KraftMaid Cabinetry

KraftMaid Cabinetry Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Timothy Wadhams

At the time, a company in flux

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

ProsGood compensation and benefits
Excellent product discounts for employees
Good job security

ConsLimited understanding of digital marketing
Beholden to over-arching parent corporation

Loved this company and the people that I worked with. Management at Ann Arbor has no clue how this company runs.

Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people and good company. Pay was very good and competitive.

ConsManagement in Ann Arbor does not have a clue how to run this company. No interaction with the employees that do the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for the employees help and advice. These people have valuable skills and experience!

Worst employment experience of my life - 7 years of hell

KAAT Builder (Former Employee)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay was decent for being a semi-skilled position that didn't require a college education. I learned how not to treat employees while working there -- that came in handy for my next job.

Cons1) As an assembly (KAAT) employee, your ideas are irrelevant. Don't bother bringing up your opinion, peon, and get back to work. You're not being paid to think,
2) Quality assurance is a joke, and is only considered when the QA department is auditing your department at any given time.
3) Hit your projected production numbers for the hour or else. Work harder, faster, and don't you dare make a mistake, If you do, you will be berated and made to stop what you're doing to fix it, then will be reprimanded for not hitting your hourly numbers. Rinse and repeat.
4) Management will lie to you in order to keep morale in that cushy spot between dissatisfaction and outright mutiny. Expect no more or less from them - they're in the same boat, just higher up the chain.
5) You and your coworkers will be reminded on a near-daily basis that if you don't like working at KM/Masco, McDonald's is hiring. So clever.
6) The half-assed JIT system is in shambles. Staging and milling are overworked and under the same conditions as assembly, so their output is rarely timely or in any way resembles a quality product.
7) Since we live in the United States of America, you may think that hard work and initiative will eventually be rewarded by increased opportunities, but get that silly idea out of your head if you work for Masco. You are a cog, and a disposable and contemptable one at that. Hit your pay ceiling (or don't) and shut up. No one is interested in any other skills or knowledge that you may think that you can bring to the table. Your ideas, if raised to management, will fall on deaf ears, unless someone in management thinks they can use them and snag all the credit for it. If someone in middle-management has their eye on you to become a supervisor, DO NOT TAKE THE BAIT. I saw MANY good, hard workers go down that path and lose their jobs when the going got tough, with no option to return to their prior positions.
8) You are expected to have the utmost loyalty to Masco/Kraftmaid, but that is a one-way street. Do not make the mistake of thinking that this company cares one iota about its employees.
9) This company is a sinking ship. If you haven't already, get a backup plan and get the hell out of there, unless you want to be let go at the same time as everyone else. The job pool will be diluted and it will likely be very difficult to find something else, as you'll be competing with your former corowkers.
10) I could really write a book about the horrible way this company conducts itself, but I have leaves to rake. Maybe I'll add more if this site lets me edit my post.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, guys. Eventually, you'll whittle this company down to nothing and will get the opportunity to spread your cancerous business ideologies to other firms.

Crazy dictatorship.. Managers and supervisors are so scared of losing their jobs, they're just a bunch of yes men.

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

ProsDecent pay
cheap and good benefits

ConsCompany is in financial crisis
Micro-managing Leadership
No Job Security
Location is in the middle of no-where
No upward mobility
No development opportunities
Horrible company and sales outlook
Equipment is in dire straits
Slimy business practices
Very under-educated leadership
No work/life balance
Noisy environment

Advice to Senior ManagementSell!

Someone put this company out of its misery!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

ProsSome of the stupidity was laughable. Some of it could have been laughable had it not been so unbelievable.

Cons1. You have people in positions of power that know NOTHING about engineering, systems, quality, etc... The fact that these morons think that they knew something was even more entertaining.
2. There wasn't any innovation in this company...just a bad verson of the "The Little Train that could." Projects were being recycled over and over, each time the result was a painful death. Maybe a note to self: Changing paint color isn't considered innovative in the real world. As Mr. Webster states: Definition of INNOVATION. something (as a device) created for the first time through the use of the imagination.
3. Your intelligence is the average of your peers. So when you have to have an employee development class on how to read a tape measurer...well, what can I say? I would laugh except it just wasn't as funny to experience. Seriously.
4. "Run, Forest, Run!" Get the hell out if you haven't already. If there was an option to not give this company any stars, I would. Working there was the worst experience of my life. Working for a bipolar insecured boss that looked like a tree stump, priceless. I now have stories to tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse and actually read a book about how to properly manage your people. Degrading and intimidating them actually makes you look more like the village idiot (and that's disturbing since you're surrounded by idiots already). Get rid of the Kraftmaid "Lifers" who are still left at the top. You need new blood that knows something about the 21st century technology. Lastly, you need to take a look at some of these upper management lying about their qualifications.

Hard work and takes a toll on your body

Builder (Former Employee)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pay is not bad and if you count benefits and 401k your doing okay for a job that requires no college degree.

ConsPoor leadership that makes the floor employees feel forgotten.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like humans

Employees are made aware how expendable they are on this sinking ship.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry

ProsThe pay rate is excellent.

ConsThere is no autonomy granted to employees. Masco/Kraftmaid pulls the wool over employee's eyes concerning company wide decisions that have an impact on their livelihoods. For instance, days prior to a layoff all coordinators on the production floor reassured their departments that an upcoming layoff was just a rumor. Two days later a memo was posted stating that if an employee's hire date was prior to the date listed that they would have to be let go. After said employees were laid off there was not enough individuals left for all departments to function properly. Management is all about passing the buck here.....accountability is moved from one managers shoulders to the next down until an issue is forgotten rather than resolved. The housing market/scam of 2007 can only be blamed for so long before management re-evaluates decisions they have made.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany wide meetings with the president of the company that are relayed via pre-recorded media is a blatant disregard for employee's opinions and/or feelings. In reference to the question below about Tom Chieffe...he is no longer with the company. He resigned as he was able to foresee the company declining.

Very compartmentalized even in your own team, I believe everyone was scared to say what was on their minds

Sales (Former Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry

ProsVery high tech office space

ConsHold a meeting for every little thing
Lack of structure as far as processes on what to do
Everyone was out for themselves -a feeling of scared

Advice to Senior Managementhold more team building events
Remove the fear from the organization

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Account Representative for the Home Depot (Former Employee)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry

ProsGood co-workers, that is about it.

ConsTerrible management
They bug your car and phone, called me once when I was going 5 mph of the speed limit.
Only care about the $.
MASCO retail cabinet group - stay away from.

Advice to Senior ManagementLay off the micro management.

average

Quality Assurance Auditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry

ProsWhen the economy is good, the work is all you want. For the most part there is no limit to overtime.

ConsWhen the economy is good and there is alot of work, you can get jobs you might not want to do .

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to relize that drinking the kool aide, and forgetting where they come from is not always the best thing. Not all hourly people are too be looked down at.

Worked for KraftMaid Cabinetry? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KraftMaid Cabinetry reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for KraftMaid Cabinetry CEO Timothy Wadhams. All 15 reviews are posted anonymously by KraftMaid Cabinetry employees.