ore, and the near prohibition state/federal regulations have placed on exploration.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your workforce. We know you by what you do, not by what you say.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time for more than a year

ProsYou could gain experience and responsibility if you were willing to put in effort.

ConsThe company experienced a decline and resources and opportunities declined.

It's good

IT Specialist (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Kinross Gold as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt's a diversified work environment

ConsTo much work to be done by fewer employees

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking hours to be minimized.

i have able to live in a good life and safety matters

Security (Current Employee)
Chirano (Ghana)

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKinross allways put peoples first.

Conssalary review is low as compare to other mining.

Advice to Senior Managementvery encouragement

great job in the middle of nowhere

I have been working at Kinross Gold

Prosgood pay , benefits and great management team

Consin the middle of nevada

Great place to work!

I have been working at Kinross Gold

Pros- Excellent culture, very warm and inviting
- Fast paced environment
- Plenty of room for advancement and opportunities to learn and grow

Cons- It is important to rest when possible because the pace is very fast

Great medium sized international company with small, entrepreneurial culture and aggressive growth profile and upside.

I have been working at Kinross Gold

ProsOver a billion dollars in cash. International opportunities. Great leadership and culture. Great support functions (HR, Finance, Environmental Affairs, and Safety). Wonderful corporate values. Aggressive growth profile. Fantastic profit margins. Able to manage and control own destiny as there are hundreds of opportunities posted every month internally and externally. Very responsible mining company that truly tries to live its values.

ConsIt is not for the faint of heart. Very fast paced culture. You have to actively manage your life balance or it can start to manage you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Great potential

I have been working at Kinross Gold

ProsCompany has a growing base of properties that have the potential to be world class. Benefits package is excellent compared to anyone in the business. Expences are paid quickly.

ConsHR is terrible. Communication is non-existent. Kinross seems unable to promote from within, thus you doa in the position you start with.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values you made, HR is terrible, thus you dont put people first. As long as the company only spends money to get people in the door, but not once they are in, the company morale will suffer.

Worked for Kinross Gold? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kinross Gold reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kinross Gold CEO J. Paul Rollinson. All 10 reviews are posted anonymously by Kinross Gold employees.