Koch Industries

Be The First To
Add Photos

Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch

Charles G. Koch

Pros:
  • "Intellectual challenge, smart folks and a company that is not afraid to take risks"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The long hours were due mainly to poor software"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good MNC, satisfactory management, good scope in future

Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Mumbai

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for less than a year

ProsGood job profile, lot of scope for future development, good industry

Consnot such big in India, u have to work in shifts even engineers

It is ok, not so great, not so bad.

Mumbai

I have been working at Koch Industries

ProsHigh standard of compliance and Ethics. Very good Global presnece. Highly diversified businesses. High technological products. Financially very strong. Long term sustainability is feasible.

ConsTo much involvement of involvement of seniors in small issues. No one to one reporting. Highly beuracratic procedures. Trust level is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust work on above mentioned Cons.

It is all about creating value.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe companies core values are more than just words on paper, the employees wear it on the sleeves. The availability of training is quite good especially in the realm of Market Based Management (MBM). Good training for supervisors. This isn't a company that quibbles about $.02 on an business expense as long as you can show that it was a legitimate expense. Employee population heavily involved in giving back to the community.

ConsThe pace can become "fast and furious" at times, maintaining focus, knowing what value you bring are important to keep in front of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course!

Awesome place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Koch Industries

ProsThe people are fantastic to work with

ConsHours can be long and the travel

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to them more often

Slave Driver

Accountant III (Former Employee)

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood Advancement opportunities.. Ability to move around and explore different accounting positions

ConsHorrible work home life balance... I was working 80 hours a week for 6 months straight.. I also had a baby a toddler and a little one at home. When I brought up the situation to my boss I was told "to move up in the world you have to make sacrifices" I left after that.. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family... The work atmosphere is like high school.. there is a lot of clicks and office gossip.. not a very friendly professional atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork home life balance is extremely important... get that in line and employee morale will boost.. along with productivity.. You need to care and show you care about your employees in and out of work.

Great culture

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsPersonal accountability, Meritocracy, Great People

ConsNone. I really loved working at Koch.

Best job I ever had bar none. If you want to see what you can achieve- this is the place to do it.

Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIntellectual challenge, smart folks and a company that is not afraid to take risks

ConsNot for the lazy- don't come here if you want an 8-5 job with breaks. Also, Wichita is not the most glamorous city.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you are giving younger folks a chance to move up- sometime they can get sidelined at too low a level because they are doing a great job that is a critical function.

Big company, good leadership. Compliance-driven, poor work-life balance

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsTalented, hard-working people.

Leadership makes an effort to practice what they preach. Company and people, including managers, are always striving to improve.

Ultra-conservative (this could be a pro or con, depending on your values and views.)

Profitable company. Competitive wages.

Everything is driven by the culture of "MBM Principles" (see the Charles Koch book "Science of Success"). One key element is allowing folks to challenge status quo or when something doesn't seem right. This includes subordinates challenging supervisors and others -- must be done respectfully, of course.

The company is trying to change things to appeal to a younger generation of worker... but slow going.

Performance reviews are very thorough and every effort is made to help employees improve.

ConsAs others have said, better make sure you are ready to drink the Koch kool-aid.
Huge company, so change can be slow -- like pulling a semi-truck with a bull rope.

Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta. Horrible commute times to downtown (depending on where you live.) Other Atlanta companies get this and support "work-at-home". At KBS, there is no official WaH policy (it is on a case-by-case basis, if you can justify it) -- mainly because the folks in Wichita all live 10-20 minutes away from the office, have no traffic, thus have no empathy for those in Atlanta.

Atlanta office is very depressing. It is grey and sour yellow, like a smoker's den in the 70's, with furniture and fixtures from the 80's. People look tired and depressed, and with good reason. No one would ever want to just "hang out" there, rather everyone bolts around 4 o'clock to catch their bus or train, for their 1+ hour commute to get home (or essentially any place that is more fun.) Not a good sign for productivity, of course.

So much training and expectations on compliance and security, you feel like big brother is always watching. This is part of why things take so long to get done.

Compensation is "pay for performance", which is generally good. But wage increases or spot bonuses are subjective. Some folks have gone 3+ years without any raise. As a Supervisor, it's basically up to you to justify how good someone is -- this could qualify them for a spot bonus or permanent compensation increase. The problem is your idea of great performance and corresponding dollar increase could be very different than another Supervisor peer in a different department. It depends how much you believe in your employee, how good you can write, and how generous your boss's are.

For me personally, I was not connected with the mission of producing more fossil fuels, making chemicals, and selling toilet paper. Plus occasional Security guards at the doors and people picketing out front is not inspiring -- not my idea of a warm and friendly company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand you will have to start attracting a new generation workforce. As such...
Update or move the Atlanta office, preferably to the Dunwoody or Alpharetta area (a majority of the team live on the north side.)
Invest in technology, training, and innovation. Create cross-functional teams to allow technical folks to better partner with the business units and feel connected.
Embrace work-from-home. Leverage the right collaboration tools and write policies to make it happen.
Keep striving to improve. Apply MBM principles, and don't be afraid to change (principle 7) -- not for just profit, but for the attraction and retention of great people.

Worst place I have ever worked at.

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of perks for employees. Cafeteria, dry cleaning, discounts, etc.

ConsI was treated like they did not want me there due to a change in management after I was hired. Training was horrible, different staff members trained me the certain way they did things so when someone else checked my work they would ask, "Why did you do it this way?" What made it worse was that the people who trained me wouldn't say anything knowing they showed me the wrong way to do something.

Advice to Senior ManagementI spent a lot of time correcting managements mistakes, however, they acted like I was the one who made them.

It has an upbeat company culture.

IT Service Desk Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Koch Industries full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work, a lot of amenities at the HQ building.

ConsOffice politics are too extreme. I feel as though I was not 100% welcomed. Diversity is a huge issue at the headquarters office. Most employeees treat you like a lower class citizen; lack of acknowleding a person when being greeted.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more concerned with the happiness of your employees rather than focusing on strictly the production. If an employee is happy, they will be more prone to work more efficiently in the workplace. My last supervisor was results driven and was not a people person.

Worked for Koch Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Koch Industries reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Koch Industries CEO Charles G. Koch. All 51 reviews are posted anonymously by Koch Industries employees.